TUESDAY, September 23rd, 2008

Hey everyone! I am glad so many of you were on yesterday. There were several of our regular faithful attenders who did not get on though. WHAT IS THE DEAL? We go to disney and then you stop doing the devos? :) J/K! Just stay faithful!

Genesis 41

1 Then it came to pass, at the end of two full years, that Pharaoh had a dream; and behold, he stood by the river.
2 Suddenly there came up out of the river seven cows, fine looking and fat; and they fed in the meadow.
3 Then behold, seven other cows came up after them out of the river, ugly and gaunt, and stood by the other cows on the bank of the river.
4 And the ugly and gaunt cows ate up the seven fine looking and fat cows. So Pharaoh awoke.
5 He slept and dreamed a second time; and suddenly seven heads of grain came up on one stalk, plump and good.
6 Then behold, seven thin heads, blighted by the east wind, sprang up after them.
7 And the seven thin heads devoured the seven plump and full heads. So Pharaoh awoke, and indeed, it was a dream.
8 Now it came to pass in the morning that his spirit was troubled, and he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt and all its wise men. And Pharaoh told them his dreams, but there was no one who could interpret them for Pharaoh.
9 Then the chief butler spoke to Pharaoh, saying: “I remember my faults this day.
10 When Pharaoh was angry with his servants, and put me in custody in the house of the captain of the guard, both me and the chief baker,
11 we each had a dream in one night, he and I. Each of us dreamed according to the interpretation of his own dream.
12 Now there was a young Hebrew man with us there, a servant of the captain of the guard. And we told him, and he interpreted our dreams for us; to each man he interpreted according to his own dream.
13 And it came to pass, just as he interpreted for us, so it happened. He restored me to my office, and he hanged him.”
14 Then Pharaoh sent and called Joseph, and they brought him quickly out of the dungeon; and he shaved, changed his clothing, and came to Pharaoh.
15 And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it. But I have heard it said of you that you can understand a dream, to interpret it.”
16 So Joseph answered Pharaoh, saying, “It is not in me; God will give Pharaoh an answer of peace.”
17 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph: “Behold, in my dream I stood on the bank of the river.
18 Suddenly seven cows came up out of the river, fine looking and fat; and they fed in the meadow.
19 Then behold, seven other cows came up after them, poor and very ugly and gaunt, such ugliness as I have never seen in all the land of Egypt.
20 And the gaunt and ugly cows ate up the first seven, the fat cows.
21 When they had eaten them up, no one would have known that they had eaten them, for they were just as ugly as at the beginning. So I awoke.
22 Also I saw in my dream, and suddenly seven heads came up on one stalk, full and good.
23 Then behold, seven heads, withered, thin, and blighted by the east wind, sprang up after them.
24 And the thin heads devoured the seven good heads. So I told this to the magicians, but there was no one who could explain it to me.”
25 Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, “The dreams of Pharaoh are one; God has shown Pharaoh what He is about to do:
26 The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good heads are seven years; the dreams are one.
27 And the seven thin and ugly cows which came up after them are seven years, and the seven empty heads blighted by the east wind are seven years of famine.
28 This is the thing which I have spoken to Pharaoh. God has shown Pharaoh what He is about to do.
29 Indeed seven years of great plenty will come throughout all the land of Egypt;
30 but after them seven years of famine will arise, and all the plenty will be forgotten in the land of Egypt; and the famine will deplete the land.
31 So the plenty will not be known in the land because of the famine following, for it will be very severe.
32 And the dream was repeated to Pharaoh twice because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass.
33 “Now therefore, let Pharaoh select a discerning and wise man, and set him over the land of Egypt.
34 Let Pharaoh do this, and let him appoint officers over the land, to collect one-fifth of the produce of the land of Egypt in the seven plentiful years.
35 And let them gather all the food of those good years that are coming, and store up grain under the authority of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities.

This is such a neat story. I am sure almost all of you are familiar with it, so lets take some time and look for new ideas about it.

First of all I thought: Why did God wait two years, while Joseph was in prison before He gave Pharaoh a dream... I mean, if God would have given Pharaoh the dream right at the beginning, then the story could have stilled worked out fine...

Well, I know that God is in control and I know that God says that "all things work together for good". so if I know both of those tihngs then I must also acknowledge that evewn though Joseph was sitting in prison, God had a plan.

Sometimes we seem to be going through a difficult time, but we too must remember that God has a plan.

Next I saw how Joseph gave all the credit to God for his accomplishments. That is true, God was the one to give Joseph the ability to interpret dreams, but if Joseph were more like many of us He would have started thinking that he can interpret dreams because he is talented, skillfull and special. NOPE! God is the one in charge who gave Joseph the ability to do those things.

God is also the one that gives you the ability to do well in school, to sing, to play an instrument, even the giver of coordination so that you can beat me in video games. All of these things are not because of how great we are... but they are because of how great HE IS!!!!

Thank you God for giving us many blessings, and many abilities! Help us to use those abilities for YOUR GLORY!!! NOT OURS!!

9 comments:

Godservant said...

Yeah Rachel... I knew that... :)
Anybody who is reading this right now should go to your school's flagpole and pray with everyone there tomorrow morning.

Sometimes when I do something amazing or cool or whatever I think it's me. Only now do I realize that it was really God just giving me that ability or power. I think I thought that 'cause because of our self-centered nature tends to give us the thought that it was us that did the amazing talent. To me, it seemed like Joseph didn't have the self-centered instinct in him. He was special, because God gave it to him... or rather took away from Joseph.

Anonymous said...

Two years in prison is certainly a long time. Compared to what some of the men and women dealt with our problems seem almost menial. The most faithful men and women went through the hardest times but that is why they are the most faithful. They did not lose sight of God's will, despite what was raging all around them. I know I lose sight of God's will easily when I do not understand why I am going through what I am. One thing I have to learn how to do is trust in the Lord, it takes a lot of faith. I know that God's will is the right way for me. He will always be there for me and never give me more than I can handle.

So here is a really great story. Last night I was in a very bad mood, I had tons of homework tons and meetings and four classes back to back. I was tired and behind and I just felt like I couldn't take it anymore. I had band practice and it was raining, which normally means we are marching in the rain, BUT it was canceled for the day. God knew that I needed a break and that I was just about at my breaking point and suddenly I had two free hours that were filled with tons of homework. That reminds me that I need to praise God, he is ever faithful as we should be. :]

- Rachel.

Amy :) said...

WOW if I were Joseph I would be so mad and hateful towards God for putting me in this situation, But God has a plan for everything and everyone. Even if we don't like it. Its for His will and His only!! God's plans sometimes come out in weird and strange ways in our eyes. But in God's eyes He sees it in perfect harmony into everything else!

Anonymous said...

pastor lee on wednsday i am bringing a visitor.and i cant believe it is 9:08 and only 3 people have posted!such a drastic drop from yesterday.

well this is a clasic story in the bibe.we see joseph has been sitting in jail for 2 years by that time i would be confused toward god for not taking me out of this situation after 2 years but joseph stayed faithful and never lost hope that god would deliver him.

i think that it takes a lot of spirtual strength to do these things so i think that is somthing i should work on in order to grow spiritually.

see you all tomorow!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok sory i havent been on in a while its just we were gone friday and saturday we aere at Disney and sunday we were in Tampa and yesterday i forgot because of homework and stuff but im on now for good blee blee blee blee blee.
Ok so i have said it before and i will say it again GOD HAS A PLAN in the times when we dont think hes there he is and i think those are the times when God has the BIGGEST PLAN FOR YOOUR LIFE and we need to remeber he is always there.
GO SEE FIREPROOF the movie you think its some dumb church film its gonna be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anonymous said...

Ok sory i havent been on in a while its just we were gone friday and saturday we aere at Disney and sunday we were in Tampa and yesterday i forgot because of homework and stuff but im on now for good blee blee blee blee blee.
Ok so i have said it before and i will say it again GOD HAS A PLAN in the times when we dont think hes there he is and i think those are the times when God has the BIGGEST PLAN FOR YOOUR LIFE and we need to remeber he is always there.
GO SEE FIREPROOF the movie you think its some dumb church film its gonna be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HADOKEN!!! said...

Joseph is the least pridefull person that i've ever heard of. He has this ulta super uber mega kool ability to interpret dreams. If I had that power I'd be like yeah I'm awsome but Joseph was like I give all the thanks and glory to God. Wow.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Hey everyone if you want to know what kind of great fun we had on our trip to disney then you should go check out the everyday life of Lee Tomlin on the front page of do your devotions.com I explained my great time and pastor Lee explained his its some good stuff and if you dont laugh or think it will be fun then do your devos and you will be rewarded and find out what great things we did on your own! anyways...

This passage really makes me think about how God has given me some great gifts and I dont always realize that when I use them. God has given me sports that I love and enjoy and the ability to play them! Josephs gift was to interpret the dreams of people. I think that is pretty cool! My favorite part of this passage was when Joseph told pharoah that it was not him doing this great talent it was God giving him the ability to do this for good! Also we can see what a great attitude joseph is having towards God! HE is the only one with a plan for our life and Joseph kept his trust and faith in God the whole time and that is exactly what we need to do! Follow the plan God has for your life even if it doesnt work out like you want it to! Bye!

Rachel☺; said...

michael; im not going to be at the pole tomorrow morning like i said that i might today. my stepdad wont bring me. he wants SLEEP. haha

So finallyyyyyy Joseph sees something other than prison!
I almost forgot how the butler actually did remember him, but a little late.

What i think is pretty cool is how no other magicians or soothsayers, whatever theyre calleed, could interpret Pharaohs dreams; only Joseph, and only with God.
It reminds me that there are some things people cant solve on their own and i cant do myself but that God is always there to have His will fulfilled and if something is to be done; by His will it will be!
Only God knew what Pharaohs dream meant and only through Joseph was it to be read.
Thats pretty cool to know that God has special and specific things fit for every one of us if we are just open to Him and open to realize His plans.
(:

see you guysd tomorrow at church (:

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!