WEDNESDAY, August 27th, 2008

I will post my opening comment later on... :) have fun at school!!

COME TO CHURCH TONIGHT FOR OUR OLYMPIC FINAL EVENTS!!! IT WILL BE GREAT! YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS THIS!!! TRUST ME!

Genesis 13

1 Then Abram went up from Egypt, he and his wife and all that he had, and Lot with him, to the South.
2 Abram was very rich in livestock, in silver, and in gold.
3 And he went on his journey from the South as far as Bethel, to the place where his tent had been at the beginning, between Bethel and Ai,
4 to the place of the altar which he had made there at first. And there Abram called on the name of the LORD.
5 Lot also, who went with Abram, had flocks and herds and tents.
6 Now the land was not able to support them, that they might dwell together, for their possessions were so great that they could not dwell together.
7 And there was strife between the herdsmen of Abram’s livestock and the herdsmen of Lot’s livestock. The Canaanites and the Perizzites then dwelt in the land.
8 So Abram said to Lot, “Please let there be no strife between you and me, and between my herdsmen and your herdsmen; for we are brethren.
9 Is not the whole land before you? Please separate from me. If you take the left, then I will go to the right; or, if you go to the right, then I will go to the left.”
10 And Lot lifted his eyes and saw all the plain of Jordan, that it was well watered everywhere (before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah) like the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt as you go toward Zoar.
11 Then Lot chose for himself all the plain of Jordan, and Lot journeyed east. And they separated from each other.
12 Abram dwelt in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelt in the cities of the plain and pitched his tent even as far as Sodom.
13 But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the LORD.
14 And the LORD said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him: “Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are—northward, southward, eastward, and westward;
15 for all the land which you see I give to you and your descendants forever.
16 And I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if a man could number the dust of the earth, then your descendants also could be numbered.
17 Arise, walk in the land through its length and its width, for I give it to you.”
18 Then Abram moved his tent, and went and dwelt by the terebinth trees of Mamre, which are in Hebron, and built an altar there to the LORD.

This passage reminds me of the commercial where the two brother are about to eat a piece of bread with peanut butter on it. The mom says Bobby will cut and jimmy will choose. Well, you see that in this passage, Abram tells his nephew Lot: This here land is not big enough for the two of us... :) literally! So Abram tells Lot to seperate themselves from each other, and it gets even better... Abram tells Lot that he can choose whatever land He wants and Abram will take the leftovers...

Well, Lot (as we will see in the near future) seemed to be looking for trouble, so He checked out which land would be the best for him... He chose the land that was absolutely beautiful. (it looked like the garden of Eden) This land was Great! However it was also right next to the city of Sodom...

Lot chooses to build his family right next to the wicked city, and we can see how that decision effects the rest of his life. It is really a sad ending that we will read about soon.

It reminds me of Proverbs 4:14, 15
14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.


If we are going to make sure that our life ends succesfully in Gods plan for our life, then we MUST AVOID SIN. WE MUST STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT COULD BRING US DOWN... That may mean a friend, that may mean a certain table at lunch, that may mean we have to get a new job, that may mean we cannot hang out with our neighbors...

But I guarantee you this, if you do not Avoid sin... it will find you, and at some point you will be more likely to give in. Think about Joseph... He LITERALLY RAN FROM POTIPHERS WIFE!

That is amazing! We too MUST RUN FROM SIN! and the people who lead us down a path of sin!

Dont be like Lot!

18 comments:

McCue said...

Such a great passage. I can think, in particular of many things in my life I can do a better job of running from "Lot". I mean if we involve ourselves with the people or places where all kinds of worldly sin happens
we are going to be tempted to do the same. The idea is this: if you don't jump into the Lion's den you won't have to fight off the Lions. SO practical advice but things we should really consciously make and effort to do,

Anonymous said...

this passage really applies to my life. i always try not to get into sin but its always around me and i dont realize that i am not trying to avoid sin. i need to be ALOT more like david and RUN from my sins. i cant wait till church tonight it sounds like we r gouing to have ALOT of fun. see ya at church tonight. :)

Anonymous said...

this passage really applies to my life. i always try not to get into sin but its always around me and i dont realize that i am not trying to avoid sin. i need to be ALOT more like david and RUN from my sins. i cant wait till church tonight it sounds like we r gouing to have ALOT of fun. see ya at church tonight. :)

Anonymous said...

This passage reminds me of James
4:7... Submit to God. Resist the devil. In other words, stick to being righteous and run away from sin. Something hard in public schools is not the work, but the sins that go around that you try to run from. It is like you are in a mosquito infested swamp and you are tying to make it to the other side without getting bit once!! It is hard but still possible.

Tylermon33 said...

this starts out when abram and lot are leaving egypt after being sent out. then when they get to a place abrams and lots herdsmen start aguing so abram tells lot that they should seperate so no more conflict happens. the abram tells lot to chose a place to go and abram will go the opposite. so lot picks the nicest looking land and goes and settles there but that nice land was right next to sodom (a very sinnful, and i mean SINNFUL, place). then abram goes in the opposite direction and God tells abram that the land he sees in front of him will be his and it will be blessed for him and his discendents will be blessed and he will create a city there. then abram builds an alter to the Lord. so we shouldn't get near sin like lot did because if we do than God wont bless us and it will take us farther away from God. also if we listen to God then He will bless us and we will have a stronger and better relationship with Him.



sorry i couldn't come to church tonight my parents were just tired and cary and cassidy are both at practise, so they decided to just not come. :(

Anonymous said...

ok so this passage talks about abraham giving up the better land just to keep from fighting with other people because they were his brothers andif we could be more like abraham maybe we wouldnt have so many wars and bad things happening in our world today and everything would be way more godly .but we as christians need to start the trian this kinda reminds me of the movie pay it forward that one little boy just decided that he would try somethig he made up as a school assignment and it changed the world.wow.just imagine if we as a youth group knew we were responsible for such a big thing...all we have to do is try and sacrifice small things and spread the word of god.it might not mkae a difference in our eyes but in his it will.and plus it could never hurt anyone.

pastor lee im sorry i had to leave early tonite ,my mom was there and i didnt wanna get in trouble and im trying to do my devos as quickly as posible.today was a hectic day and right after volleyball i had to go straight to church.but please tel me who woon tonight on tomorrows devos...as usual i will deff. be there.....but looking @ our posts it makes me wonder where everyone went?????and just so you know i didint have time to post yesterday but i did it in my notebook befopr volleyball...ya yesterday was crazy too.idk if i will be there sunday but ill be praying ill be there.i love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Wow cool passage!!!
SO when i first read pastor Lees explanation I said well why does it matter what land he chose. I mean its possible he's not gonna sin. but then i read the whole thing about run away from sin and if you see it then you shouldn't get involed and thats something i've been struggiling with and defiantly something I need to work on.

Anonymous said...

Ok so this shows me that we need to put God in every aspect of our lives because evry decsion small or BIG can affect us and if God is in it we will always win like if theres a teacher thats bad talking God or the president just ask God for the wisdom on what to do and you will probably get it and i have learned that form experience
and this is off topic but what Michael said about wittnessing to his neighbor or friend or something really got to me and got me thinking that i should do that.
I had fun tonight!!!!!!!!!

HADOKEN!!! said...

Lot and Abram want to separate this land given to them so Abram allows Lot to choose what part of the land he wanted and Abram would take whatever was left. Lot went out and scoped out the area and picked the area next to Sodom which is an evil city just because it looked good. We cant do that in our lives because if we get close to sin it will start to seem alright and you start to take baby steps toward that sin. We need to get as far as possible from that sin so that we don't even have the opertunity to check it out.

Kacey! said...

At the Wilds, I made a decision to witness to at least one person a day. I completely forgot about it until you said something about Michael witnessing to his neighbor. That really convicted me! I can't believe I forgot! Wow, I deserve to be slapped. Anyways, please pray that I will stick to my decision. For me, talking to people I don’t really know is tough. But once again, it gives me an opportunity to get out of my comfort zone. And hopefully someday it will be in my comfort zone. (:


Ok, Abraham was really good at handling this situation. Doing it that way avoided conflict. But Lot wasn’t so smart. Just because something looks like a nice place doesn’t mean it is. Next to that city was a wicked one! And we are told by God to avoid sin completely! And if Lot prayed and asked God what he should do, Lot probably wouldn’t have been in the situation he is in now. In every aspect of our lives, we should seek God’s advice! He knows everything, even the future. And He won’t give us bad advice.

aicirt said...

Why in the world would Lot choose to bring up his family on the outskirts of the wickedest city of that time? But it all worked out, for Abram anyway, because God gave him all the land he could see in all directions, which is awesome!

Flee from EVIL!! And when you obey God, He will reward you in someway!

aicirt said...

Pastor Lee, I made up all my devos from Sunday to Now, Im not sure how much counts for the trip but I did them and hopefully I can get them done daily, now that Im kinda in the groove of school.

Rachel☺; said...

**BETHANY IF YOU MAYBE BY SOME CHANCE READ THIS, ill be calling you to see how youre doing and i love you sooo muchh girlie!

Ok, so im seeing that Lot, here, was self focused and not chasing the right things which obviously leads to tragedy.
Im pretty bad at this so im mainly talking to myself here, but, like Abram, i should think of others before myself.
Like today this girls bag totally dumped all over the floor in the locker room right when the bell rang and there was stuff evvverywhere. i thought about helping her but there was a huge rush of girls shoving out of the doors in the locker room. Afterwards i kinda felt bad because i realized i couldve sacrificed just a tiny bit of my time to spare a lot of hers and probably couldve made a new friend.
Thats a small example, (and dont think im like, an awful person lol)but it can start there. Im learning that the more you give, the easier it is to give, and the better you will feel knowing you made someones day better.
I could definitely be more thoughtful.
And #2; am i seeking the truly right things? I know im not the best here 110% of the time either, but i know im slowly growing wiser in that area.
Lot was looking completely for his immediate benefit without thinking of the most important thing.
Is God in this place and can i serve Him with this?
A lot like what i should be asking myself more; is this something i can use for Gods good? Is it truly something not worth it?

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

So, first I need to say that I was still at church till around 10:00 because my dad was helping Carl with computer problems! So while I was just sitting there listening to Casting Crowns and Stephen Curtis Chapman I look up and see my dads bible sitting there in the car and think to myself why not just do my devotions now!! So Im going through Genesis remembering we have done chapters 11 and 12 the past 2 days and then realize we are in chapter 13! So thank goodness I have been doing my devotions the past week because if not I wouldn't have been able to remember what chapter to read! Lol! And would have just listened to the same songs over and over and over for about an hour and a half!

WOW ok anyways now I will tell you what I learned while I was sitting in the car doing my devotions! :) I see that Abram and Lot have had a few problems so to make them stop they decide to leave and go in opposite directions. Abram even is nice about it and lets Lot choose where he would like to go. Lot picks the land that he thinks is the most beautiful which ends up being near a sinful city. God gave all the land that Abram ended up getting, to him and his descendants. WE need to choose the land that isnt closest to sin because if we are near sin we will be tempted more and more to do those things because we are around it so much.I need to Choose the right friends especially because they are the ones im around the most!
I will c-yall Sunday Bye!

Daemis WolfBorn said...

Wow I agree with Mccue with the lions dens thing, but sometimes the lion doesnt always come too you. For example this year this kid wants to be my friend because im funny and stuff so he wants to hang with me but hes a druggy and listens to awful music. So I guess all i can do is flee? It's hard to avoid sin its everyone you cant have a moments rest ><

Hey pastor Lee I life changing question for you...


Should I be the joker or sub zero for hollow ween?

Jessica M said...

Here we see that Abram and Lot have separated and gone different for future reference that Lot moved his livestock toward Sodom and Sodom was a very evil and wicked city. I think that is important to remember that...it is almost like foreshadowing! I also think it is neat how God is blessing Abram, by giving him generations and generations of offsprings. It talks about how as much dust as there is on the ground that is how many offsprings he will have. I think God wants to bless us as well if we just follow him with our life.

RYAN said...

uhh i hate the leftovers. Abram must have been very humble if he let his nephew choose first. God is so great that he gave this land to Abram and all of his decendents. he also blessed this land and Abram showed his thanks by building an altar. to me i think this passage is telling me to be humble and not selfish and god will bless me.

Amy :) said...

Whenever I read this devotion I think of Lot picking the part of land that he wanted to build his family on, This was soo foolish of Lot to do, I mean come on if you see a city that is like right next to a really evil city do you build right next to it? no I wouldnt of. Abram was a very wise person, he was very rich in having a lot of livestock and silver and gold, I bet Abram made a land that was like 100% better than Lots.

Example:
If you are on the computer and a pop up comes up that is totally inappropriate you should, turn your monitor off, restart the computer. Run away from sin, because we see in the Bible in other verses that sin can make you so stupid.!

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!