FRIDAY, October 3rd, 2008

Hey Everyone! What happened yesterday?? Wow! We went from like 17 to 5? Ouch! I know how you feel Mallory, I too could cry! LETS BE FAITHFUL PEOPLE!

WE ARE HAVING A GREAT TIME IN JAX. Today we are going to classes, then haveing a babrecue and then going to a Calling Levi Concert tonight!!! Cool Huh!!
We Miss You Guys!!

Genesis 50 [The Last Chapter in the book of Genesis]

1 Then Joseph fell on his father’s face and wept over him, and kissed him.
2 And Joseph commanded his servants the physicians to embalm his father. So the physicians embalmed Israel.
3 Forty days were required for him, for such are the days required for those who are embalmed; and the Egyptians mourned for him seventy days.
4 Now when the days of his mourning were past, Joseph spoke to the household of Pharaoh, saying, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, please speak in the hearing of Pharaoh, saying,
5 ‘My father made me swear, saying, “Behold, I am dying; in my grave which I dug for myself in the land of Canaan, there you shall bury me.” Now therefore, please let me go up and bury my father, and I will come back.’”
6 And Pharaoh said, “Go up and bury your father, as he made you swear.”
7 So Joseph went up to bury his father; and with him went up all the servants of Pharaoh, the elders of his house, and all the elders of the land of Egypt,
8 as well as all the house of Joseph, his brothers, and his father’s house. Only their little ones, their flocks, and their herds they left in the land of Goshen.
9 And there went up with him both chariots and horsemen, and it was a very great gathering.
10 Then they came to the threshing floor of Atad, which is beyond the Jordan, and they mourned there with a great and very solemn lamentation. He observed seven days of mourning for his father.
11 And when the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites, saw the mourning at the threshing floor of Atad, they said, “This is a deep mourning of the Egyptians.” Therefore its name was called Abel Mizraim, which is beyond the Jordan.
12 So his sons did for him just as he had commanded them.
13 For his sons carried him to the land of Canaan, and buried him in the cave of the field of Machpelah, before Mamre, which Abraham bought with the field from Ephron the Hittite as property for a burial place.
14 And after he had buried his father, Joseph returned to Egypt, he and his brothers and all who went up with him to bury his father.

Joseph Reassures His Brothers
15 When Joseph’s brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, “Perhaps Joseph will hate us, and may actually repay us for all the evil which we did to him.”
16 So they sent messengers to Joseph, saying, “Before your father died he commanded, saying,
17 ‘Thus you shall say to Joseph: “I beg you, please forgive the trespass of your brothers and their sin; for they did evil to you.”’ Now, please, forgive the trespass of the servants of the God of your father.” And Joseph wept when they spoke to him.
18 Then his brothers also went and fell down before his face, and they said, “Behold, we are your servants.”
19 Joseph said to them, “Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God?
20 But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.
21 Now therefore, do not be afraid; I will provide for you and your little ones.” And he comforted them and spoke kindly to them.

Death of Joseph
22 So Joseph dwelt in Egypt, he and his father’s household. And Joseph lived one hundred and ten years.
23 Joseph saw Ephraim’s children to the third generation. The children of Machir, the son of Manasseh, were also brought up on Joseph’s knees.
24 And Joseph said to his brethren, “I am dying; but God will surely visit you, and bring you out of this land to the land of which He swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.”
25 Then Joseph took an oath from the children of Israel, saying, “God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here.”
26 So Joseph died, being one hundred and ten years old; and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt.

The final chapter of Genesis. The conclusion of the story of Joseph. I think the key verse to the entire story of Joseph is in verse 20...

After Josephs father had died, there go those brothers again: showing their torment and worry because of their sin more than 25 years earlier. The consequences of sin are more than you want to pay! These men, were so scared that Joseph would "pay them back" that they told Joseph that their father said "do not punish them after I am gone"... well we don't know if He really said that or not.

The truth is: Joseph was "in the place of God" He was obeying God living daily in Gods will and therefore He would not take the punishment of his brothers into his own hands... instead he said in 20: what you meant for evil, GOD MEANT IT FOR GOOD!!!!!

WOW! What a great attitude, there are many of you that have had tough circumstances in your life especially in the last several years: Well, think about this: Is your attitude like Josephs? Can you understand and believe that GOD IS IN CONTROL, and even though some people were trying to hurt you... YOU KNOW THAT GOD MEANT THAT SITUATION FOR GOOD...

That is hard to understand! Especially depending on how hard you were hurt... but remember God was in control from the beginning, and although he may not have planned out the hurtful things, as he did not plan out for Josephs brothers to betray him...

Gut God is able to work in and through the tough times in your life! Trust Him!

10 comments:

Rachel☺; said...

HAPPY FRIDAY; & thank goodness it is!
(:
Today is the first day in weeks that i havent completely zonked out first-thing when i got home from school.
haha,

So verses 19 & 20 really show how well Joseph understood Gods will.
Have you ever said ina tough situation that although it may hurt, or ruin something, or feel like the worst is on your shoulders, that it was really a good work ogf God that just wasnt finished yet?
WOW, I wish that was always in the front of peoples minds, because its a reminder of hope in the rough times and i know its my biggest comfort in situations like that. People wouldnt need to hurt themselves, or want to hurt people around them if they just knew what God had in store for them if they let Him work His ways.
I know ive been talking about that over and over, but its what is most vibrant to me in Josephs story.


HAHA i hadnt even finished reading the passage; i was only up to verse 20, and it seems thats the most important thing ive got to say (:

I need to better remember that comfort God offers tied along with our not-so-happy situations, and recently im learnng that sharing that comfort with other people when they are hurt can open doors, so im hoping i can continue to do that (:

HADOKEN!!! said...

So in this passage it shows us how scared Joseph's brothers were of him taking his revenge. They told Joseph that their father told them not to harm them. Joseph says that whatever they meant for evil God turned and used for good. I think that thats realy cool. Sometimes we don't all think so possitvely. But we need to realize that everything is in God's hands.

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

this is obviously the last passage of genesis. and a sad one.

in this passage jacob dies.

and joseph and his brothers take him somewhere to bury him.

then joseph returns to egypt.

and this is cool because his brothers come before him and ask for forgiveness to.

and its sad because josephs death is in this passage. and its cool because he lived to be 110!!

PEACE

Rachel Evelyn said...

All I can say is that I was SO busy on Thursday. I was going until midnight when I finally crashed fully clothed into my bed to get ready for waking up on Friday at 7:30. I missed God so much in my life yesterday. It isn't nearly as helpful to make them up. I will try extremely hard not to miss them again. I need God, DAILY.

Life can be so hard at times, which makes people question, if there is a God, where is he? I know that I have often cried out to God in times of desperation, wondering why he wasn't there to comfort me. What I didn't realize was that God was by my side the entire time, ready to help me up if I fell and leading me down his path. When I think back on all the rough times I remember all the good times that it brought me to. For example, high school was one of the hardest times of my life and I recall thinking that there was no purpose and that God was just being cruel. I realize now that it brought me to college and to greater things in my life.

I pray that I can just let God take me where he knows is best and praise him in my times of discomfort. I love the song Jesus bring the Rain by MercyMe. If you ever get the chance listen to it because it is so uplifting.

-Rachel
Wow I feel so much better today. I really hate days with out a LOT of God in them. It makes me a grumpy person. :] I am coming home again so I will see you all Sunday!!!

Godservant said...

Rachel; you put your devotions on early and I put it on late. Today must be opposite day or somethin'

There goes Joseph once again, puting God before anything and telling his brothers he forgives them. Remember Joseph's dream he had years ago that God gave him? that his brothers would bow down to him. That "dream prophesy" was fulfiled in this chapter and it is hard to miss because Joseph's brothers said flat out to Joseph, "we are your servants." Joseph is the perfect example of how we should be to anyone in our lives.

Anonymous said...

I think that Joesph's father had been the others protective shield or something. When he died they must have been uber afraid. To me sin never finishes ruining you because if you think about most sins result either to or from another sin and its an ongoing circle until you end it.

Anonymous said...

Wow I thought Jacob dies in chapter 49 but it is nice that he can hang on a coupla more days. Wow the Canaanites really know how to mourn because 70 days that is astonising. The brothers were now worried that Joesph was going to turn on them but he never did. He is such a good example when he is with his brothers.

HADOKEN!!! said...

Everybody wish us luck our first competition is saturday.

WOOT goin for a 77!

Tylermon33 said...

well we can all learn from this. first of all we see that joseph listened to his father by burying him in canan (i think that was the city he was buried in) the city he asked joseph to be buried in after he died because that was the land of his fathers. so joseph obeyed his father. we should obey our parents and the people over us just like joseph did even though it may be hard because the older people can sometimes be jerks, but we need to listen to them anyways as long as it doesn't infear with disobeying God. also we need to have good attitudes like joseph did even though that may be hard also, but im pretty sure if joseph had a good attituted toward his brothers that tried to kill him and sold him into slavery then we can have a good attitude toward someone else that probably only said something bad that hurt us or did something minor that hurt us. so joseph obeyed and had a good attitude toward everything. only if we could all be like that. lets try to be more like joseph every day.


PS. i hope you guys are having a great time at college days and i wish i could be there with you guys. also pastor lee since you guys are at college days until the sunday evening service then i guess you can't pick me up for the morning service, so i guess i will just see you on wednesday.

Anonymous said...

thank you for want you are doing for my son

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!