FRIDAY, September 5th, 2008

Hey Everyone! Todays passage is the same passage that I preached on Wednesday night!! Hopefully you were listening on Wednesday and you are already somwehat familiar with the story here of Abraham and Isaac.


Genesis 22

1 Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!”And he said, “Here I am.”
2 Then He said, “Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.”
3 So Abraham rose early in the morning and saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son; and he split the wood for the burnt offering, and arose and went to the place of which God had told him.
4 Then on the third day Abraham lifted his eyes and saw the place afar off.
5 And Abraham said to his young men, “Stay here with the donkey; the lad[a] and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you.”
6 So Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife, and the two of them went together.
7 But Isaac spoke to Abraham his father and said, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” Then he said, “Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?”
8 And Abraham said, “My son, God will provide for Himself the lamb for a burnt offering.” So the two of them went together.
9 Then they came to the place of which God had told him. And Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order; and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood.
10 And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.
11 But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” So he said, “Here I am.”
12 And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”
13 Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked, and there behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son.
14 And Abraham called the name of the place, The-LORD-Will-Provide; as it is said to this day, “In the Mount of the LORD it shall be provided.”
15 Then the Angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time out of heaven,
16 and said: “By Myself I have sworn, says the LORD, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son—
17 blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies.
18 In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.”
19 So Abraham returned to his young men, and they rose and went together to Beersheba; and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba.

The Family of Nahor
20 Now it came to pass after these things that it was told Abraham, saying, “Indeed Milcah also has borne children to your brother Nahor:
21 Huz his firstborn, Buz his brother, Kemuel the father of Aram,
22 Chesed, Hazo, Pildash, Jidlaph, and Bethuel.”
23 And Bethuel begot Rebekah. These eight Milcah bore to Nahor, Abraham’s brother.
24 His concubine, whose name was Reumah, also bore Tebah, Gaham, Thahash, and Maachah.

Wow! Do you like to take tests? I do not. Many of you have already taken tests even this week, maybe even today. Well, in this passage God gave Ambraham a test! The test was this: Give up your son as a sacrifice to me.

What!!! God you want me to take my son, MY ONLY SON, and offer him as a burnt offering. I hope that the same thing is never asked of me... I am scared to think if I would respond like Abraham or not.

What a hard thing to do... Be willing to obey God even to the point of the Death of your SON!!! It is clear Abraham really loved God.

Think about this: something I did not even mention on Wednesday night: Do you know anyone else that gave their only son to die, in a way that proved their love?

How about John 3:16, For God so loved the world, that He gave his only beggotten son. That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have ever lasting life.

Abraham and Isaac were such a beautiful picture of God and Jesus Christ. we say it is obvious how much Abraham loved God because He was willing to give up his son... well think about how much God loves you. He was willing to give up his perfect son, to die on a cross, for you.

Well, there is one other point in this passage that I want to mention. Abraham said to his servants: Me and the boy shall return. HOW DID ABRAHAM KNOW THAT GOD WOULD LET ISAAC LIVE? Because God had given Abraham a promise, and Abraham believed it.

God has promised so much to you and I as well, but you will not know the promises if you are not listeneningto Gods voice through the reading of his word. God spoke to Abraham audibly and he speaks to us through his word... Will you agree with me when I remind you how important it it for us to be in God's Word...

If we aren't then we will not know God's promises and that will make it harder to trust Him, because we don't know what He has told us.


I am up in Jacksonville right now. Having a great time! I hope that you are all doing wonderful down there in Port Charlotte. I will be home tomorrow! See you in church on Sunday!

24 comments:

Robert J Bellis-Nottingham said...

I think that is amazing, but cause it also shows that God doesnt' ask us to do anything that he hasn't already done, or is willing to do.

That's what a good leader is about...
And I'm thankful we have the greatest leader we could have.

I don't know if I could give my only son, I don't have a son so i'm not sure how I would feel, but I do have a daughter, and in a way I sorta know what it's like to give her up and show trust..

But not so much infact that she would have her life taken and I would never ever see her again, I couldn't imagine that..

I would have to say that would be really really really really hard, I couldn't imagine how God felt when he gave his only son, or Abraham felt when he almost gave his only son.

Those are some hard tests, tests I would be thankful to never have to go through.

-Rob

Anonymous said...

Giving up someone you love to God, that is what you call a hard decision. It really comes down to who you love more, God, or your family member. I try not to think about it. But we do see that Abraham loved God more than anything in his life, and just like Pastor Lee said, God sent the Son He loved down to die for us.

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

man that would be the hardest thing for a father to do!! give his own son as a sacrifice!!!!!!!!!! what faith huh?!?!?!?!

i think that abraham displays amazing faith in this passage to th point of giving his own son as a sacrifice.

and whats cool right about he is about to strike his son with the knife, god sends a ram from the bushes!!

god is amazing!!

p.s. PASTOR LEE!! LAST NIGHT WE PLAYED CHARLOTTE AND WE WERE UP BY 11 WITH 6 MINS TO PLAY!! but... they got 2 lucky plays and with 1.4 seconds to go they completed a 25 yard touchdown pass to win... but i threw 2 touchdown passes... the score was.

Lemon bay Charlotte
26 27

we got robbed...

Anonymous said...

Pastor Lee, I typed something on your, "relaxing in Jacksonville" thing and when I'm done, It doesn't have the Name/URL thing so... Oh! maybe for now I will just copy and paste it on here until someone teaches me how to fix it. Ahhhh!!! It won't let me copy and paste it on here!!! I hate stupid computers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wait never mind. I just didn't highlight the paragraph.

Hey Pastor Lee, I was bored at home and decided to click at random things at the devotional homepage and here I am. If you read what I wrote yesterday on the devotional I said I had to witness to an athiest and a satanist at the same time. Based on that little experience I had with them, may I tell everyone in sunday school some advice to witnessing for Christ?

Anonymous said...

i think the biggest lesson you can lear from this paassage is that god onnnly give you what you can take and nothing that and human can do will change gods plan for us.He is the almighty god and he knows exactly how everything and anythiing will turn out in a situation.sadly i don tknoow if god asked me to do what abraham had done that i would be so quick to comply.that shows me hoow much room there is for improvement twards becoming a better christian.i have also been reading alot in my bible on my own and i have been noticing that the more i thinkk i am getting to know god the more i am proven that i really dont knooow much.this passage spoke to my heart in alot of ways and if i typed all of them out it would take me centuries.i also thiinnk it is very funny that i have a hard time finding anythiing to write in my creatiev writing class but when it come to expressing things i can improve onn in my christian life and things i do that are wrong i could write forever....whoo would have thunk it?/ haha

Bethany B. said...

hey im making up for yesterday too!

thursday,
anyway it looks like Abram is getting himself into alot of mixups like not trusting God but we see in the next passage that he does trust God!

Today,
first of all I think God really puts a test on Abram asking him to give up his son so suddenly. Abram shoes his humility by obeying God right away and heads for the Mountain where Isacc is to be killed by own father. He prays to God to save Isacc and of course God does, God was just testing Abram. Instead God tells them to get the finest sheep and sacrifice that instead!

I think its amazing that Isaac was just as willing to give up his life for God then his dad. They were both willing but not happy. I know i would not be happy about that.

i think this is the right story!lol.

Anonymous said...

Wow giving up a fafmily member to prove your love, that would be the hardest decision for me to make if God put something like that in my life.
but you can tell Abraham really trusted God withe everything he did.
i don 't even think he gave it a second thought, i think God told him what to do and the next moring he did it. that is amazing, to trust God so much and have so much faith! I defiently need to be more like that. i mean if i were in his shoes, you know i don't have a clue what i would do

Rachel☺; said...

Aw darn.
I already talked about this on wednesdays or thursdays devotions...
i cant think of much new to say that i already havent so just go back and read that if you want to read my original thoughts.
I should show love to God by trusting him and believing what He promises to me, and obeying His plans.

Rachel☺; said...

OH; and Ryan hasnt been on cause of swimming... :/

RYAN said...

hey Pastor Lee. i no i havnt been on in 3 days and i promise promise promise i will make them all up tommorrow. you cant even believe how tired and worn out i am. i had a swim meet yestrday and i could barely get out of the pool. then i had homework till 11:40. i had to wake up today at 5:00 and go to swim practice then i went to school. i fell asleep in all of my classes and i ave another swim eet tommorrow. but i promis i will be on here tommorrow and i will do them all. Goin to bed. night.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Hope your having a great time in Jacksonville Pastor Lee! Charlotte WON the football game! WooHoo! So Pretty much this passage is just a test (as Pastor Lee put it) for Abraham to see if he would trust and OBEY God! That would be the hardest test for anyone to attempt to take! But the good news is that he passed and obeyed God even though he didn't know why God wanted him to do this! I dont know what my reaction would be if God asked me to do that! It would be tough but I love God more than anything just like Abraham showed that he did! TRUST, OBEY, and BELIEVE that God will help you and be there for you in your hardest and toughest times!!! Well im tired so im goin to bed now! C-yall Sunday! bye

Anonymous said...

Ok so Abraham had so much faith who go and kill there son i wold never do it i dont care who would tell me i dont think i could and ui think the ram was a sign that God is always there he will always be on your side even if its not clear and listen to this song by Avalon called You Were There Pastor Lree this will be your new Orphans Of God http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutVz94Uhcs ihn the song tsome of the lyrics are So there he stood upon that hill
Abraham with knife in hand was poised to kill
But God in all his sovereignty had bigger plans
And just in time, You brought a lamb

Anonymous said...

Ok so Abraham had so much faith who go and kill there son I would never do it I don’t care who would tell me I don’t think I could and I think the ram was a sign that God is always there he will always be on your side even if its not clear and listen to this song by Avalon called You Were There Pastor Lee this will be your new Orphans Of God http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutVz94Uhcs in the song some of the lyrics are So there he stood upon that hill
Abraham with knife in hand was poised to kill
But God in all his sovereignty had bigger plans
And just in time, You brought a lamb
P.S Fixed Version sry

Kacey! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kacey! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kacey! said...

Wow, I would love to think that I would do the same thing as Abraham, but in reality, I don't think I could do that. There is one thing I'm confused about: isn't killing someone disobeying the ten commandments? Or is there an exception if God tells you to do it. Even though God stopped Abraham. Nevermind, God never intended Abraham to actually do it. Ok, I think I got it now. So I need to put God before everything in my live! Even my own son (when and if I have one.) He knows everything and He wouldn't do anything to hurt me. So obeying God no matter what it is, that's one thing I can work on.

Jessica M said...

This is an amazing story! I sit here and think, why would God even use this situation as a test for Abraham. I know I know....it was all in the plan, but when you are first reading it, it just boggles my mind. But what I thought to very interesting as well was how Abraham just automatically obeyed with no indication of not knowing what God was planning. It would be interesting to know what it was that was going throught Abraham's mind at this point. I am just soooo happy that God decided to let Issac live! lol. I know that was the plan from the beginning but it gets me everytime I read it. Another thing was the faith that Abraham had in God was so immmense that I can't even try to comprhend what I might have done if I was in Abraham's shoes. That is why I need to stay faithful in this devos every single day because then I can learn more about the character of God and ho HE works. All I know is that God does have a plan for me even though at times it doesn't even seem like God knows I exist. But ultimatley I know HE does and only wants what's best for me! :)

Amy :) said...

Pastor Lee i made up thursday's.

I love this passage, Because God is kinda testing Abrams faith and trust to God. Its kinda weird that God tells him to go put his son on an alter and sacrifice his son! I would be so scared to do that. But Abram trusted God and went to the mountain and tied his son up and was about to his son and God pulled the knife away! At that point if I was Abram I would probably be mad at God a little because He told me to sacrifice my son and it took like 3 days and and then I never sacrifice my son!! But God had a perfect plan for Isaac's life. God has a perfect plan for your life! Just trust God with everything and don't give up on God.

Anonymous said...

TODAY IS SATURDAY!!!WHERE IS PASTOR LEEEEEE???????????????????

Anonymous said...

...wow i feel like a loser...my computer is sooo slow.hahaha my bad. hadnt seen saturdays post because my computer didnt feel like showing to me...i think ill go do it now.=)

aicirt said...

The trust revealed in this story is mind-blowing. I can't even comprehend the love Abraham had for his son and the love Isaac had for Abraham. Isaac trusted God as well as his father that a sacrifice would be provided and let Abraham do what he needed to for God. This is an almost perfect picture of God and Jesus. A sacrifice had to be given and The One and Only Son of God was the sacrifice for us, for our sins!

RYAN said...

Wow talk about love Abraham loves god. when god told abraham to go kill his son and offer it to him as an offering abraham just immediatley did it. abraham didnt ask questions or be like. well are you sure God... so abraham took his son to the mountain and he was about to kill his son then he was told to stop. abraham new that he wouldnt have to kill his son for god hath told him that he was going to leed many nations and make his covenate with Isaac. it is so true when people say GOD WILL PROVIDE.....

amanda-hillyer said...

:)this was a test for abraham to see if he would kill his son just for god nd e was going to kill him. god wants us all to love him bt he wats you to love your family and freinds just as much. :)

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!