SUNDAY, October 12th, 2008

Hey Everyone! I amso thankful for you guys! Tonight was such a great day! I am sorry (again) for posting this so late, I have been at church all day (from 8:00am to 8:45pm) so now is my first opportunity all day!

We had a WONDERFUL night tonight! I was so encouraged by you guys and by all of the adults who were so encouraging!!! I loved it! We need to do that more often!

Well, on to the devotions!

Romans 8

1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Sonship Through the Spirit
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

8 comments:

Pastor Lee said...

Wow! What an incredible passage! There is so many great things in this passage that I broke this chapter down into different days... hope you dont mind.

This passage has helped me in life through many different struggles!

God sent his OWN son in "the likeness of sinful flesh"

Then verse 5 says: people who are in the flesh set their minds on fleshly things... and people in the spirit set their minds on the spirit of God...

Well, if you are carnally minded... then you will face death (separation from God) and if you are filled with the mind of God, then you will have LIFE AND PEACE!!!!

I choose the second!!

Not only does the carnal mind experience DEATH, but they are also the ENEMY OF GOD!!!!!!!!

I choose NOT TO BE THE ENEMY OF GOD!

Well, If I am honest, I have been carnally minded in the last 24 hours. I do not want that though! I do not want to be separated from God and I definitely do not want to be His enemy!

God forgive me and PLEASE help me to be FILLED with your spirit!

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

I had fun tonight Pastor Lee! if you weren't there you missed out!!!A Lot of people think that we should do that again!(I think so too but if we are singing on the praise team lets choose songs not so high!) Anyways...

There isn't much more I can add, I think Romans explains passages easier than the other books we have done! Basically we need to have minds that are not filled with thoughts of what we want to do, but what God wants us to do and things that are pleasing to Him! I choose the 2nd one to Pastor Lee, I want to have the mind of God so that I can have life and peace! Being carnally minded is death and is a sin which also means you will be separated from God, which I do NOT want! Remember be careful little eyes what you see, ears what you hear, mouth what you say, and mind what you think!!! bye!

Godservant said...

Verse 14: "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God."

Wow, I thought that last verse was cool because it puts us equal to the angels in heaven; which are sometimes referred to as sons of God. As long as we live for God and accept Him as Savior, we can be called children of God (or sons of God, which I think is a more manlier term).

Godservant said...

Pastor Lee, did you get my message on your phone about YOU doing your devotions? Just want to say that I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. By the way, who liked my new awesome tie I wore?

Rachel Evelyn said...

Romans is like a book of the bible written for college students. I am just amazed at the Lord God! How amazing is it that the Lord sent HIS SON to die for us and to save us from our sinful ways. I must admit that I am carnally minded often, too often in fact. I feel so much stronger in my faith and I am so excited to continue reading on in Romans.

It can be so hard a times to not take life living through the flesh because it is EASIER! We talked about drawing from the dirty well right outside our door and going to the clean well over the hill. One hard long days it is SO much easier to go to the dirty well because it is easy rather than the well we KNOW is better for us. I feel myself making that mistake often and I PRAY that the Lord will just change my heart and my mind so that I may act according to his word not mine!
PRAISE THE LORD, for HE is GOOD.

:] wow I am always up so late.

McCue said...

Jesus is my friend! is he yours?! hah ill get to that later. So this passage is pretty inspiring and helps us remember that although we live in this world we are of the spirit and should be in the spirit and of a spiritual mind. I like verse 2 which says that the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus makes us free from the law of sin and death. This in itself is so amazing. Sin has a way of ensaring us in it's lies, it's false sense of pleasure or security. It's as much a law to the sinful as Christ's word should be to the Christian. I always love the feeling I get when I think about how much Jesus loved us that he would make a way for us to be free from the suffering that comes of sin. Then in verse6 it says .."to be spiritually minded is life and peace" I don't know abou everyone else but it seems like if there is anyway whatsoever to get peace of mind in this world and a fulfilling life anybody in their right mind would take it because there Isn't a lot o peace foing on right now. We need to take advantage of the blessing God has given us.

I have a friend in jesus this is great it'll brighten your day classic christian ska check it out
.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor Lee for the great work you & Katie do for our young people. It truly showed with the great evening service Sunday.
I read the devotions every day and am amazed at the good insight these teens have in the passages.

Thanks again for all you do.

Kay Flint

Rachel☺; said...

Sorry AgAiN :/
once again, ive ben falling asleep the second i sit downand not waking up for the rest of the day/night.
i have major school lag.
this morning i was late :/

Anywaysss, (:
I know im not always thinking in a perfect & Godly mindset, but if i make it my focus and avoid carnal thoughts & things that could endorse them, i would be so much better off.
I need to let God fill my mind ALL THE TIME so that sinful thoughts dont even have a chance to enter!

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!