WEDNESDAY, February 18th, 2009

Hey Everyone! Good to see you on the devos yesterday! We are going to have an INCREDIBLE NIGHT TONIGHT AND NEXT WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!! I AM SO EXCITED MAKE SURE YOU ATTEND!!

Ok, onto the devotions!

(by the way mcCue, I am excited about recipies thank you... in fact, I am eating my own homeade butterscotch oatmeal cookies right now, and I bought chocolate chips to make some secret recepie chocolate chip cookies!!!!!!! :)

Ok, II Peter 1:12-21

12 For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth.
13 Yes, I think it is right, as long as I am in this taberbacle, to stir you up by reminding you,
14 knowing that shortly I must put off my tabernacle, just as our Lord Jesus Christ showed me.
15 Moreover I will be careful to ensure that you always have a reminder of these things after my decease.

The Trustworthy Prophetic Word
16 For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts;
20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,
21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

I LOVE PETER!! This guy is so great, he explains, Hey, you need to remember the truths of Gods word... I am going to die, and when I do you will have to remember on your own, so while I am alive I am going to PUSH YOU AND PUSH YOU AND PUSH YOU TO REMEMBER THE LORD!!!! (when he is talking about "putting off the tabernacle" he is talking about his body dying: Remeber our body is the temple or the tabernacle of the Lord)

So, Peter is passionate about using every breath even to his last dying breath to share the message of Christ!! Are we that passionate? Do we share Christ and then quickly give up? Peter did not give up!

Why was Peter so passionate, because he didnt just hear made up stories about Jesus (cunningly devised fables) HE EXPERIENCED JESUS!!!! He talked with him and listned to Him and hugged him and knew him!!! He was so passionate about Jesus because He had been face to face with his Amazing Savior!

Are you passionate about Jesus? Maybe I am not as passionate about my savior because I do not know Him as well as Peter did!! I need to get to know my savior even more!

3 comments:

McCue said...

There's another important little bit about this passage, Peter makes sure that everyone knows who reads that this IS FACT. Everything said about Jesus, everything said by the apostles was an eyewitness account or a testimony inspired by the Holy Spirit. Now to a nonbeliever this might not mean much. However, when nonbelievers attack using the argument that Christians follow blind faith we can easily retort that nothing we believe is based on blind faith. We believe in our heart which concurs with our mind because when weighing any evidence, historical, biblical or otherwise no one can disprove the validity of Jesus or of his apostles. Peter here reminds us in verse 16 "For we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were the EYEWITNESSES of His Majesty." This says a lot to me. So often even Christians will disregard scientific, or historical evidence that completely validates the bible and instead of "arguing" with a nonbeliever who is on the assertive some Christians will yield and say that faith is the justification for their belief. I cannot take that stance. I believe all Christians are required to intellectually determine whether Christianity has merit or not and based on evidence that demands a verdict, it does. I love Peter too.
Such a practical guy. Hey Lee is it cool if I get some friends from another church to blog on this? It's be sweet.

Godservant said...

Hey Pastor Lee, why is it that like 90 percent of the bible characters seem like they are perfect when it comes to serving and sacraficing for God? Actually thats a dumb question, since they all have seen or experienced God phisically, just like you said on your comment. But I know they AREN'T PERFECT, so why doesn't seem that way? Just so God can show us some of His top 100 servants in history for us to look up too and be like?

HADOKEN!!! said...

I was a little confused by this passage but this is what I got out of it.
The Bible is written by men that were being lead by the will of God. So we must take these teachings in their most raw and literal forms. We shouldn't go and try to interpret the bible in ways that we want it to be. for example we shouldn't think "oh the bible says dont steal but it really won't be sin if I steal for a hungry kid." NO! stealing is stealing and thats that.

also to godservants comment i don't think that the bible really portrays them as perfect i mean look at paul(i think thats the right name). Before he did all his good he killed a ton of christians. We just don't remember those men for their evil deeds because they became such godly men.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!