THURSDAY, August 28th, 2008

Hey everyone! I hope you had a wonderful Thursday! Tomorrow is FRIDAY and then you get a nice long weekend!! Woo Hoo!!

A Few Thoghts From YEsterday:
DAvid Deller: I think if you can pull the joker off then go for it, but don't do a cheesy imitation. I font have a clue who the other guy is. Personally I think you should get with Josh sandefur all night and You can both be the hulk. He can be the guy before the transformation and you can be the HULK!!!! Cool Huh??

Bethany: We did miss you, but I understand: How was volley ball practice today? By the way: Jessica Massey won for the girls and Jake Barnthouse won for the guys! It was pretty fun!



You should read over the first 10 verses, but dont get bogged down with them... They are simply explaining the army that went in to overtake Sodom, [and Lot]... I will explain the rest at the end.

Genesis 14

1 And it came to pass in the days of Amraphel king of Shinar, Arioch king of Ellasar, Chedorlaomer king of Elam, and Tidal king of nations,
2 that they made war with Bera king of Sodom, Birsha king of Gomorrah, Shinab king of Admah, Shemeber king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (that is, Zoar).
3 All these joined together in the Valley of Siddim (that is, the Salt Sea).
4 Twelve years they served Chedorlaomer, and in the thirteenth year they rebelled.
5 In the fourteenth year Chedorlaomer and the kings that were with him came and attacked the Rephaim in Ashteroth Karnaim, the Zuzim in Ham, the Emim in Shaveh Kiriathaim,
6 and the Horites in their mountain of Seir, as far as El Paran, which is by the wilderness.
7 Then they turned back and came to En Mishpat (that is, Kadesh), and attacked all the country of the Amalekites, and also the Amorites who dwelt in Hazezon Tamar.
8 And the king of Sodom, the king of Gomorrah, the king of Admah, the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (that is, Zoar) went out and joined together in battle in the Valley of Siddim
9 against Chedorlaomer king of Elam, Tidal king of nations, Amraphel king of Shinar, and Arioch king of Ellasar—four kings against five.
10 Now the Valley of Siddim was full of asphalt pits; and the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled; some fell there, and the remainder fled to the mountains.
11 Then they took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah, and all their provisions, and went their way.
12 They also took Lot, Abram’s brother’s son who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
13 Then one who had escaped came and told Abram the Hebrew, for he dwelt by the terebinth trees of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol and brother of Aner; and they were allies with Abram.
14 Now when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his three hundred and eighteen trained servants who were born in his own house, and went in pursuit as far as Dan.
15 He divided his forces against them by night, and he and his servants attacked them and pursued them as far as Hobah, which is north of Damascus.
16 So he brought back all the goods, and also brought back his brother Lot and his goods, as well as the women and the people.
17 And the king of Sodom went out to meet him at the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King’s Valley), after his return from the defeat of Chedorlaomer and the kings who were with him.
Abram and Melchizedek
18 Then Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; he was the priest of God Most High.
19 And he blessed him and said: “ Blessed be Abram of God Most High, Possessor of heaven and earth;
20 And blessed be God Most High, Who has delivered your enemies into your hand.” And he gave him a tithe of all.
21 Now the king of Sodom said to Abram, “Give me the persons, and take the goods for yourself.”
22 But Abram said to the king of Sodom, “I have raised my hand to the LORD, God Most High, the Possessor of heaven and earth,
23 that I will take nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap, and that I will not take anything that is yours, lest you should say, ‘I have made Abram rich’
24 except only what the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men who went with me: Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.”

Well, what do you think about that? There is so much great stuff in this passage! My first thought is a follow up from yesterday: Lot was captured... WITH SODOM... If you play with snakes you are going to get bit. If Lot had never chosen to be close to Sodom he would have never been put in this situation. STAY AWAY FROM SIN!!!!

But... The cool part is that God always has a back up plan in spite of our mistakes... For Example: In this story we see that Abraham gets all of his "boyz" and they go... shall we say... lay the smack down? or maybe "they powned"!! all to find Abrahams little nephew, Lot.

God does the same thing in our life... maybe there is not an army of more than 300 people coming to our rescue, but God definitely has a plan to rescue us from our mistakes.

I can think of many times in my life where I have been one decision away from destroying my life... but by God's grace... He put a rescue plan into action!!

God loves you so much that He has a rescue plan for you! If you are off track right now, allow God to pull you back on track and and rescue you from your sinful decisions!!!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first this passage was difficult, but after I read it twice the application seemed so simple. Pastor Lee says all the time "sin makes you stupid." This is absolutely true. Lot never would have thought he would have been in the situations he was, but that is what happens when you allow yourself to even get close to sin. Easily summed up: stay away from sin or you will face consequences! You might think it won't affect you, but IT DOES!!!

Daemis WolfBorn said...

ROFL Pastor Lee. What a funny guy! I agree Abram got his boyz and rolled some scrubs that thought they were good enough to take from him!

God does not have 300 people coming after us but he will rescue us from our sins tanks to his forgiveness. We are part of his army and we have to tell others about his grace and mercy. I need to get pulled back on track, I guess that is why I am the 2nd to comment?

Btw Pastor Lee this is David, and you didn't answer my life changing question.
Should I be Sub-Zero or The Joker for hallow ween?

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how, even though we sin against Him, The God of The Most High is willing to rescue us from our own mistakes! What a guy!

Jessica M said...

I MADE UP YESTERDAYS!!! :)

>Well.... half of the beginning of this passage was a bunch of words that even us SMART kids probably couldn't understand :) But, then we see Abram rescue Lot and his possessions. Then Abram became humble in saying that unless the king is willing to give him the "stuff" then Abram will not take anything from him. He said this because he had made a promise to God. And now I am sure that we will see God begin to reward Abram for his faithfulness.

Anonymous said...

Testing 123 I want a picture next to my name. Pastor Lee, call me back soon.

Anonymous said...

ya i agree with katie this passage was pretty confusing at first but i read it oveer and pastor lees explination.god kept lot from possibly being killed even though he was with poeple he shoudnt have been with.this shows me god always has a plan for my life and he only wil give me what i can take.whether it is in school or @ home if i stay faithful to god he will be faithful to me forever.reading this passage made me really greatful for the relationship i have with god and even though i might mess up sometimes god will always be there to pick me up.i know i can always count on him.

pastor lee are you ever gonna come to lunch @ nphs cuz i think it would be amazing to see you one day!i look forward to seeing you all @ church sunday.love ya.

Bethany B. said...

First of all Sodom and Lot got captured. I guess God is trying to show them that sinning is not the way to go. Following Sodom was not a smart thing to do. I think it's so neat that God has a plan for us to be rescued from sin. We all need that at times.

Pastor Lee, I have two praises to share with you,first of all the thing I mentioned on here the other day, well God definitely answered by prayer. The other thing is that me and Sarah Barnard went to the Lighthouse Outreach Center tonight and it was a blessing feeding all those people.

Bethany B. said...

Oh yeah thanx for praying for me!

Nick Hill said...

I think the Lord helped me with my school log at votech. I will try to going to church more. Link 18

Tylermon33 said...

this starts out by lot making a bad descision and hanging close to sodom and getting caught up with their bad decisions. then there is a war between some kings and sodom and gamora and lot gets captured and all his belongings with him. so abram hears about this and he and his army of a little over 300 people go to get lot and his family back. so abram goes and captures him back and conqueres the other army that captured him. then one of the kings came to abram and blessed him and believed in God because 300 people beat his whole army to take back lot and his family. then the king tells abram that he can take anything he wants from him but he said he wasn't even going to take a lace off a sandle, the only thing he wanted was for his men to have eaten, so the king gave them food. thats cool that even when we make bad decisions God is still with us and is still protecting us. so first of all we should try not to make bad decisions but if we do, which we all will, we should ask God to forgive us and try not to do it a second time. always remember that God is always with us!!!

Amy :) said...

Like in the other devos this week Sin makes you STUPID!! Like in the Bible somewhere it talks about how God is our shepard and we are His sheep and that if we stray away, He will come and find us and wrap us up in His arms. I love this passage cause its kinda talking about the same thing.

The new kids at my skool, I know arnt saved and they say stuff that is not good and I just need you to pray for me as I try to be a good Christ-like example to these kids. I want to try to witness to them, pray for me in that way too. Oh and my dad in Iraq.

Hey P.Lee I forgot the pray request website thats why I put these prayer requests on here, can u tell me it again?

Anonymous said...

Man I had to read this passage like 5 times before I got it!!!

Like everyone else said "Sin does make you stupid" and we need to do our best to stay away from it. and what goes around comes around so be prepared for the consequences! but no matter what we do God is always behind us to catch us when we fall!!!:)

RYAN said...

now at the beggining of this passaage all those weird words were a little to big for my brain to handle but after that this message was great. it is amazing how Abram heard that his nephew was captured and he got up and left with 300 men. they were going to get his nephew and rescue him just as God rescues us from sin. it is great how after all that Abram did he did not except a reward or a thankyou. just like in Lots situatio i think it is just better to stay away from sin completely.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

WoW I must say these people had some funky weird names! I guess what I got from this was that God has a plan for your life and when a mistake is made he has a back up plan to help you get through! Its the total truth to because he helps me all the time with problems with friends or everyday life problems! Even though its probably not going to be 300 people to the rescue, He will still come to you with a new plan to help you out! But most of all just stay away from sin so that it doesnt make you stupid and destroy your life in the first place! Well I will c-yall Sunday! Bye

Kacey! said...

http://wsmr.nwc.edu/concert.php?id=1810&cid=4

^^ PL, read that and think about it. I think it will be a great youth group thing! And I’m sure that it’s going to be a good movie because Facing the Giants was.

Oh and I got the book Do Hard Things today. I’m going to read it at school in English class, so I’ll tell you what I think about it tomorrow, (:

Ok, now to the devotions…
I’m so grateful that our God is a God of second chances! For me, there has been ‘rescue plans’ x74952638103! God knows that we are going to mess up, that’s why He made rescue plans. But that doesn’t give us the right to knowingly mess up. Whoa, God is amazing!

Daemis WolfBorn said...

Nvm P. Lee you did answer my question I did'nt see that. I already have my joker costume planned out its pretty expensive so ill just be him 2 yrs in a row.

Rachel☺; said...

oh my cow. im so tired right now i could cry. i have only done half my homework so far. ive been busy from the second i woke up till now and i have yucky florida writes testing or whatever in the morning.
ugggh.
If you ask me, florida shouldnt have to write.
):

Well i cant say too much.. im so brain dead.
But its pretty cool here how God saves us not only once, but over and over again. It reminds me of tightrope walkers and what a narrow path they need to stay on not to fall; a lot like my Christian path and the scary nothing-but-air around me to save me.
Will i fall? Not with God; He is like my safety net when i stumble and im soso so thankful for that.

HADOKEN!!! said...

For future reference Pastor Lee it is spelled pwnd or pwn'd not powned

I love that God gives second chances because without them we would is some serious trouble. God wants us to succeed, Hes not just sitting up in heaven saying oh you failed what a loser on to the next one, He is giving us another chance to live for Him. Now, all we need to do is to take that opertunity whole heartedly.

PEACE OUT GANGSTAS!!!!!!!!!

aicirt said...

This is a really good passage: Lot was dumb for being by Sodom and he paid the price for it.

God is always there to rescue us from danger, and we need to be grateful for it.

Anonymous said...

I love what Pstor Lee said that God always has a back up plan for our mistakes and it might not be as good but thats our problem thats why we need to do what God says immediatly not wait so God says i want you to go to the Amazon and tell the gospel and you wait two weeks to gife answer an you push it off and push it off then before you know it that door was SLAMED CLOSED and you think well im glad thats over with then you find out that the people who went on this trip was found by an organization and now there gewtting payed thousands os dollars for it and then another door opens so you go and do it but the blessing isint as great as if you did it the first time so we need to just have faith in what Gods doing.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!