THURSDAY, October 23rd, 2008

Hey Everyone! I enjoyed last night very much! I hope that you will look for me on TV tonight! :)

The game is on FOX at 8:30 PM

Ok, on to more important things... YOUR DEVOTIONS!!!!!!!!

Proverbs 23

1 When you sit down to eat with a ruler, Consider carefully what is before you;
2 And put a knife to your throat If you are a man given to appetite.
3 Do not desire his delicacies, For they are deceptive food.
4 Do not overwork to be rich; Because of your own understanding, cease!
5 Will you set your eyes on that which is not? For riches certainly make themselves wings; They fly away like an eagle toward heaven.
6 Do not eat the bread of a miser, Nor desire his delicacies;
7 For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. “ Eat and drink!” he says to you, But his heart is not with you.
8 The morsel you have eaten, you will vomit up, And waste your pleasant words.
9 Do not speak in the hearing of a fool, For he will despise the wisdom of your words.
10 Do not remove the ancient landmark, Nor enter the fields of the fatherless;
11 For their Redeemer is mighty; He will plead their cause against you.
12 Apply your heart to instruction, And your ears to words of knowledge.
13 Do not withhold correction from a child, For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.
14 You shall beat him with a rod, And deliver his soul from hell.
15 My son, if your heart is wise, My heart will rejoice—indeed, I myself;
16 Yes, my inmost being will rejoice When your lips speak right things.
17 Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the LORD all the day;
18 For surely there is a hereafter, And your hope will not be cut off.
19 Hear, my son, and be wise; And guide your heart in the way.
20 Do not mix with winebibbers, Or with gluttonous eaters of meat;
21 For the drunkard and the glutton will come to poverty, And drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.
22 Listen to your father who begot you, And do not despise your mother when she is old.
23 Buy the truth, and do not sell it, Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
24 The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice, And he who begets a wise child will delight in him.
25 Let your father and your mother be glad, And let her who bore you rejoice.
26 My son, give me your heart, And let your eyes observe my ways.
27 For a harlot is a deep pit, And a seductress is a narrow well.
28 She also lies in wait as for a victim, And increases the unfaithful among men.
29 Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaints? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes?
30 Those who linger long at the wine, Those who go in search of mixed wine.
31 Do not look on the wine when it is red, When it sparkles in the cup, When it swirls around smoothly;
32 At the last it bites like a serpent, And stings like a viper.
33 Your eyes will see strange things, And your heart will utter perverse things.
34 Yes, you will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea, Or like one who lies at the top of the mast, saying: "They have struck me, but I was not hurt; They have beaten me, but I did not feel it. When shall I awake, that I may seek another drink?"

Three major lessons jump out to me in this passage:

First, I noticed how much of an emphasis Solomon (the writer) puts on how we should act during certain situations... For example... if we are in the company of people who want to hurt or destroy us we need to be so careful!

This reminds me of my life everyday... Your too... we are in a situation where the world is watching every move trying to justify their actions. The world watches us so that they can say negative things about Christians, so me must be SO CAREFUL not to make a bad decision that will cause people to look down on Christ.

SECOND, there are several references to children making their parents happy... Where do you stand in that ball park? Are your parents full of joy when they consider you as their child? Does it hurt their heart to see some of the decisions that you are making? We need to live in a way that makes our parents HAPPY AND THANKFUL FOR US!!!!

Finally, Solomon could have been a great member of the MADD coalition (that stands for mothers against drunk driving). Solomon was just flaad out against people being drunk, because He knows the destruction that it brings into your life. In fact the whole bible teaches us that we are NOT TO BE DRUNK WITH WINE (or alcoholic drinks) but instead we are supposed to be FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT!!!!

Maybe you have seen a slogan that says: FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE DRUNK... I THINK EVEN BETTER IT SHOULD SAY: FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRINK!!!!!!

DONT DRINK!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Three major lessons jump out to me in this passage:

First, I noticed how much of an emphasis Solomon (the writer) puts on how we should act during certain situations... For example... if we are in the company of people who want to hurt or destroy us we need to be so careful!

This reminds me of my life everyday... Your too... we are in a situation where the world is watching every move trying to justify their actions. The world watches us so that they can say negative things about Christians, so me must be SO CAREFUL not to make a bad decision that will cause people to look down on Christ.

SECOND, there are several references to children making their parents happy... Where do you stand in that ball park? Are your parents full of joy when they consider you as their child? Does it hurt their heart to see some of the decisions that you are making? We need to live in a way that makes our parents HAPPY AND THANKFUL FOR US!!!!

Finally, Solomon could have been a great member of the MADD coalition (that stands for mothers against drunk driving). Solomon was just flaad out against people being drunk, because He knows the destruction that it brings into your life. In fact the whole bible teaches us that we are NOT TO BE DRUNK WITH WINE (or alcoholic drinks) but instead we are supposed to be FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT!!!!

Maybe you have seen a slogan that says: FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE DRUNK... I THINK EVEN BETTER IT SHOULD SAY: FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRINK!!!!!!

DONT DRINK!

Godservant said...

24 "The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice, And he who begets a wise child will delight in him.
25 "Let your father and your mother be glad, And let her who bore you rejoice."

It seems as Solomon wants us to see the importance of being good to our parents like it says in verses 24 and 25 says. When was the last time you had your parents greatly rejoice over you in their life? Obviously all of our parents love us, but when were they pleased on our ability to serve them? I admit I have problems about this as well. I want to do MY things before my parents' tasks or chores, and now I will seek the Lord's help on this one and you should as well. Lord, help us on listening to our parents instead of our heads.

Pastor Lee, Have fun at the game! Using my powerful brain logic that God gave me, I am assumig the game is in Tampa. Right?

Godservant said...

Pastor Lee, is it okay if I call people and tell them to do their devotions? Yeah... that was kinda a stupid queston, of course I can! You and God would be pleased! Right?

Rachel☺; said...

That last part about what you said is really true Pastor Lee! when i really think about why it says that, its because the world is so far into sin, that the people posting those slogans, and even the people reading them, know that people WILL drink and sooo many do.

Thats just like sex education in schools; they dont promote abstinence because everyday you see pregnant highschoolers and younger and younger women with strollers and they know that its sometimes too late for that.

Its really sad how the promotion of what is considered "safety" in so many issues is SO far from the basic commandments of just not partaking in the sin in the first place!

Forrr example,,
Today in civics we starting puting together a mock presidential election and we had to take a survey to determine where we stand.
I found myself, when it came to the sex ed. question, not choosing that they should promote abstinence (my preference) or promote 'safe sex' alone because i thought of how ineffective abstinenec is to some who are taught of it and how many people dont even care about virginity or their best state of mind when theyre sober.

OK IM DONE RANTING!! :P
(even though i guess thats sorta part of what i had to say about the passage)
I choose not to take part in those things and plan on keeping it that way! ^^^^

DeVoTiiOnsSs;;;
Since the only other thing that stood out to me here i havent said above, ill just talk about the child/parent part.

So everyone knows that we are commanded to obey our parents in the bible and that kind of relates to this passage, where we should be able to know if we are pleasing them or obeying them.
If youre obeying your parents, youre most likely pleasing them, and if you are pleasing them; it BECAUSE you are obeying them, right?!
Its instruction from the bible, And by obeying & pleasing your parents, you are pleasing/obeying God.

And because for some people, pleasing parents isnt easy...

I have a friend that is a really great person and a Christian and they try so hard to please their parents by being obedient, but their parents are just never happy with them.
I tell them all the time to just stay obedient and keep pleasing God because pleasing everyone isnt an option, but pleasing God is the most important one.
Of course im farrrrrr from perfect in that area, so when i tell them i let them know im definitely working on it too!

Rachel☺; said...

oh my coww.
that took me an hour :P
im sorry fopr just blabbering on and on.

...but heyyyyy

I WROTE ANOTHER PAMPHLET☺

Rachel☺; said...

lol michael...

on the phone:
" sooo... im just really bored so im calling people to do their devotions "

youre cool. (:
and im glad you called because i fell asleep and needed to wake up :P

Tylermon33 said...

first we see that if we want to hang around people we should hang around people that like us as friends and not people that want to hurt us, but if we hang around people that don't like us we need to watch our backs because they could try something without us noticing and hurt us (emotionally, physically, or publicly). also we see that we should glorify our parents. we should do things that help or glorify our parents so that they can be proud of us and trust us when they need us. we shouldn't do things that dishonor our parents or make them mad because we are their flesh and blood so if we dishonor them then we are dishonoring ourselves, and if we dishonor or disobey our parents then we are dishonoring and disobeying God and that is a sin. finally we shouldn't let friends drink and drive let alone drink period. drinking alcohol isn't a sin but getting drunk is, and if you get drunk then you can't control your self pretty much and the things you do when your drunk may end up costing you a lot. so don't let friends drink.

Tylermon33 said...

oh ya, have a good time at the Rays game and go Phillies... i only want the Phillies to win because they beat the Red Sox but if they didn't beat the Red Sox then i would be rooting for the Rays.

Godservant said...

Rachel and Pastor Lee, I am ALWAYS bored when I'm NOT doing my devotions.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Proverbs has many things to learn about. The main thing I caught was drinking. We need to make sure we dont let our friends get drunk because that one little thing can lead to alot of bigger things or problems in life. Also we need to show the world that we are christians and be good examples for others not just because we should but also because we want our parents to be glad and rejoice! Proverbs mainly just tells us what we should and should not do in life which I think is great because thats what most of us need now is to know whats right and wrong. And by the way Pastor Lee I think that should be a new slogan "Friends dont let friends drink!!!!!!" Quoted by P.L. We need to be careful who we choose to be friends with too because that can tell alot about a person just by the people they hang out with. I hope this is something all of us can learn from! Dont drink or let friends drink! bye for now everyone and great game tonight Jessica!!!! Hope your having fun at the world series P.L.!!! GO RAYS!

Rachel Evelyn said...

Wow. I just got back from hallow-o-scream, crazy stuff.

That actually brings up one of the points of the chapter that is hitting home for me right now. That we are able to drink but not become drunk. I was at the park tonight and all around me I was watching underage students drinking. It was very shocking and I was glad to be in an alcohol-free group. It can be so easy to fall into temptations.
Do not let your heart envy sinners, But be zealous for the fear of the LORD all the day;
This is very hard to do. In the day-to-day lives it may seem that sinners have it far easier than Christians, but they don't. I have to tell myself that a lot so that I don't fall into the trap of sinning for momentary pleasure.

Anyways ladies and gentlemen I have to sleep as soon as possible because I have work at nine!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL MCCUE!!

Anonymous said...

In reference to what rachel evelyn said .... "In the day-to-day lives it may seem that sinners have it far easier than Christians, but they don't. I have to tell myself that a lot so that I don't fall into the trap of sinning for momentary pleasure".....

A Quote;
'The chief cause of unhappiness is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.'

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!