SUNDAY, March 22nd 2009

Hey guys! Thanks for coming to Sunday School today! I hope to see you in church tonight!!

Here is the passage for today:

Ecclesiastes:

1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
2 “ Vanity of vanities,” says the Preacher; “ Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.”
3 What profit has a man from all his labor In which he toils under the sun?
4 One generation passes away, and another generation comes; But the earth abides forever.
5 The sun also rises, and the sun goes down, And hastens to the place where it arose.
6 The wind goes toward the south, And turns around to the north; The wind whirls about continually, And comes again on its circuit.
7 All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; To the place from which the rivers come, There they return again.
8 All things are full of labor; Man cannot express it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, Nor the ear filled with hearing.
9 That which has been is what will be, That which is done is what will be done, And there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which it may be said, “ See, this is new”? It has already been in ancient times before us.
11 There is no remembrance of former things, Nor will there be any remembrance of things that are to come By those who will come after.
The Grief of Wisdom
12 I, the Preacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.
13 And I set my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under heaven; this burdensome task God has given to the sons of man, by which they may be exercised.
14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and indeed, all is vanity and grasping for the wind.
15 What is crooked cannot be made straight, And what is lacking cannot be numbered.
16 I communed with my heart, saying, “Look, I have attained greatness, and have gained more wisdom than all who were before me in Jerusalem. My heart has understood great wisdom and knowledge.”
17 And I set my heart to know wisdom and to know madness and folly. I perceived that this also is grasping for the wind.
18 For in much wisdom is much grief, And he who increases knowledge increases sorrow.

This whole book is written in such a neat way... imagine being the wisest man that ever lived and you come to the end of your life, what would you tell your children, and the rest of the world? Well, most of this chapter is a SOLID reminder that everything that we do in this life will be looked back upon as a waste, UNLESS WE DO WHAT GOD SAYS, AND DO IT WHEN GOD SAYS, AND DO IT FOR GOD!!!!!

Solomon lived his life and made many mistakes, and when He came to the end of his life He wanted everyone to know what he learned... everything that he thought was so important was not... that is it... it was not as important as it seemed...

Many times we live each day and the details that we are going through seem life altering... who will we go to the prom with, who will we have over to our house this weekend, will we ask that person out, what am I doing on Friday night, I dont want them to think that I am a retard, do they think I am cool? on and on and on the list of un-important (seemingly eternal important) issues...

Next time you are stressed out about something, and you feel like your life may just be over... think about what Solomon said: Dont stress: If it is not done for God and his glory, it is an absoilute waste! Wow! Interesting Huh?

4 comments:

Godservant said...

Pastor Lee, I am surprised that you didn't put in your list of unimportant things, "What chessmaster will I play when I grow up, (**chough**chough** Michael) (: Really surprised.

Anyway, I will admit that chess is definetly not an important issue that should concern me, and I am working on keeping God first in my life, before chess. (PL, I switched God and chess around on my facebook profile, so now leave me alone about it)I look at other people in school, gossiping, and I just avoid it, because it is something no one will remember in a week anyway. What to eat tonight is also something you shouldn't think as just as important as eternity, because your dinner will only last a few minutes. The list goes on like PL said, but ALWAYS put God first, and live for his glory!

AngelWings said...

This passage is straigh forward-don't care about the little things that can be wasteful, but care about what God says and what he wants us to do. Do it for God!
Solomon lived a life with many mistakes, and he probably started to care more for little things instead of the big picture-the word of God. Sometimes it takes us some time to realize the mistakes we have made, like Solomon, he lived his whole life without realzing the mistakes he made, but then he admitted that he learned his lesson, like we need to.
For example, if someone thinks that they are always right and they argue with others, they may be only caring about THEIR word instead of other peoples opinion and even bigger-GOD'S WORD.
Sometimes I struggle and remind myself not to worry or stress over 'little' things because they aren't as important as I think they may be. What matters to me more than anything now is what God says to us each and everyday. Not wasteful things.

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

i think that this passage mainly focuses on keeping what is important first... and keeping what is not... last. this passage says that we should strive to be more like christ and strive to make him first in our life.

McCue said...

Socrates said it best when He mentioned that he is only less foolish than most because he does not pretend to know something about anything. Instead he realizes that he knows nothing about everything and in accepting so he becomes less foolish, or greater in sagacity, than the wise men who claim to KNOW.
Solomon was given Wisdom from God in every situation and yet he says he has attained wisdom but grieves because of it.
Yet he still says He set his heart to attain wisdom and realizes that this is like grasping at wind.
I tried grabbing air in NC it didn't work.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!