SATURDAY, November 1st, 2008

Trunk or treat was amazing last night! You should have been there if you weren't. Josh, I hope you don't get a cold from being in the dunk tank! -Michael

Proverbs 1

1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings. 7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
9 For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.
10 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.
11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause:
12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:
13 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil:
14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse:
15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path:
16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.
17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.
18 And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives.
19 So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.
20 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets:
21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying,
22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
24 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD:
30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

9 comments:

Godservant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Godservant said...

This passage is jam-packed with infomation. Verse 7 says, "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction." It's saying that if you fear God for who He is, you are beginning to be wise; and whoever doesn't want wisdom or to be instructed, is a fool. Whoa, I've been on that road before. Sometimes if i'm mad at something, I usually don't want to be corrected on it. I'll work on that and pray about it.
Verse 33 caught my attention too. It says, "But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil." Whoever wants saftey, turning to God is the way to go. Not only that, but fearing evil will be less and less as you spitually grow. To tell you the truth, I have seen this happen in my life as well. See everyone in God's house tomorrow!

Pastor Lee said...

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Knowledge but FOOLS DESPISE WISDOM AND INSTRUCTION!!!

Can you believe that!!

I sure can! I see people like this all the time. You want to help them and they will NOT LISTEN TO YOUR ADVICE... The Bible says that kind of person is a fool!

I do NOT WANT TO BE A FOOL! When someone wants to give me advice I want my attitude to be one that is willing to listen and learn how I can be a better servant of God.

That is not easy, easpecially when Pride is involved, but as long as I try to be humble that it should not be difficult to listen to advice and try to fix what needs to be changed.

That is some powerful stuff!!!

Robert J Bellis-Nottingham said...

wow..

That is really a strong message.

I can relate to it. How true the word of God is if you really try to understand it.. How true.. :)

It's a hard thing, to take in wisdom, and to not take from others when they do so from you, it's a very hard thing.

But it's so true what you get out of patience, virtue, and honesty.

Prayer has saved everything I know and love once, and it has made my life immensely easier now.

Fools do despise wisdom and instruction. Fools also do not share it with others and show compassion.

Being humble is your shield in times of sacrifice and other times.

Being slow to anger, is even more your sword to fight with, than being quick to anger. Passion is justice, and wisdom is love.

I love this passage.
I couldn't put my finger on a better passage myself if I needed to read anything.

Tylermon33 said...

this is mostly saying that we should fear the Lord. i think fearing the Lord isn't being scared of Him but acknowledging His power and wisdom. the verse i like the most is verse 7-the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction-it is saying that if fear God (acknowledge His power and wisdom) then that is the beginning of knowledge meaning we will understand and follow God better. also when fools despise wisdom and instruction they don't understand God and don't believe in God, so they wont understand why He does what He does.

well see you all tomorrow at church.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Ok I liked this entire passage! it has some great things in here that I think we can all learn from! I think fearing the Lord is the main one though. I always love getting on here I learn how to become a better follower of Jesus everytime I get on! I like verse 7 alot because it cant be explained more clearly than it is. Being honest, I dont like people correcting me and right now that is a big problem in my life because I wont learn if I dont listen. I want to fear God more so I can be a better Christian and listen to what people like my parents and youth Pastor have to say. I need to be corrected more and I am but sometimes i dont give my parents a chance which I KNOW i need to work on! Well im glad I got on here, I always learn more and more every day!!! bye and see yall in church tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

In verse 7 is says "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction". To me that means that fearing the Lord shows our love towards Him, because if we weren't afraid of God then we wouldn't even realize that He existed. There would be no fear of sin because we have no fear or respect of Him. When we don't fear God I feel that we are being ignorant. Ignorance doesn't lead to wisdom or knowledge so fearing God allows us to gain knowledge. Also in the verse it says that fools despise wisdom and instruction. Despising wisdom and instruction meaning rejecting both God and His teachings. Which is exactly what a fool would do.

Robert J Bellis-Nottingham said...

nicely said kervin!

Rachel☺; said...

Yeak what Kervin sais what i was going to attempt to say, but i know his will have turned out better... :P so with that in mind, ill just talk about being foolish.
i dont know about anyone else here, but ive definitely been pretty foolish before, and im sure recently has been one of those times.
When i a reluctant to learn from a mistake, which i am veryyy bad at doing; lol, i am being a FOOL!
When i disregard correction, i am being foolish, when i choose to ignore advice intended to better me, i am being REALLy foolish, and i know ive done all of those before :/
When you really think about it, your pride isnt worth the title of a fool, and you are so much more respected by others, that being humble really pays off!
Ill work of that (:

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!