WEDNESDAY, July 23rd, 2008

Tonight is Youth Group! Make sure that you are going to be there! We will be doing some fun stuff and we will be giving you some new announcements! I am excited!

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Jessica Massey: HAPPY 17th BIRTHDAY!!!! YOU ARE GETTING SO OLD!! :) We had fun yesterday! What happened to you and Jon on the blog yesterday??
In Case Your Wondering: I Love That Song! I will check into us doing it!
Bethany: How was volley ball yesterday? Did you get to go last night? Have you talked to your Mom yet??
Cary: Sorry about the ipod man!! I would cry! SERIOUSLY! I would be devastated without all of my audio books and my podcasts!!
Jeff: Good Devotions Man!
Josh L: I read your comment wrong: I thought you said: "I am going to soak my parents in their hot tub". It kind of freaked me out! :)
Lucy: I Love you "SUMMIT PLUMMIT" Illustration!!
Tyler: Way to show compassion on the girls!! (suck up!) :)
Jessica: Thank you for being faithful!
Alex: If you miss one more time this week then I am going to post your comments on Sunday night over again for you to read! Love Ya!
Mallory: Yesterday was fun! Have fun on your trip! Hurry back so we can go to the wilds!! :)
Kacey: We miss you! I hope you are having a great time! When will you be home?

John 16:

25 “These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father.
26 In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you;
27 for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God.
28 I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father.
29 His disciples said to Him, “See, now You are speaking plainly, and using no figure of speech!
30 Now we are sure that You know all things, and have no need that anyone should question You. By this we believe that You came forth from God.”
31 Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe?
32 Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.
33 These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

This is great! Christ is explaining to the disciples that many of the things that He has been explaining to them was explained figuratively instead of literally. That is exactly what He does in verse 28. Jesus no longer tells them, "I am going away, where you cannot come". He tells them exactly what He will be doing. Jesus says in 28, I was with the Father before I came to earth, and I am about to go back to the father.
How much clearer can it get??

FINALLY! They seem to get it! They said, oh! Now that you told us literally what you were talking about, we understand and we believe.

Verse 33 is my favorite verse of this passage! It is INCREDIBLE!

While we are living in this world we will face tribulation. We will go through hard and difficult times, times of testing, times of discouragement, times of heartache, times of sadness, BUT!!!

Christ Tells Us To... BE OF GOOD CHEER?!??!?!?!?!

We are supposed to be happy through tribulation?? YES! Because we know that no matter what happens: Christ has overcome the world!

We can have joy and be cheerful in spite of our circumstances because Jesus Has OVERCOME THE WORLD!!!


26 comments:

Anonymous said...

woot woot first!

See i KNEW all he had 2 do was stop talkin all shakespearean on these guys & they'd understand!!!

ok so i get that now these guys undertand who he is COMPLETLY &what he's talkin about...

Jesus is tellin em that they're soon gonna scatter cuz his time is coming(hense the no figure of speach)

So Christ is soon gonna die & rise again to be w/his father

Anonymous said...

wow thatw as short but thats all i really got out of it

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

I JUST MADE A FACEBOOK!!

ITS PRETTY COOL, BUT I NEED FRIENDS!!!! SEARCH "CARY GRIMMETT" AND ILL COME UP :D

i didnt really understand this passage a lot, but ill say what i got out of it.

like brook said, jesus kinda puts it in a way that the disciples can understand! they finally understood what he meant by "he is going to a place where you cannot go" and then christ kinda tells them in a way that the time for them to spread is coming because he is about to die on the cross.

thats about all i could understand

PEACE

Anonymous said...

what i got from this passage was that Jesus was explaining to his disciples that he was to return to the Father and that when he letf they wouldnt be binded by Jesus' discipleship and would lead their own lives. also after Jesus left the world would expirience alot of sorrow.when Jesus said that he didnt have a figure of speech and the disciples said that noone could question his knowledge.

also, i did indeed go to volleyball last night and it was very fun...we also go on thursday nights at eight if anyone is interested!and last but not least tonight is the night i am expecting an answer from my mom about whether i can go to the wilds...so far she sounds persuaded but she has to see if she can get my baby sister into daycare 2 extra days during that week and we will be good to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!see you all @ youth group tonite!=)

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

bethany do u have a facebook?

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

can we bring cell phones to the wilds?

Anonymous said...

HOLA PEOPLE!!!
what I got out of this passage is thisi passage is that when Jesus is talking to them figurative they get confused, but once he tells them literally they understand it!
then at the end he is saying for us to be a good cheer because he has overcome the world!

Anonymous said...

Cary, I sent you a friend request on facebook

Phil said...

oh no my ears bleeding how did this happen?!?! oh jeez brb... ok i've got a paper towel now! how do things like this happen?! ok so anyway

This passage talks about how the disciples finally say to jesus oh now we know that you everything and that they know he doesn't need to be questioned by mere mortals then it says at the end to be happy because jesus has overcome the world!!!!!

hasta luego

Phil said...

CARY GRIMMET I can't find you oh it's because I put one t lol whoops my b

LOOK ME UP TOO SEARCH PHILLIP CARPENTER AND YOU'LL FIND ME lol

Phil said...

how do I find you lucy?

Anonymous said...

nah cary i dont have a face book im nto much of a computer person

aicirt said...

I like the last verse: In Me you will have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.

In Christ we will have peace, In the world we will have chaos...But be glad becuase Christ has overcome the chaos, the world, with His peace, that passes all understanding.

And how the world is filled with sorrow and chaos, but when we are saved, we can be filled with the Holy Spirit and with that the peace of God. Through Christ, we can make it in this world of sin!

aicirt said...

Pastor Lee, did you try to call me at 11:53 am??

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

IT DOSENT SAY EITHER OF YOU DID, PHILLIP AND LUCY. IT DOSENT SAY U SENT ME A FRIND RQUST

Rachel☺; said...

haha, so apparently im not the only person who needs Jesus to speak normal to understand; The disciples were a little airy too (:
So with that comfort...
the middle part of this passage is Jesus just confirmimg that yes, he was being literal and that they should be undertsanding now.
Then, Jesus leaves them with verse 33 which probably made them feel so much better cause it seems to even make me feel better now; that He has overcome the world, and because He has, we can make it with His help. (:
See yall at church ((:

Aznricerunr[PN] said...

Sweet youth group tonight cant wait and me and brian flipped for about 3 hours today i was cool we learned new moves like backhandspring to backtuck and other moves. Brizzle is making a video of us so you shall see it soon!

Jesus says that he will just go plain out and tell the disciples whats going to happen and about his father. The disciples were guessing and guessing so Jesus just told them! He says that the father has sent him and he will return to the father. Haha his disciples are like oh now I got what hes saying lol thats funny. Jesus said that its almost time for him to leave and when he does go and spread my word and act as I did when I walked the earth

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JESSICA M. Hope it was exciting!

Mrs. W.

Tylermon33 said...

Jesus starts out by saying that He was speaking figuratively and that He wont do that any more and that He will just tell them what He means. then He says that He is going back to see God His Father, which is were He was before He came down to earth, and that they will come later on. then the disciples finally get it and tell Him since He is not speaking figuratively they know what He is saying and believe in Him. also He says that His disciples will scatter when He is gone but Jesus wont be alone because He will be with God. finally He says that He said all this so that they could have peace and be prepared for tribulation because Jesus has overcome the world. so we need to listen to Jesus because He knows everything, and also so He can prepare us for what will happen later on and give us peace.



kervin you need to come to the wilds because it is going to be the best week of your life and because i need a roommate.

Kacey! said...

Um, I already posted on the prayer blog, (:

I love verse number 33: These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. I promise you, that verse has gotten me through so many things! That screams 'Life verse when struggling!!!' It's so nice to know that we don't need to worry because God has overcome the world. Seriously I couldn't imagine life without a relationship with God! I just wish that my non-saved friends and family would listen to me when I try to witness!

HADOKEN!!! said...

Finaly my internet is working! So before it dies again...

In this passage Jesus is explaining yet again to the deciples all these things he has been telling them. This time he straight up says before I was here I was in Heaven with God. Finaly the deciples had their lightbulb moment *ding* ohhhhh! I got it. He tells us about the tribulations that we are going to go through and that we must keep our chins up because Christ is with us.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

WOW we had a VERY LONG trip today. (12 AND A HALF HOURS IN THE CAR) There was a storm and hail too I got scared but we were safe. The mountains are beautiful also!!!Cant wait because when i get back i get to have another LONG trip to the WILDS!!!yea!!!anyways...the devo's!!!

In verse 33 I am able to understand that even through the hardest times in life God tells us to be happy because He has overcome the world. This passage was hard for me to understand at first but after reading it a few times this is what I got out of it.

I will see you guys soon! bye

Anonymous said...

This passage is so incredible encouraging! We can have the confidence that Christ, Jesus will return. How amazing! The next verse is actually one that I claimed in high school. I love it- it says that we need to have courage while going through tribulation. Not only has Christ overcome that tribulation, but He has overcome anything that we can face! It is so encouraging, because we know that when He was here on earth, He went through so many difficult things and He can relate to us totally! We serve an awesome God who has already overcome, and will continue to show Himself real to us, as we draw near to Him. WOW!

Anonymous said...

okay so in todays passage jesus tells the deciples how it is.he says : I came forth from the Father and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world and go to the Father.”so that is pretty strait forward dont you think?!?!?!? and then jesus says that the time is comeing that the deciples will be seperated and leave jesus alone but what he says next is awesome he says that he will not be alone because the father is with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow the father is always with us that is a little comforting.

weird high school kid said...

WOW no parables, no beating around the bush, no figures of speach just striaght forward hey this is whats going down and this is what you need to do. Why can't jesus talk this way throughout the whole bible to make it less confusing for the rest of us. Oh well its the deciphering and the analyzing that makes reading the bible so fun. Not only that but it helps you for normal life and especially school when you read such confusing and yet fun books. Wow I got sidetracked just then, so Jesus says how he will be going to heaven and that the disciples should be going throughout the world and spreading the gospel. Then the disciples go OH MY DEPRAVITY Jesus isn't talking in parables or in figures of speech so now we definately know that you are the christ and we now believe. So then jesus goes wait so since I talked straight forward that made you believe??? LOL Jesus is so funny so then he says how his hour has come and that he shall be leaving shortly just like I am about to from this devotional page. Oh well Bontakun signing out

BYE-BEE

Amy :) said...

be happy is what this is basically saying. be happy and enjoy life. like jesus He overcomed the world through being perfect and being hung on the cross He just overcomed everything in life.sometimes in life u just want to give up and say nah maybe later and never do it ( like doing your devotions). but we have to be happy and get over it cause this is life and there r things in life that we dont like so be happy.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!