SATURDAY, September 6th, 2008

I am driving back to Port Charlotte. Pray we get there safely and pray that our car makes it. :)

I will post more comments about this passage whenever I get home!

Genesis 23

1 Sarah lived one hundred and twenty-seven years; these were the years of the life of Sarah.
2 So Sarah died in Kirjath Arba (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan, and Abraham came to mourn for Sarah and to weep for her.
3 Then Abraham stood up from before his dead, and spoke to the sons of Heth, saying,
4 “I am a foreigner and a visitor among you. Give me property for a burial place among you, that I may bury my dead out of my sight.”
5 And the sons of Heth answered Abraham, saying to him,
6 “Hear us, my lord: You are a mighty prince among us; bury your dead in the choicest of our burial places. None of us will withhold from you his burial place, that you may bury your dead.”
7 Then Abraham stood up and bowed himself to the people of the land, the sons of Heth.
8 And he spoke with them, saying, “If it is your wish that I bury my dead out of my sight, hear me, and meet with Ephron the son of Zohar for me,
9 that he may give me the cave of Machpelah which he has, which is at the end of his field. Let him give it to me at the full price, as property for a burial place among you.”
10 Now Ephron dwelt among the sons of Heth; and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in the presence of the sons of Heth, all who entered at the gate of his city, saying,
11 “No, my lord, hear me: I give you the field and the cave that is in it; I give it to you in the presence of the sons of my people. I give it to you. Bury your dead!”
12 Then Abraham bowed himself down before the people of the land;
13 and he spoke to Ephron in the hearing of the people of the land, saying, “If you will give it, please hear me. I will give you money for the field; take it from me and I will bury my dead there.”
14 And Ephron answered Abraham, saying to him,
15 “My lord, listen to me; the land is worth four hundred shekels of silver. What is that between you and me? So bury your dead.”
16 And Abraham listened to Ephron; and Abraham weighed out the silver for Ephron which he had named in the hearing of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, currency of the merchants.
17 So the field of Ephron which was in Machpelah, which was before Mamre, the field and the cave which was in it, and all the trees that were in the field, which were within all the surrounding borders, were deeded
18 to Abraham as a possession in the presence of the sons of Heth, before all who went in at the gate of his city.
19 And after this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah, before Mamre (that is, Hebron) in the land of Canaan.
20 So the field and the cave that is in it were deeded to Abraham by the sons of Heth as property for a burial place.

I will post more later, but I want to say this: I think a great message that we learn is the way that Abraham responded during a VERY Difficult and emotional time of his life. In spite of all of his heartache he still responded Godly, and honorable.

Abraham made sure that He paid for the land instead of taking advantage of the situation.

16 comments:

Robert J Bellis-Nottingham said...

I think that is amazing because earlier when the king of the last city he was in, found out that sarah was his wife and he almost took her for himself, he gave abraham land, money food, everything, and abraham took it,

But this time, his wife has died, and these people are offering him anything he wants, and he is like, no that's okay I can give you what it's worth,

It just goes t show you that, you shouldn't just run around accepting free things from people if you can afford it, because as it's always nice to give people what you can, it is also nice to pay them for their services and what they have, if you can afford it.

Anonymous said...

ok so in this passage it talks abou sarahs death.abraham is the fater of the nation of heth for he was the father of all nations and he needed a place to bury sarah so instead of being a jerk and taking these peoples land he still paid ephron 400 sheckles for his lnd .even though he was going through a rough time he still acted as godly as ever and didnt take advantage of the situation he was in nor did he ask of his people to pitty hiim.many people have had deaths in thier family and when that happens they ud=se it as an excuse for everything...i guess it is understandable but as christian we should not be so mopey.whoever just died got the opprotunity to see gods face with thier own two eyeballs.thinking of that maks me wonder whether that is what i was thinking.butanyways if you thi k about it its kinda selfish to be all rude and moppey.its easier said that done but i think that if god took them out of the world there ws a reason and whoever laft had accomplished god will....and well i dont really think there is any more things i can apply to that so ill see you guuys in church tomorrow...ps pastor lee i made up thursdays post.my mom told me id have to make it up because i got home too late and i wasnt allowed on the computer...im sorry for not being there

aicirt said...

Im glad that Abraham in spite of all that was going on in his life, especially the death of his wife, that he had respect for the people of the land and paid them in full for the land he buried Sarah on. He claimed her as his wife and wasn't ashamed or fearful.

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

i think these people are demonstrating respect to abraham for the death of his wife, sarah.

its a big deal to bury someone on someone elses land. and these people let abraham do it for free.

and they gave him anything he needed such as food and supplies to comfort him.

PEACE

Bethany B. said...

thats amazing that despite of sarahs death abram still kept his faith in God and pleased him.

Abram still paid for the land, craziness happens, but its all in Gods hands.

Amy :) said...

I would think after Abrams wife died he would have so much bitterness, but he knew it was God's plan for everything, theres some people in the world that if they lose a family member, they r mad like there whole rest of there life because of it.That should'nt slow you down, just trust in God and know that God has everything under control and He has a plan and purpose for everything!!!

Anonymous said...

It is hard to act Godly sometimes when you are in an situation like Abraham's. But if you put 100 percent into your faith, you can get by with flying colors in God's mind and maybe yours.

Anonymous said...

Ok so i am in Word Of Life right now and i am poopin hungry because the food was poop just letting you know that.
Ok so your lliving your life la la la la la and all of a sudden your mom dies or someone special and i would in that ituation get very angry with God and Abraham was very Godly in this situation and i think thats something we can learn from that.

Rachel☺; said...

Hmm, so heres a place where we cant look down on Abraham like thepast passages where He hasbt trusted God because here is a time demonsrated that a lot of us can confess is hard to handle Godly.
I remember when my great grandma died how awful i felt because we werent on very good terms when she died and angry for her being taken away before things could be resolved.
Of course i wallowed in that for a long time and wanted people to feel sorry for me even though i know thats not what God wanted me to do.
Abraham refused to accept pity, and denied the advantage he was offered.
How often do i reject something i know i shouldnt accept?
Well Abraham paid what was to be paid for the burial site even after the people had offered numerous times for him to simply take it.
I can definitely work on being more noble and Godly like that, not just for things like death of people i care about, but also with hoesty, how i treat people, and other stuff.
It all kind of ties together; give people what they deserve of you, and show respect even when they insist its not needed.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Wow Abraham handled that a lot better than I would have! I would have cried for weeks before I did anything about this situation. We see here that Sarah dies and Abraham goes and looks for a place to bury her, so that he didnt have to see her lying there dead. Its great how in this passage the people that owned the land were nice about it. This would be very tough to go through. I think its cool how Abraham payed in full for the land even though he was told to just take it! Wow I definitely think thats how we need to act even though we would more than likely just take the land for free. Abraham handled this in a Godly caring way that we need to try and act more like. Well see yall in church 2moro. bye!

RYAN said...

i think it is great how the people were all willing to give up there land to Abraham to have as a burial ground. they thought of Abraham as a Prince. scince he owned the land he could have just taken it but he payed for it from that one dude. Abraham did some stupid things in his life but he also did some really great things too.

RYAN said...

pastor lee i made up wednesday thursday and friday.

Kacey! said...

Tomorrow I won't be at church because my dad wants me to go with him. I will try to make it tomorrow night though, (:

What Rachel said was pretty much what I wanted to say. When one of my family members passed away, I wanted people to feel sorry for me. That certainly wasn't what God wanted from me. Instead of having a pity party, I should have found a way to show God through my actions and how I dealt with the situation, as Abraham did.

Anonymous said...

ok...i havent been on in a week or so so idk what abrahams been doing...but what i DO see is that he musta been a real good man 4 these sons of Heth 2 just offer it up for his taking

& Abraham, even in a time of death & despair still chose the path 2 glorify god & ISIST on paying 4 the land!

reminds me of when my fam. goes out 2 dinner w/friends & my rents INSIST on payin & its just a battle back & 4th -lol-

***********************************
***********************************
***********************************
***********************************

sorry i aint been on...me & my dad havent been on good terms lately...just a buncha stress at home keepin us on edge =[ he's not home & my mom said i could...i think ima b able 2 get on more often cuz after my bro got in trouble, he's backed off -lol-

PUPPY HAD HER KITTENS!!! only 2 tho...she was HUGE...

09-060-08

2:39pm 1st baby-miracle(babies were thot 2 b still born last wk) A.K.A monkey ( that is the most active kitten ive EVER seen...he was ALL OVER PUPPY!!! crawlin & climbin 10 min after birth)DESCRIPTION: solid black & male

9:03pm 2nd baby- yoda (bro named) DESCRIPTION: black body & a faded white gray & blay tiger stripped face & legs & male

anyways...ill have pics in a few days when im allowed 2 touch em w/o puppy gettin scared=]

Godservant said...

Testing Testing Test Testing

amanda-hillyer said...

:) I think this passage is trying to tell you you shouldn't go around taking free things from people. It also tells about Sarahs death. :)

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!