TUESDAY, August 26th, 2008

Wow! Where was everyone yesterday?? Only 11 different people did their devotions! Can you believe it?? If you know someone who was not on the devo blog yesterday then call them up and tell them to GET ON HERE!!

So some of you have no school today?? Already? How did you manage that?


Thoughts From Yesterday:
Michael: I answered your question in my comments? Did you read them? I explained why God would change their languages for building a building. Go back and read it.
Everyone: I would encourage you to read my explanation of the passage. If you do not, that is ok, but usually I break down the passage and explain it to you in a way you might not have understood before.
Rachel: Great Job on the devos yesterday! I like your new picture too!
Bethany: Wow!!! You get to do 100 full court suicides tomorrow too?? Can I Come!!!!!! NOT! :)
Brooke: I think it is funny that you said... My "puppy" is about to have "kittens"... wow! That is scary! I don't even want to know! J/K!
Bethany: I am praying for you girl, I am sorry you are going through something tough! Let me know if I can help in any way!
Alex: I was about to tell Josh how good his devotions were then I read yours and... WOW!!!! GREAT JOB ON THE DEVOS YESTERDAY!
Rachel: You are exactly right! Thry found the people they could communicate with and they left and went to start their own city.
Josh L: DO YOUR DEVOTIONS AND GO TO BED EARLIER!!!!!

Genesis 12

1 Now the LORD had said to Abram: “Get out of your country, From your family And from your father’s house, To a land that I will show you.
2 I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; And you shall be a blessing.
3 I will bless those who bless you, And I will curse him who curses you; And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
4 So Abram departed as the LORD had spoken to him, and Lot went with him. And Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran.
5 Then Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his brother’s son, and all their possessions that they had gathered, and the people whom they had acquired in Haran, and they departed to go to the land of Canaan. So they came to the land of Canaan.
6 Abram passed through the land to the place of Shechem, as far as the terebinth tree of Moreh. And the Canaanites were then in the land.
7 Then the LORD appeared to Abram and said, “To your descendants I will give this land.” And there he built an altar to the LORD, who had appeared to him.
8 And he moved from there to the mountain east of Bethel, and he pitched his tent with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east; there he built an altar to the LORD and called on the name of the LORD.
9 So Abram journeyed, going on still toward the South.

Abram in Egypt
10 Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to dwell there, for the famine was severe in the land.
11 And it came to pass, when he was close to entering Egypt, that he said to Sarai his wife, “Indeed I know that you are a woman of beautiful countenance.
12 Therefore it will happen, when the Egyptians see you, that they will say, ‘This is his wife’; and they will kill me, but they will let you live.
13 Please say you are my sister, that it may be well with me for your sake, and that I may live because of you.”
14 So it was, when Abram came into Egypt, that the Egyptians saw the woman, that she was very beautiful.
15 The princes of Pharaoh also saw her and commended her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken to Pharaoh’s house.
16 He treated Abram well for her sake. He had sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male and female servants, female donkeys, and camels.
17 But the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram’s wife.
18 And Pharaoh called Abram and said, “What is this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she was your wife?
19 Why did you say, ‘She is my sister’? I might have taken her as my wife. Now therefore, here is your wife; take her and go your way.”
20 So Pharaoh commanded his men concerning him; and they sent him away, with his wife and all that he had.

Wow! Can I just say: SIN MAKES YOU STUPID!!!! So the story starts off Great! We see that Abram is told by God to take his direct family and all of his belongings and go to a place that God will give him. Abram obeyed. God explained that Abram would receive many blessings for his obedience, God explained that Abram would be the father of many blessed nations!!

Every heard the song: "Father Abraham... had many sons" well, there you go"

So the story is going great, God commands, Abram obeys... WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENS NEXT?? There is a famine in the land... so what does Abram do? He turns to man for answers. The passage says nothing about Abram tunring to God for help through the famine. Abram simply decides to go to Egypt.

I don't know how to say this in the MOST APPROPRIATE way, so I will say this passage makes it clear that Abrams wife, Sarai, was hot! She was absolutely beautiful! I mean what kind of woman walks into a city and EVERYONE notices how beautiful she is, so much so that they go straight to the KING and tell him about her, and she ends up going to his "house".

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? What a coward? Abram let his BEAUTIFUL wife go to be with Pharoah so that he wouldnt be killed? I can tell you right now... You would have to kill me before I let you just take my wife away... and you better hope I don't get to you first!

Sin makes you SO STUPID... Abram was willing to give away his wonderful relationship with his beautiful wife, just so that He wouldnt get killed... can I explain it like this: GOD HAD HUGE PLANS FOR ABRAM!!! THERE IS NO WAY THAT PHAROAH WOULD or COULD HAVE KILLED ABRAM.

If Abram would have TRUSTED GOD... then he would have kept his beautiful wife for himself (the way God planned it in the first place). That is what happens when we stop trusting God and obeying Gods plan for our lives. We often cheat ourselves out of the great plan that God has for us!

We must not fall into this trap of tusting in our own plan, and in our own strength... even when times get tough, or scary: we must simply trust God and obey God! It will be worth it! Don't cheat yourself and your family by not trusting God.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see now from yesterday that the tower was bad 'cause you can't work your way to heaven.

The last time I read this chapter of Genisis I was clueless about why Abram went to Egypt, but now I realize it was because he went to man for guidance with the famine over the land. Obey God and problems like this you will not have to worry about because our God delivers us!

Rachel☺; said...

So Abram had a huge road of opportunity set out for him of Gods plans and blessings, and at first, he followed it.
Now, i dont know why he would screw up like he did, but obviously if he was passsing his wife off as his sister, he wasnt in the right place at the right time.
Abram didnt realize that when you dont turn to God and seek His way, your own way will lead you away from Him.
The funniest part to me, i dont know if im right, but it looks like in the end Abram embarasses himself.
It seems to me that pharaoh is wondering how dumb is this guy!?
Abram messed up a lot of things by going his own way, and it seems like there are many times in the bible where we see this happen and should learn from it.
God plans and makes plans for our lives with intentions of them to be followed, and going your own way is telling Him that everything great He has in store for you isnt worth what you want to do.
Right about now what i can do to follow God is obey Him so my future plans by Him are not ruined by my selfishness or by my not-so-independent independence.

Bethany B. said...

So we all know Abram turning his back on God was completely stupid.He was on the right track until he turned to man for answers over the famine in the land and gave up his wife to pharaoh to save himself from dying,even though pharaoh probably would not even have killed him. Abram should have trusted in God the whole time. Abram had alot of opportunity until he set his mind on himself instead of God.By Abram attempting to save himself was stupid because pharaoh was probably thinking " what is guy thinking,I would not kill him."

This just shows us that we need to follow Gods plan for us, because he will always have a better plan for us than we will have for ourselves.

weird high school kid said...

ALRIGHT FINE MAYBE I WILL DO MY DEVOTIONS SOONER IF MY COMPUTER WILL STOP HAVING SERIOUS INTERNETUAL PROBLEMS ARRGH!

So Pastor Lee if you want to know what kind of woman is so hot everyone stares at her and would take her to the king, that is if there is a king to be taken to? That woman is none other than the one and only Mrs. Katie Tomlin!

So yeah in the end he didn't put his whole faith into god and in the end ended up getting nothing, or at least for now. Man how stupid could you be to let your HOT wife go away just so you won't be killed.

Lessons of the day

1 listen to god and put your trust in him.

2 If you have a hot chick for a wife don't be stupid and just let her go, unless she becomes ungodly and just lives an absolutely sinfull life.

3 do not be afraid of what might happen for god shall provide.

Jessica M said...

Trusting God, that is what is always come down to! Abram should have but instead he turned to a man for answers. That will get you no were. I have learned that. Cheating is also what Pastor Lee mentioned...and that is HUGE!!! I guess it is natural for us to get ourselves out of tough situations, but if we have to hurt others to do so, or put our friends, family, or in this case our wife at risk than maybe there is a better way. BUT THERE IS! GOD! Trust HIM with your life and HE will never fail you, even though the world will! Look to God not man!

Gaby said...

Abraham had so much going for him yet, he messes it all up on the end by sining. He lets his own wife go into Pharaoh to save his own butt. WOW if my husband ever did that let me just tell you i would be kicking his butt. He turns to trustin man instead of god. If he had just trusted god to take car of him it would have been all fine.

Anonymous said...

hello everyone!!!pastor lee have you heard david archuleta's new song? if you havent you should it is called crush!(lucy likes it too)

okay so today i relized that i need to wok on putting my trust in god instead of in other people because god is always right and people can be idiots!!!

well see you al in church tomorrow!!

Anonymous said...

HA Jessica yeah pastor lee crush is my favorite song now!and i love your picture Rachel!
So God tells Abram to leave his country and go to another nation. and God will bless him and make his name great and he will be a blessing in that nation. Then he says he will bless those who bless him and he will curse those who curse him. So then he goes to this city with his wife and sons and his wife goes to the kings house because he doesn't want to get killed, what a jerk. if my husband gave me away because he didn't wwant to get killed...i don't even know what i'd do!!!

Tylermon33 said...

this starts out by God telling abram to leave the town he was in and for him to take his immediate family and go to canaan. so at first abram obeys and goes to canaan and lives there for a while, but then a famine hits so abram and his family go to egypt. so during his journey to egypt from canaan he tells his wife that since she is so beautiful that she has to say that she is abrams sister so that he dosen't die (wow he was worried about his own life even when God sayed that if anyone were to hurt abram He would kill them). so when they get into egypt and she says that she is his sister they take her to pharoh and pharoh wants her to become his wife. then a plague hits pharohs house and he finds out that she was really abrams wife and he gets very mad and kicks them out of the city. so again we need to just listen to God the first time and keep on listening to Him because He wont let anything hurt us if we just listen to Him.

Tylermon33 said...

oh ya i did my devos. for yesterday. just wanted to let you know.

Rachel☺; said...

thanks lucky (:

HADOKEN!!! said...

In this passage Abram looks good to start out he is listening to God. Unfortunetly, it all goes sour when the fammine happens. Abram turns away from God to solve his problem. Obviously when we look away from God it will be hard if not impossible to get wht we desire. If we just pray to Him about what we want I can say without a doubt that somthing will happen a lot sooner.

Anonymous said...

Ok sos Abram listened to God and did what he says and God told him that he would bless him emensley and what does Abram do HE GOES AND TURNS TO THE WORLD FOR HELP im ean cmon thats so DUMB Your Right Pastor Lee SIN DOES MAKE YOU STUPID but anyways then he gives his wife up and what i dont understand why Pastor Lee Is calling AN OLD WOMEN HOT!!!!!!!!!!
But anyway he gives her up so HE wont be killed which i think it is a little selfish because i wouldnt give my wife up for anything and i couldnt watch her being with another man even if it i knew she still loved me it would just be weird and i think we just need to listen to God in everything because in just the little thing that Abram didnt listen too he got in some BIG trouble in Matthew 13:12 it says "To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given, and they will have an abundance of knowledge. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them" and i think thats what happened to Abram.
I will see you all in church tomarrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

WOW!! Ok so this passage is clear to me that sin makes you stupid!!! Why would anyone give their own wife up just so that they are not killed!?!?! I mean that's ridiculous!! He cared to much about himself that he would rather his wife almost be taken by Pharaoh so that she is now his wife! He lost all trust in God and trusted his own plans to work and guess what... they failed! He was doing such a great job obeying God and then made a sin and messed everything up! God had much better things in store for him and thats why we need to always follow His ways and not our own or anyone elses!!! WoWoWoW!!!

Well I guess I might see yall tomorrow! My day off school was great, hope everyone elses was too! trust God and follow His plans for your life and not your own! bye!

Amy :) said...

Thats sooo cool that Abram got rewarded for his obedience to God! But then Abram turns his back on God... how stupid. Sin does make you stupid, because its not for God its for you. You shouldnt be like " Look at me" all the time you should be like " Loo at God" all the time, Like in the Bible somewhere it says that you cant serve two masters. So dont serve yourself, serve God, -- at least you get something out of that.

Amy :) said...

oops i put loo at me i meant look at me

Amy :) said...

i mean look at God

RYAN said...

Abram must have had so much faith in God. he trusted him enough that he left his home andtook his family with him. he went were he did not know and he was promised he would be blessed. it is amazing to think that god even blessed them during the famine. it is cool God made a plague upon pharoah and his house because he had stolen Abrams wife. it is funny to see how fast someone can turn from there wrong doing when consequeces are involved.

Kacey! said...

I think that sometimes we forget that God knows us better than we know ourselves. That's when we start to act stupid. God has a plan for our lives! All we need to do is trust and obey Him. Whatever He says, we need to do. No matter how ridiculous it sounds to us. No matter how difficult the task is, God is in control and nothing is impossible for Him. That reminds me of that song ‘Nothing is impossible when you put your trust in God…’ Wow, now it’s stuck in my head, : /

Well, I’ll see ya’ll at church tomorrow, (:

aicirt said...

Wow, okay Sarai pretend that your my sister so they won't kill me and go with them and stay at Pharoahs house because I want to live.

WOW! Thats so stupid, that would kill the relationship right there, lets not turn to God, lets go to Egypt where I know my wife will be lusted after and brought to the king and away from me so that I won't be killed, AH! SLAP HIS FACE!

Anonymous said...

when i read this passage it made me think of the selfish/selfless husband thing and abram is deffinetly the selfish one.he didnt even consider whether his wife wanted to go with pharoah or not he just gve her up so he could live and be happy.how pathetic.i would never wanna marry an ignorant selfish jerk like that!!!=/

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!