FRIDAY, August 29th, 2008

UNBELIEVABLE!!! I spent the last hour writing all the details to each of you and then explaining the devotion and it was ALL DELETED!!!!! I am FRUSTRATED!!!! AAAHHHHHH!!!!

I will shorten this now: Sorry!

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Kacey: Pastor is probably planning on renting a theater or two in Port Charlotte to use that Movie as an outreach!! Cool Huh!
Alex: Thanks for pwning me about my spelling!
NICK!!!!! I am so glad that you cam on here! Stay faithful! Love ya brother! Link 18
Bethany F:I will come to Lunch sometime soon: What lunch do you have?
Bethany B: I am so glad that God answered our prayers!! I am so thankful that you are so involved in our youth group now!! We should try to get Sarah on the devo blog!


Genesis 15

1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward.”
2 But Abram said, “Lord GOD, what will You give me, seeing I go childless, and the heir of my house is Eliezer of Damascus?”
3 Then Abram said, “Look, You have given me no offspring; indeed one born in my house is my heir!”
4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, “This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir.”
5 Then He brought him outside and said, “Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.”
6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
7 Then He said to him, “I am the LORD, who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans, to give you this land to inherit it.”
8 And he said, “Lord GOD, how shall I know that I will inherit it?”
9 So He said to him, “Bring Me a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old female goat, a three-year-old ram, a turtledove, and a young pigeon.”
10 Then he brought all these to Him and cut them in two, down the middle, and placed each piece opposite the other; but he did not cut the birds in two.
11 And when the vultures came down on the carcasses, Abram drove them away.
12 Now when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and behold, horror and great darkness fell upon him.
13 Then He said to Abram: “Know certainly that your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years.
14 And also the nation whom they serve I will judge; afterward they shall come out with great possessions.
15 Now as for you, you shall go to your fathers in peace; you shall be buried at a good old age.
16 But in the fourth generation they shall return here, for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet complete.”
17 And it came to pass, when the sun went down and it was dark, that behold, there appeared a smoking oven and a burning torch that passed between those pieces.
18 On the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying: “To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the River Euphrates
19 the Kenites, the Kenezzites, the Kadmonites,
20 the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Rephaim,
21 the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.”

Ahh! I have to explain this all over again!! I hate stupid computers!

Well here it is: Abram is hanging out and God tells him: Abram, do not fear, I will be your shield! That is pretty cool stuff! Imagine hearing God say that to you!! Wowzers!!

Well, Abram was obviously thinking about something else, because instead of getting really excited about that... He starts questioning God and Gods faithfulness... let me explain...

Gopd promised Abram that He would be the father to many many nations! Well... that cannot happen unless He HAS A CHILD!!! So that is what He asks God....

God tells Abram: Yes, I am going to give you a child... Here is where Abram goes off the deep end.

He basically says: "Prove it" in verse 8.

Can you imagine asking God to prove what He has just told you? Abram has already seen God do so many WONDERFULLY AMAZING THINGS in his lifetime, and now Abram wants evidence that God is going to give him a child...

Ok, God decides to make a covenant with Abram. (I remember that pastor Chip preached a message about something like this)

When people would make a covenant in the olden days, one of the things that they would do is cut a bunch of animals in half and then walk between the animals... The idea was that if the animals could come back together and live again, then the promise would be canceled...

Well, that is what God does here... God shows himself as a burning torch going through the middle of those dead animal carcassas on the ground!! Gross! But I am sure that Abram got the point...

I dont know about you, but if I saw a floating torch burning and smoking and FLOATING through middle of a bunch of dead carcassas I would DEFINITELY BE BELIEVEING SOMETHING!!

Well, we often act just like Abram... we have seen God do so many faithful things in our life, but when God tells us to trust Him... many times we do not! Many times we ask God to prove himself to us in some way. When the truth is that he does not need to prove himself to us. We should jsut believe Him. He is God!!!!!

So unless you want to be smelling a bunch of dead animals... Like Abram :)

TRUST GOD!!!! HE IS FAITHFUL AND WORTHY OF YOUR LOVE AND TRUST!!!

11 comments:

Daemis WolfBorn said...

Heh first again the only bad thing about this is people might read what I post. >.< So Abram asked God to PROVE that he was going to give him a child? Why could'nt he just believe God has already done so much stuff for him.

After all God has proven thats the last 2 words I would would have chosen to say I think my choice of words would have been "Thank you" but thats just me.

So I witnessed to someone today P. Lee I felt all warm and fuzzy inside. I had my head down and I forgot what these two were arguing about but when they split up one sat down near and I heard her saying stuff how she hates her and will never forgive her, and then i remembered veggie tales (Then i laughed at myself for that), and I told her she needs to learn to forgive and give other people 2nd chance because God gives everyone a second chance, so why can't we?

She just gave me a weird face.... But hey i tried what can i say?

P. Lee we got to hang out this weekend because im probably just going to hang out with Mccue, and play video games if i can get a hold of him.

Any ways first to post!

Robert J Bellis-Nottingham said...

Wow, am I truly the first person to leave a comment?
Oh yes, school is back! :)
No worries.

Thank you pastor Lee for today, I couldn't put a value on it, not in money, or in words, because what you are helping me with is worth more than money and words, thank you again. So unbelievably much.


I can actually kind of relate to this passage a good deal, not in the fact that I have walked through dead animals or told god I want proof.. but I have been telling myself that I want someone dear to me to prove themselves, without just trusting, and I can see now, that in any relationship, especially one with God, but even with your parents, and loved ones, if you turn around to them and after they pour their heart out to you and you aren't just thankful and comfort them and show them how much you appreciate what they said, but then turn around and say, "I don't believe you prove it!"

That would be like, the day before your birthday, your parents say I have some presents for you you are going to love! and I love you so much, you are the most important give to me, and I cannot wait to share with you some gifts you are going to enjoy, and then you turn around and say, You're a LIAR I don't believe you, I want it now, no tomorrow, if you really did love me, and you really were going to give me presents, and show me how much you care, you wouldn't wait, you would do it now!

Wouldn't that be just completely awful if you were in your parents shoes, and your child did that to you? or your spouse, or anyone for that matter, that would absolutely hurt!

I wouldn't say that I make that exact mistake, but I can see that I
should be more patient to Gods will
and by doing that, I can show patience, by following his word, and taking the humble road, even when it's hard, and I don't want to, and I really feel I have to stand up for what I believe in.

I understand it's okay to stand up for what I believe in, but not when it's being a complete jerk about it, if you really felt that someone had to prove something to you, you should say something like, I love you, and I believe you, I really do, and it's hard for me to believe you because it has been rough, but I will stand out on a limb, because
you are worth it!

If you turned around and said that to your parents, or God, or anyone, they would be so amazed at how loving you are, and instead of any individual person receiving a gift, The holy spirit would be giving the ultimate gift to each person! The love of Christ would be there, and pure love, without question would show itself evident,

Because so many times in the bible, does it state that love is patient, not whiney, not quick to judge, not demanding, it is understanding, and trusting, and patient.

That is how we need to be to our brothers and sisters in Christ, that's how we need to be to our parents, teachers, friends, even to people who really don't treat us well,

If you run around demanding proof for everything, you would have a hard time liviing with yourself, knowing you are so greedy and only need actions to prove what people give you freely.

Someone told me today, and I believe it was Lee, "That your actions prove your intentions, and your feelings"

And boy do they, That is why we have trials in life, and God allows us to go through things that help us grow, because it's so easy to say thank you God, I Love you, when you've had everything handed to you on a silver platter, and fed to you and cut up for you, but how easy is it to be thankful and patient when you don't have a job for food, or a car to get to work, or a house over your head, or you're too sick to eve fix the problems to get those worked, then how hard is it to say, "thank you God for helping me grow and letting me go through this, because I know for a fact, that I could not make it without my love for you and my trust in you, or your love for me. you support me even when I fall."

When I read the passage today, I thought to myself, as bad as we are today in society, how awful that must have been for God to always actually take the time to TALK to someone, and I dont mean in thier heart, but I mean through an ember of fire, or out aloud, and someone to turn around and say, I'm sorry creator of my life, and the most powerful and amazing thing in the universe, I know that I should never question you, or your love for me, but I am right now, your word isn't good enough for me, prove yourself.

How awful that must be, for 100's of years, to have to deal with that, It's completely amazing how patient and full of Love God is.

But the good news is, God gives us chances, and chances and chances, because he loves us, he lets us learn from our mistakes, not to hurt us, but to help us learn not to make them again, and even better, to TEACH our children and friends how to not make them.

How would any of us react if God came down and in any way shape or form, said, "hey, I love you, and I know you are having a hard time with this, it will be okay, I am watching over you, and your prayers will be answered"

I would probabaly go to the bathroom in my pants, and I would cry, and I would just pray,
I seriously doubt I would just say,
If you honestly believe that, then fix it now I don't want to have to wait any more. I dont' know if I could question Gods will even without him telling me his plan for me, I can only understand that he knows waht he's doing and has the best plan for me already, and fighting it, and not believing it, is only going to hurt myself and the ones I love.

Anyways, sorry this was so long, it's been a long day for me. :)
But I feel a little closer to understanding some very important aspects of forgiveness, and trust, and as always patience.

-Robert

Anonymous said...

Things like this when I read about in the Bible, I think it is ridiculous. Abram things that the God with all the power in the universe, can not give him a child!?! Not to mention God is no liar, but look at all the great things he has done for you!

Rachel☺; said...

BETHANNNNYYYY FLETCHHHERRRRR;
i tried calling you today! i hope youre doing good, (: ♥ love you

So, it seems like were all saying 'why would Abram say that!?' but ill be first to admit that i, in fact, have done just as he has.
My biggest thing is when im expecting God to to one thing, and something the opposite will happen and i will ask Him God, you made me think THAT was gonna happen, whats goin on!? when i really should step back and let His plan unfold.
Im actually learning right now in something im dealing with;
Even sometimes when Gods plan never becomes clear or we dont thik we will ever see the end, we should wait for Him like i am doing now and be patient while waiting for His plans because He is SO patient with us.
Theres no better plan thans Gods plan so stick it out, with no questions asked. (:

Anonymous said...

Wp thats must have been a sight for Abram looking at the sky and seeing the stars and knowing what God had told him and when God said “Bring Me a three-year-old heifer, a three-year-old female goat, a three-year-old ram, a turtledove, and a young pigeon.”
i could not help thinking of the twelve days of christmas but what really got me is that God has miraculus things planed for us and we just need to give our selves up to him so he can do what he wants with us.
Sorry i wasnt on yesterday i was REALLY sick.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

CHARLOTTE WON THE FOOTBALL GAME, YEA!!!!!! Well its Friday which means tomorrow is Saturday and there is no school Monday!WooHoo!

Well anyways I think what caught my eye and everyone elses is that Abram asked God to prove that He would give him a child! We dont realize it but we do that to sometimes! I had to think hard if there has been times where I question things in my life, but there are little things that I ask sometimes why that happened when I think something else will. I just need to trust God and His plan for my life because whatever happens He has a reason for it and will be there to help us along the way, so try hard not to question the things He asks you to do JUST DO IT! Trust HIM and follow HIM! Bye for now everyone!!

RYAN said...

Wow i dont undersstand why Abram would second guess God. if i were him i would trust him from the start because of all that God hath done for him. God is amazing and he still shows abram that he will keep his word. he says that all that he owns Abrams children will also own. it is werd how back then they cut up animals for weird reasons.

Amy :) said...

This is soo AWESOME!! Last night I went to Venice Walkway, and I laid down and I tried to count the stars I was like theres like infinity stars its impossible to count them all!! But God knows how many stars are up there!! WOW.

God can prove a point in the coolest ways like it says here in this passage that God was burning dead animals to let Abram know that God was trying to tell him something.

aicirt said...

We think these people in the Bible are crazy because they see these miracles and still want God to prove is power before they trust Him, but I think we do the same thing. We know the stories and I don't think we really comprehend them because if we did, we would be acting a whole lot different when God tells us to trust Him. Jesus dying on the cross and rising from the dead, water into wine, red sea...God is Awesome and even though He isn't that evident to the world today, we know His power and still question His authority and trust.

Tylermon33 said...

this starts out by God saying that abram would enherit all the land that He would give him and that abram would have a child. so abram dosen't believe it and asks God to show him or pretty much to prove it. so then God tells him to get some animals and cut them in half and God is shown as a burning torch and goes through the split bodies (gross, that is disgusting, if i saw that today i would probably throw up) and i guess that is like a trust thing. so then abram believes God. so we should always trust God and never doubt Him and never ask Him to prove stuff because whatever He says will become fulfilled. so trust in God and believe in God and what ever He says will happen.

Anonymous said...

god had done so many this in abrams life and blessed him with things he didint deserve but still he ididnt trust god.i dont understand how onne person whos life was given to them by christ can be so ignorant and blind to gods grace.idk about everyone else but i think abraham needs to pick up the slack.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!