THURSDAY, September 25th, 2008

Hey Everyone! I hope you were able to make it to church last night. If not, let me share something with you that you missed...

In the last 15 days we have had over 60 different teenagers in our church. WOW! That is great, and only a few of them were first tiem visitors. Let me tell you what my point is... on any given Wednesday night we have around 40. So if EVERYONE would just COME TO CHURCH FAITHFULLY then we would easily be running over 50. That is my desire: That is my goal. So, lets do it!

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Anonymous: So one of you wise guys/ girls made your personal screen name anonymous... wow!
I am suprised that was not taken already.
Mallory: We missed you in church last night!
Jessica M: We misseed you last night!
EVERYONE: I really really really want you to come to Jacksonville's college Days Trip at Trinity if you are in 10th, 11th, and 12th grade. We are leaving one week from today! It will be a great time with lots of fun!!! Have I ever let you down before? I think not!

Genesis 42

1 When Jacob saw that there was grain in Egypt, Jacob said to his sons, “Why do you look at one another?”
2 And he said, “Indeed I have heard that there is grain in Egypt; go down to that place and buy for us there, that we may live and not die.”
3 So Joseph’s ten brothers went down to buy grain in Egypt.
4 But Jacob did not send Joseph’s brother Benjamin with his brothers, for he said, “Lest some calamity befall him.”
5 And the sons of Israel went to buy grain among those who journeyed, for the famine was in the land of Canaan.
6 Now Joseph was governor over the land; and it was he who sold to all the people of the land. And Joseph’s brothers came and bowed down before him with their faces to the earth.
7 Joseph saw his brothers and recognized them, but he acted as a stranger to them and spoke roughly to them. Then he said to them, “Where do you come from?” And they said, “From the land of Canaan to buy food.”
8 So Joseph recognized his brothers, but they did not recognize him.
9 Then Joseph remembered the dreams which he had dreamed about them, and said to them, “You are spies! You have come to see the nakedness of the land!”
10 And they said to him, “No, my lord, but your servants have come to buy food.
11 We are all one man’s sons; we are honest men; your servants are not spies.”
12 But he said to them, “No, but you have come to see the nakedness of the land.”
13 And they said, “Your servants are twelve brothers, the sons of one man in the land of Canaan; and in fact, the youngest is with our father today, and one is no more.”
14 But Joseph said to them, “It is as I spoke to you, saying, ‘You are spies!’
15 In this manner you shall be tested: By the life of Pharaoh, you shall not leave this place unless your youngest brother comes here.
16 Send one of you, and let him bring your brother; and you shall be kept in prison, that your words may be tested to see whether there is any truth in you; or else, by the life of Pharaoh, surely you are spies!”
17 So he put them all together in prison three days.
18 Then Joseph said to them the third day, “Do this and live, for I fear God:
19 If you are honest men, let one of your brothers be confined to your prison house; but you, go and carry grain for the famine of your houses.
20 And bring your youngest brother to me; so your words will be verified, and you shall not die.” And they did so.
21 Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.”
22 And Reuben answered them, saying, “Did I not speak to you, saying, ‘Do not sin against the boy’; and you would not listen? Therefore behold, his blood is now required of us.”
23 But they did not know that Joseph understood them, for he spoke to them through an interpreter.
24 And he turned himself away from them and wept. Then he returned to them again, and talked with them. And he took Simeon from them and bound him before their eyes.

The Brothers Return to Canaan
25 Then Joseph gave a command to fill their sacks with grain, to restore every man’s money to his sack, and to give them provisions for the journey. Thus he did for them.
26 So they loaded their donkeys with the grain and departed from there.
27 But as one of them opened his sack to give his donkey feed at the encampment, he saw his money; and there it was, in the mouth of his sack.
28 So he said to his brothers, “My money has been restored, and there it is, in my sack!” Then their hearts failed them and they were afraid, saying to one another, “What is this that God has done to us?”
29 Then they went to Jacob their father in the land of Canaan and told him all that had happened to them, saying:
30 “The man who is lord of the land spoke roughly to us, and took us for spies of the country.
31 But we said to him, ‘We are honest men; we are not spies.
32 We are twelve brothers, sons of our father; one is no more, and the youngest is with our father this day in the land of Canaan.’
33 Then the man, the lord of the country, said to us, ‘By this I will know that you are honest men: Leave one of your brothers here with me, take food for the famine of your households, and be gone.
34 And bring your youngest brother to me; so I shall know that you are not spies, but that you are honest men. I will grant your brother to you, and you may trade in the land.’”
35 Then it happened as they emptied their sacks, that surprisingly each man’s bundle of money was in his sack; and when they and their father saw the bundles of money, they were afraid.
36 And Jacob their father said to them, “You have bereaved me: Joseph is no more, Simeon is no more, and you want to take Benjamin. All these things are against me.”
37 Then Reuben spoke to his father, saying, “Kill my two sons if I do not bring him back to you; put him in my hands, and I will bring him back to you.”
38 But he said, “My son shall not go down with you, for his brother is dead, and he is left alone. If any calamity should befall him along the way in which you go, then you would bring down my gray hair with sorrow to the grave.”

My, how the tables have turned... This is my favorite part of the entire story of Joseph. Joseph is hanging out one day by the store houses in Egypt, when he looks down and sees all of his brothers bowing down to him. He MUST have remembered that dream that he had long ago, where this same thing happened to him. That was the dream that made his brothers so angry, yet now they were on their knees before their brother, Joseph. That a great story.

I do not think I would have been as kind as Joseph was to his brothers. He wanted to test them to find out if they had changed their heart from the days when they sold him into slavery. They had. He saw their repentance and regret for the decision they had made many years before and that brought Joseph to tears.

What is so interesting to me, is that this scenario is many many years after they sold Joseph into slavery, yet clearly it was something that was still on their minds daily. Wow! Think about how long it had been, yet they were still troubled over their decision.

That is what sin does... you commit one sin, and it will destroy you for years until you get forgiveness for it.

Well, Joseph trusted God through thick and thin and now he finds himself on top, I am excited to see what happens in tomorrows chapter.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must have been really hard for Joseph to see his brothers so hurt over their actions. I believe this story shows how God feels when we are upset over our sins but still do not come to him. He will take all of the pain and suffering away if only we will just come to him. He will put us on top, just as he did for Joseph and the people who once scorned us will be at our feet. This may not be today or tomorrow and that is where trust and faith come into the picture. Each and everyday we must praise the Lord so that we can enter into his glory as we walk in his will.
I know that I struggle often with just giving all of myself to God and remembering that when I sin it is not the end of the world or something that I should dwell on, God doesn't want that for his people.

-One more day until I come home!-

- Rachel

It's pretty awesome...I am at burger king right now on my lap top. I know Michael McCue would cringe because he hates fast food but hey, I was hungry and I have class at two. :] You have to love college...sometimes.

Amy :) said...

That would be kinda funny to watch Josephs life, like one time Jo's brothers were beating him up and pretended that he was dead and did all these horrible things to him and the next moment his bro's are bowing on the floor to him because he is the king of Egypt! WOW!!! Wat a life!!

I love the life of Joe, they should make a movie about it but in modern times!!-it would be so good!! His life is an example of if you trust in God you will have no problems!!

Godservant said...

"You cannot sin and win."
-Pastor Lee Tomlin

This quote should be one of those famous quotes because it is used in just about every chapter in the Bible including this one. Joseph's brothers sinned against Joseph by selling him into slavery. It has been on their mind ever since. And now they have to pay for it. Pastor Lee should and will soon be known as... "The next apostle Paul."

Anonymous said...

A Handicap parking sign does not signify that this spot is for handicapped people. It is actually in fact a warning, that the spot belongs to Chuck Norris and that you will be handicapped if you park there.

Jonathan M. said...

Wow sin does bad things i mean look there still thinking about what they did and thats domething i think we will always have on our minds even if you ask for forgivness and thats why we just shouldnt do it in the first place and i dont know why joseph was being so mean i would think he would forgivven them by now.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Wow Jon luv the miley cyrus picture! lol an you finally got your own blog account! Anyways Sorry I couldnt come last night Pastor Lee or do my devotions...I had some homework I had to get done and we were on the way out to the car to go to church and I hit my head with the car door when I opened it which leads to other stories that would have made me later than we already would have been! my head is still hurting. Sorry i will try to be there next week, I just have to be careful with doors from now on! lol SOOOOO devotions!

Well I think its great that Joseph trusted God through his life and as we are told all the time the faithful are rewarded! Its so true that you can not sin and win! There is not one sin that will work and make your life better... None of them can lead to something good in your life! SO we should be able to tell that we need Josephs attitude and trust in God and obey! Not like his brothers that sold him into slavery and thought they could get away with no problems. well g2g bye for now!!!

Rachel☺; said...

pastor lee; the 'anonymous' is josh. he said that when he created it, lol.

and sorry im being such a slacker.
i cant even remember the dates anymore im getting so drained lately.
im sorry.

Hmm so this is the climax of the story pretty much, but as well all know, tomorows passage will be the best.

But for now lets talk about this one;
So how crazy would this situation be if you were Joseph???
Idk but id be pretty shocked.
The brothres that previously betrayed him out of jealousy are now telling him -unknowingly- that they are sorry and regret daily what they had done to him.
Have you ever had that sin thatfollows you around until yu take it to God and let it go? Well thats probably what these brothers had been feeling for a LONG TIME!
The momwnt of truth!....

What does Joseph do?
Well find out tomorrow,
but as for today, i see that you cant commit a sin and feel good about it. Sin always leaves you feeling down, so why get involved with it?
Its an inevitable thing but i know i can learn to control it better.

Anonymous said...

It has happened to me before when I did something wrong and regretted it, and I had to deal with the consequences even after a long time had passed. It’s not a good feeling. I would hate to have that feeling for years and years like Josephs brothers did. You can’t sin and win, very true!

-Kacey

weird high school kid said...

well i started yesterday at about like 5 but my dad pulled me away from my devos and i never got back to them. well here i go. so joey's dream is finally being realized. I can't believe that his brothers just forgot all about him you know. I mean thats family and family shouldn't forget family wether they are deceased or not. So what you can get out of it today is that don't do something you'll regret cause as you can see joey's bros are still regreting that they sold him at all, and stay faithfull and god WILL put you on top.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!