WEDNESDAY, October 1st, 2008

TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF OCTOBER! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS YEAR IS GOING BY SO FAST?!?!?! Wow! I am so excted about life! Aren't you? I just want to tell all of you! Yesterday was a very encouraging day so thank you for doing your part to make it that way. There were several teenagers that went on yesterday and did their devotions, and I am thankful for all of you! Keep it up! Be in church tonight we are going to have a great time in Youth Group!

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Rachel: I am so proud of you! It is so wise to look at this opportunity in your life as a chance to start over and make new friendships! God will reward that!
Michael: OF COURSE I AM GOING TO COPY THAT AND PASTE IT! Silly guy! You think I am going to type all that jibberish in? Great video! I have seen it before! I like it a lot!
Amy: I am excited about Tomorrow!!!!
Jessica B: I will be here and ready and available to talk! Thanks for all you did yesterday!
MARVIN AND KERVIN: WOW!!! IT IS SO GOOD TO SEE YOU ON EHERE AGAIN! We missed you guys! See you tonight!
Rachel Mace: I love your "whole tree fell into the pond" illustration! :)
Tyler: I sure wish that you were going to Jax. with us!
Mallory:" we have missed you too! Let me know if I can do anything to help!


Genesis 48

1 Now it came to pass after these things that Joseph was told, “Indeed your father is sick”; and he took with him his two sons, Manasseh and Ephraim.
2 And Jacob was told, “Look, your son Joseph is coming to you”; and Israel strengthened himself and sat up on the bed.
3 Then Jacob said to Joseph: “God Almighty appeared to me at Luz in the land of Canaan and blessed me,
4 and said to me, ‘Behold, I will make you fruitful and multiply you, and I will make of you a multitude of people, and give this land to your descendants after you as an everlasting possession.’
5 And now your two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, who were born to you in the land of Egypt before I came to you in Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine.
6 Your offspring whom you beget after them shall be yours; they will be called by the name of their brothers in their inheritance.
7 But as for me, when I came from Padan, Rachel died beside me in the land of Canaan on the way, when there was but a little distance to go to Ephrath; and I buried her there on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem).”
8 Then Israel saw Joseph’s sons, and said, “Who are these?”
9 Joseph said to his father, “They are my sons, whom God has given me in this place.” And he said, “Please bring them to me, and I will bless them.”
10 Now the eyes of Israel were dim with age, so that he could not see. Then Joseph brought them near him, and he kissed them and embraced them.
11 And Israel said to Joseph, “I had not thought to see your face; but in fact, God has also shown me your offspring!”
12 So Joseph brought them from beside his knees, and he bowed down with his face to the earth.
13 And Joseph took them both, Ephraim with his right hand toward Israel’s left hand, and Manasseh with his left hand toward Israel’s right hand, and brought them near him.
14 Then Israel stretched out his right hand and laid it on Ephraim’s head, who was the younger, and his left hand on Manasseh’s head, guiding his hands knowingly, for Manasseh was the firstborn.
15 And he blessed Joseph, and said: “God, before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked, The God who has fed me all my life long to this day,
16 The Angel who has redeemed me from all evil, Bless the lads; Let my name be named upon them, And the name of my fathers Abraham and Isaac; And let them grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth.”
17 Now when Joseph saw that his father laid his right hand on the head of Ephraim, it displeased him; so he took hold of his father’s hand to remove it from Ephraim’s head to Manasseh’s head.
18 And Joseph said to his father, “Not so, my father, for this one is the firstborn; put your right hand on his head.”
19 But his father refused and said, “I know, my son, I know. He also shall become a people, and he also shall be great; but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he, and his descendants shall become a multitude of nations.”
20 So he blessed them that day, saying, “By you Israel will bless, saying, ‘May God make you as Ephraim and as Manasseh!’” And thus he set Ephraim before Manasseh.
21 Then Israel said to Joseph, “Behold, I am dying, but God will be with you and bring you back to the land of your fathers.
22 Moreover I have given to you one portion above your brothers, which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow.”

This is a deep passage that gives us a lot of information about the end of Isaacs life and also about the two sons of Joseph. I think the greatest lesson in this passage is the respect that Joseph had for his father.

Joseph, the prince of Egypt, the second man in charge of the richest nation in the world at this time was bowing down to his aged father.

What an incredible example of respect. The Bible tells us to honor our father and mother... yet so many times we are completely disrespectful to them and that means that we are completely disobedient to God.

Teenagers, Honor your father and mother. Joseph had not had any communication with his father since he was a boy. His father was no part of his life during all of the tough times, and during all of the wonderful times until now... yet Joseph still respected him!

Joseph literally bowed down to his father. (generally people were always bowing down to Joseph, but he humbled himself and showed the respect that his father deserved)

Do you respect your parents? God commands it! God rewards it! I guarantee you this: When I was a teenager, there were times when I could not stand my parents... there were times that I thought they had no common sense, there were times I thought they were unfair, But God commanded me to obey them and to honor them!

I appreciate my parents today more than I ever thought I would because I understand that even though they were hard to get along with sometimes... God gave them to me because God knew who the BEST PARENTS in the world would be for me! God also chose your parents and your authority, because they are the best for you! Trust God and obey and honor your parents!

13 comments:

Rachel Evelyn said...

This is certainly a tough one, especially at my age. Joseph is an outstanding man in many ways. I know that I struggle with obeying my parents. My Father wasn't a part of my life and so I thought I didn't need to obey him, however Joseph's Father was no more a part of his and he bowed his head down to him. This is truly a miracle of God. I must also learn to give my whole heart to my parents and realize that God gave me my parents for a reason and a purpose. I never realized how much of the bible could be applied to my everyday life. Joseph's life wasn't without struggle but he had God behind him and that was all he needed in everything he did.

-Rachel.
:[ My tooth hurts, so I am sending out a small prayer request; if anyone has time, please pray that my mouth situation will get worked out. I just had a tooth pulled and I haven't been able to relax and try to let it heal!!

Godservant said...

Sometimes when your really mad with them, it seems like your parents are out to get you. That is the opposite of what they are doing. Your parents care for you and just want the best for your life. This is something everyone should work on, epecially me.
See everyone tonight!

Anonymous said...

I think that even if Josephs father were the meanest, cruelest man in the world Joesph would still bow down to him because the word of God commands you to respect your father and mother. I think I should respect my mother & father more because they've done more then I can ever imagine to give me a good life, but I believe that I'll never truly understand the sacrifices they gone through for me until I do the same for my children.

Anonymous said...

A blind man once stepped on Chuck Norris' shoe.Chuck replied, "Don't you know who I am? I'm Chuck Norris!" The mere mention of his name cured this man blindness. Sadly the first, last, and only thing this man ever saw, was a fatal roundhouse kick delivered by Chuck Norris.

Anonymous said...

Joesph was an amazing man who is a very good role model who I am going to try to be like. Is Joesph the oldest son because in that time weren't the oldest son the kid who got everything? So they are talking bout his too wow.

Anonymous said...

Who is saying that Joesphs sons are his that is pretty rude I think. Wow I never knew that Joesph's mom died along the journey thats kinda sad. That would be kind of funny if your grampa said that your little brother would be greater than you. Isaac is dieing right in front of Joesph I know I probably would like tear out of the room like a guy with a knife was in there. Wow that just shows how strong of a man Joesph is. I wish I could show that much respect to my father but I know I am struggling that but now I know i could do it. This is such a deep passage and it thought me a lot about trust and repect. Marvin

Anonymous said...

Nice joke but do your devotions anonymus

HADOKEN!!! said...

Joseph is so respectfull to his parents. I usualy am pretty good about this but there are times that I am very disrespectfull. When we do what the Bible commands and honor our father and mother we can expect so many good rewards like less irretable parents or a better feeling about yourself. I think as teens especially we need to persistantly keep vigilant about this matter because it is very easy to be angered by them.

Jonathan M. said...

I have to say this was the PERFECT devos for me today you dont even know!!!!!Respect Your PARENTS!!!!!you gonna regret if you dont and what i never really understood that the only reson they do this is that they love you and and even if they dont you still need to respect them because they are the authority and that goes the same for teachers just obey them your gonna get in trouble if you dont and you know you care if you get in trouble so just dont do it!!!!1
Sry i wasnt there tonight i missed you all terribly really i miss you guys so much thank you for being such a supporting youth group and THANK YOU Pastor Lee for being the best thing in my life right now!!!
WINGS IS COMING TO SUNCOAST!!!!!!!!

Rachel☺; said...

Rachel; well i sure hope wed have time to pray! (:
im praying for your mouth

I think its pretty awesome how despite how much (and it was a lot) respect Joseph was given by the people, he never forgot the respect for others, specifically his father.
Its awfully easy to take praise or recognition youre given and turn it into a big pride-fest, but here we see that even Joseph, who was ultimately respected after the situations he had been through, did not quickly forget HIS output of respect like we often do.
I know that a lot of times, i personally, dont always remember to put the respect of others before my own pride because its hard to set aside my sinful nature, but this passage is renewing to my mind that i can always better practice it, even tomorrow! (:

Amy :) said...

So am I!!!! EEEEE Im so glad that Bethany and Sarah Barnard are coming!!!


Obeying you father and mother are very important things in the Bible that you should do, Its one of the commandments!! I think its # 5. But this is crutial, this is kinda hard for me to do especially whenever you parents tell you to do stuff over and over the same exact things it gets soooooooo annoying, but God commands us to obey our parents even if they tell us to dance like a chicken from the 70's we should do it. -that would be so funny. They are our authority and we should respect them and obey them. Cause its commandment number 5.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Well Pastor Lee you do not know how much you help me understand these passages so much better when you explain what it means after! I think it is cool how the PRINCE bows down to his dad which he didnt often talk to most of his life! Honor your mother and father not just because we need to but because it is what God tells us to do! This is something I know I really need to work on and I get upset over little things when all that my parents are trying to do is help me! We also dont realize most of the time that when we are obeying our parents we are obeying the Lord because its what God has asked us to do and we should just do it! (nike, jk lol) So lesson today obey your parents in the LORD!!! bye for now!

Rachel☺; said...

haha, the on time i can come on in the morning and theyre not up yet ):

well i hope evryone hasa good day at school, even thoughh they wont read this.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!