SATURDAY, September 27th, 2008

Hey everyone, I am running out the door to go to Rachels Birthday Party @ Englewood Beach... If you arecoming and you have any questions about where to go, then call me: (941)258-0719

I will post my comments about the devotions later on...

Genesis 44

1 And he commanded the steward of his house, saying, “Fill the men’s sacks with food, as much as they can carry, and put each man’s money in the mouth of his sack.
2 Also put my cup, the silver cup, in the mouth of the sack of the youngest, and his grain money.” So he did according to the word that Joseph had spoken.
3 As soon as the morning dawned, the men were sent away, they and their donkeys.
4 When they had gone out of the city, and were not yet far off, Joseph said to his steward, “Get up, follow the men; and when you overtake them, say to them, ‘Why have you repaid evil for good?
5 Is not this the one from which my lord drinks, and with which he indeed practices divination? You have done evil in so doing.’”
6 So he overtook them, and he spoke to them these same words.
7 And they said to him, “Why does my lord say these words? Far be it from us that your servants should do such a thing.
8 Look, we brought back to you from the land of Canaan the money which we found in the mouth of our sacks. How then could we steal silver or gold from your lord’s house?
9 With whomever of your servants it is found, let him die, and we also will be my lord’s slaves.”
10 And he said, “Now also let it be according to your words; he with whom it is found shall be my slave, and you shall be blameless.”
11 Then each man speedily let down his sack to the ground, and each opened his sack.
12 So he searched. He began with the oldest and left off with the youngest; and the cup was found in Benjamin’s sack.
13 Then they tore their clothes, and each man loaded his donkey and returned to the city.
14 So Judah and his brothers came to Joseph’s house, and he was still there; and they fell before him on the ground.
15 And Joseph said to them, “What deed is this you have done? Did you not know that such a man as I can certainly practice divination?”
16 Then Judah said, “What shall we say to my lord? What shall we speak? Or how shall we clear ourselves? God has found out the iniquity of your servants; here we are, my lord’s slaves, both we and he also with whom the cup was found.”
17 But he said, “Far be it from me that I should do so; the man in whose hand the cup was found, he shall be my slave. And as for you, go up in peace to your father.”
Judah Intercedes for Benjamin
18 Then Judah came near to him and said: “O my lord, please let your servant speak a word in my lord’s hearing, and do not let your anger burn against your servant; for you are even like Pharaoh.
19 My lord asked his servants, saying, ‘Have you a father or a brother?’
20 And we said to my lord, ‘We have a father, an old man, and a child of his old age, who is young; his brother is dead, and he alone is left of his mother’s children, and his father loves him.’
21 Then you said to your servants, ‘Bring him down to me, that I may set my eyes on him.’
22 And we said to my lord, ‘The lad cannot leave his father, for if he should leave his father, his father would die.’
23 But you said to your servants, ‘Unless your youngest brother comes down with you, you shall see my face no more.’
24 “So it was, when we went up to your servant my father, that we told him the words of my lord.
25 And our father said, ‘Go back and buy us a little food.’
26 But we said, ‘We cannot go down; if our youngest brother is with us, then we will go down; for we may not see the man’s face unless our youngest brother is with us.’
27 Then your servant my father said to us, ‘You know that my wife bore me two sons;
28 and the one went out from me, and I said, “Surely he is torn to pieces”; and I have not seen him since.
29 But if you take this one also from me, and calamity befalls him, you shall bring down my gray hair with sorrow to the grave.’
30 “Now therefore, when I come to your servant my father, and the lad is not with us, since his life is bound up in the lad’s life,
31 it will happen, when he sees that the lad is not with us, that he will die. So your servants will bring down the gray hair of your servant our father with sorrow to the grave.
32 For your servant became surety for the lad to my father, saying, ‘If I do not bring him back to you, then I shall bear the blame before my father forever.’
33 Now therefore, please let your servant remain instead of the lad as a slave to my lord, and let the lad go up with his brothers.
34 For how shall I go up to my father if the lad is not with me, lest perhaps I see the evil that would come upon my father?”

13 comments:

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

woops... i got ahead of the story a little bit yesterday...

SORRY!!

but ya..
this is funny..

how joseph put the cup in the sack to get the people to come back

he put the cup in the youngest of the brothers sack...

because the youngest brother had the strongest relationship..

and when they got back..

they realized it was josph and joseph had given them them all the food they needed for free!!

HOW COOL!?!?

PEACE

Godservant said...

This chapter is confusing, especially since I am very tired.

Anyway Joseph loved his brothers, even though they betrayed him, and even Joseph is serving them by giving them money and extra food. Talk about being humble!

Forgive me if what I said has completly made no sense. I'm not entirly in the game today.

Godservant said...

Rachel, I hope you had a good birthday party!

Anonymous said...

Happy birtday Rachel!


Where is the mouth of the sack is that the top of it? I think Paul Newman died today.Wow it was Joseph who gave them the food. I really didn't get this passage that much Sorry.

Anonymous said...

SO they set out on a journey to the land of canaan. So I think Joesoph is yelling at his servants about putting the Lords cup in their sack or something. So in verse 9 I think that guy said who ever I find the Lord's cup in their sack will have to die. So he finds it in the youngest boy sack. The dad can't leave his boy so the servant had to stay.

Tylermon33 said...

this starts out after the brothers ate with joseph that joseph gave them their food and put a gold cup in one of his brothers sacks and they didn't know about the cup. so then joseph stops them and searches their stuff and finds the cup. they are so suprised and shocked. then joseph tells them to leave one of their brothers there while they go get their younger brother or he will not give them food. then they tell joseph what will happen to his dad and how upset he will be if this happens but joseph didn't care and left it at that. so if josephs brothers didn't sell him into slavery and lie about what happened to their father then they wouldn't be in this situation and their father wouldn't be so upset. so we need to make the right choices now in our lives because it will come back to us good or bad.

Rachel☺; said...

Thankyou for coming today pastor Lee & Katie & Will im eating gummy bears as a type. (:

wow... its taking FOREVER to get to the happy part...
im not even going to predict it anymore.

So Joseph set up a witty little plan to see a reaction from his brothers.
We see that the brothers really did learn from their past mistakes against Joseph. Judah was willing to let himsel be taken instead of Benjamin because he didnt want to hurt his father, and te brothers were worried about the taking of benjamin because they remembered the affects of the situation with Joseph.
I think this is a good example of learning from your sinful mistakes and ceasing to commit them after your realize it.
I know sometimes ill do something stupid and it will come back and slap me in the face!;
Instead i should remember how my sin leads to my destruction and fixate myself on God plans instead.

& m VERY, VERYY tired so if my post was a bunch off hoopla, im sorry.

HADOKEN!!! said...

awww man I wish I had known about the party I would have definetly gone. Srry Rachel.

I had a bit of trouble with this one. I'm pretty sure it is all about forgivness. Even though Joseph's brothers turned on him he still forgave them and gave them food and money. We should all be that forgiving to our friends and family.

Anonymous said...

I think what ultimately jumped out to me out of this passage is that God can make anything turn out for His good. When you think about what happened in the beginning of this story you think that this was just a horrible situation. Just like in this story Joseph had an ultimate motive, sometimes the same thing happens with us. We see a situation that just looks awful. We can't understand why this is happening to us, but God has His ultimate plan. We know that Romans tells us that all things work together for God's glory. This passage is a great reminder of how faithful God is, even in the situations that seem so unpleasant.

weird high school kid said...

REVENGE well sorta, more like a strategic mastermind. This guy is keeping a cool head while seeing out his plan to see his father once again, and all while making his bros show remorse of fateful day they chucked him into a well. So really not much about this passage to talk about just joey is a very smart dude and if he were alive today, and if he were running for pres., I would so totally vote for him.

did most of this devo at like 5, but i never hit post till well now i guess.

Anonymous said...

okay i gottta go get ready for church but pastor lee i will make up this later!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Joseph found out that his brothers really have changed. Judah was willing to give himself up for the sake of his father. Certainly they were wrong in their doings when they sold Joseph into slavery, however, he had to Lord behind him and managed to rise up to great things. This bible passage reminds us that we must always respect our Mother and Father, doing our best to care for them in their old age; also we must forgive those that sin against us and be kind to them as well. I am so excited to see what happens next. This story is really a story of devotion and faith on the part of Joseph, but also of forgiveness that had to be really hard for him.

-Sorry I wasn't on yesterday I was spending time with my family but I didn't want to miss out on the story. See you later at church. :]


Rachel Evelyn.

BULLS ARE 5-0 AS OF LAST NIGHT.
TUNE INTO ESPN2 THIS SATURDAY TO WATCH ANOTHER GREAT GAME.

Amy :) said...

Its so cool that Joseph put the cup in the sack of the yougest one, because he had the strongest relationship with him. He was the one that wept when we thought that his brother was dead but the other brothers didnt cause they were a part of them lieing about Joseph. I would have probably done that too. If i had a good relationship with my brother or sister.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!