SATURDAY, May 23rd, 2009

I like Psalms, so we'll go with that :)
Psalm 42

1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God?
4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday.
5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance.
6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar.
7 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me.
8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the day time, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life.
9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?
11Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

Alright! So to me, this passage is saying how the speaker WANTS to be with God, he longs to talk to Him, to communicate with Him and pray to Him!! Yet he doesn't feel like the Lord is there with Him...He keeps crying and wondering why the Lord left Him. I caught something rereading this...in verse 10, the speaker's enemies are mocking him and basically saying 'oh what now, where's your God? I thought he was always there for you? where is now now, huh?' but he still doesn't lose faith.
But the last part of the last verse is my favorite, it brings it all together, and even though he thinks the Lord has left Him, he is STILL going to continue to worship Him! That's awesome, he doesn't lose faith in the Lord!!
"...for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."

~Emily Davis!

3 comments:

weird high school kid said...

Hey so like i was at this awesome party when i swore i saw the longest note in a card i have ever seen and it moved me and made me realize that i have been slacking in my life so yeah.

Sorry guys!!!!

So as for the devotions today, wow its been awhile since I've last said that, It talks about how this guy has been longing for the lord. as you know back where most of the stuff in the bible happened was in the middle eastyish area and so it was hot, so saying how ones soul longs for the lord like a mans heart, or his desires, longs for water is really saying a lot and i mean a REAL LOT! I believe that the third verse is kinda saying how the only way he's been going on day to day is the sadness in his heart, hence the tears, of not having the lord, or not knowing how to have a relationship with the lord is just sooooo troubling that it compels him to push forward and find the truth.

Well unfortunately I have to go and pick someone up so i have to go i would love to stay and chat but on a last note i must say if that last part i said was what the man was thinking then we should be that passionate and seek the truth even if we are on our last leg or however that saying goes.

well see-ya!

AngelWings said...

Nice Job Emily! This passage is really cool because it tells us that we should NEVER give our faith up. For Example, I remember one day at Youth Group that Pastor Lee was talking about when we wait upon The Lord for answers,it can be weeks months even years to recieve answers, but God gives us those answers when he knows that it will result in the best outcome, another blessing I think! I really love verse 8 "Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the day time, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life." meaning that God is always with us no matter what! He protects us because he loves us and that is why staying faithful is soooo important, especially in this day-in-age. We need to share and spread the Gospel. I agree with what Emily said, the author of this passage feels that God isn't with him, but he never gives up hope so then in verse 11, his faith is growing even stronger! Which I hope EVERYONES faith will grow stronger daily! :D
~Victoria

Godservant said...

I like to compare our relationship with God like a marrage, not just because the bible does in Ephesians 5, but because it is just such a good comparision, no wonder why the bible uses it! because if you marry your spouse, you have just began a commitment to be with that person forever, just like you would with Christ. And if you and your spouse live with each other and talk to each other all the time, you are going to have an awesome relationship, just like if you talk to Christ all the time, you're going to have good relationship as well. It would be dumb to be married and not live with your spouse or talk to them ever again, what is the point of getting married in the first place? same with Christ. talk to Him, He longs to talk to you.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!