WEDNESDAY, August 13th, 2008

Hello Everyone! See You In Church TONIGHT!!!!!!

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Jake: Don't forget to tell us how the passage applies to you! :)
Kacey: I am glad you are on here! I am praying for your Dad! Call me and tell me how he is doing... or just tell me at church tonight!
Jeff: Thanks for being faithful in your devotions! I will bring your charger tonight!
Michael: I Love That Movie! In Fact! We should all get together and watch it at church whenever we finish Jonah!! That would be fun!
Lucy: YOUR BACK!!!!! YEAH! We missed you Sunday!
Bethany: Are you coming to church tonight? What is up with the "one sentance" :) J/K!!
Rachel: yes, you beat me! It was a late night with Will!!!!
Amanda: Those are wise words... the Bible teaches us that whenever we hang out with the wicked, then we become wicked. Most of the time, we must choose to find new friends, instead of letting the bad ones pull us down. :) See you tonight!
Mallory: I AM SO THANKFUL FOR YOU AND YOUR INVOLVEMENT!!! Great job on the devos! See you tonight?
Ryan: That is interesting that many people could not swim back then... I believe it!
Jon: Do you like sea food? My wife HATES it! I like it!

Lets Continue With this great story of Jonah

Jonah 2:1-10

1 Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the fish’s belly.
2 And he said: “ I cried out to the LORD because of my affliction, And He answered me. “ Out of the belly of Sheol I cried, And You heard my voice.
3 For You cast me into the deep, Into the heart of the seas, And the floods surrounded me; All Your billows and Your waves passed over me.
4 Then I said, ‘I have been cast out of Your sight; Yet I will look again toward Your holy temple.’
5 The waters surrounded me, even to my soul; The deep closed around me; Weeds were wrapped around my head.
6 I went down to the moorings of the mountains; The earth with its bars closed behind me forever; Yet You have brought up my life from the pit, O LORD, my God.
7 When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD; And my prayer went up to You, Into Your holy temple.
8 Those who regard worthless idols Forsake their own Mercy.
9 But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay what I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.”
10 So the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.

This passage is wonderful! We know from yesterdays passage that Jonah was cast out of the boat and swallowed by a whale. We also know that Jonah was in this whale for three days. At some point during that time Jonah woke up from being unconcience and He prayed the prayer written in this chapter.

To help you understand his prayer, I bolded some of the most profound statements, and I colored one phrase orange. Lets go through this prayer and understand what Jonah was talking about.

Verse 1 teels us, THEN Jonah prayed to God from the fishes belly. What is God going to have to do in your life and my life before we will turn to Him? Would we have to write... "and Pastor Lee went through the horrible consequences, and THEN he Prayed. Maybe we should just turn to God before He turns on His righeous judgments!

Then from verses 2-9 we see a wonderful prayer of Repentance:

First Jonah says: When I cried, God listened. What a wonderful truth to know that whenever we cry out to God He will listen to us too!
Jonah acknowledges that he is in this horrible situation because of the consequences of his sin.
In verse 4 we see that Jonah acknowledges that he has been cast out of the sight of God because of his sin. Our God is holy and can not take part in sin, when we are full of sin, we no longer have true fellowship with Him.

Verse 8 is INCREDIBLE!!! Think about this... Jonah is saying that those who worship idols are basically throwing away the mercy that God wants to give them... We do not worship statues, but we worship many other things in our life.. when we put things before God in our lives they become idols...

Do you put things before your devotions? Do you put things before church? If you do, then you are throwing away the mercy that God wants to pour on you. That is such a powerful verse!!!

In verse 9 Jonah says: Salvation is of the Lord!!!!!!
We know that to be true, for He has given us Salvation!!!

And God gave Jonah salvation as well, God told that Whale to "throw up" Jonah!! Wow! That is what God thinnks of Sin... It makes Him want to throw up!! :) Just like all the teens on the way to camp! :)

There are so many lessons on here! Make sure that you come one tomorrow! I am going to show you some really cool stuff about Jonah!! :)

Love you all! See you in church tonight!!

Pastor Lee

19 comments:

Rachel☺; said...

Wow, JonaH was pretty much fish food to God when he went against His ways and then when JonaH asked for forgiveness, he was fish vomit.
I dont want to ever have to sit in a fish and then come out as barf, or anything like that.

So, here we see that we shouldnt wait until God has to do something awful to get our attention, but to do as He tells us right when He tells us!
Welll im not very good at that, but the passage is saying that i need to. Pleasing God is better than pleasing myself, and trusting that whatever He wants me to do will be for its best, i can do it.

Anonymous said...

I actually never knew that putting something before God was actually worshipping idols. I just thought worshipping Allah or a false god is worshipping idols.

Anonymous said...

All this happened to Jonah because he wouldn't follow Gods will. This whole story gives a very powerful message because God ordered Jonah to go and witness to people that He didn't want to. I think it means that God wants as many people as possible to be go to heaven and if your not doing as your told He'll find a way to change that. As in Joesphs life Jonah went through a tough time(for Jonah it was out of ignorance), but God had done it for good.

Gaby said...

heyy there sorry i havent been doing my devos i dont want everyone to think i just do it for the rewards trip, i've been sick n super stressed with school work.

anywho,,
I think this is the best part of the jonah story because god displays his amazing grace and mercy. Jonah completely ignored god and tried to run his life his way, like most of us try to do. God's anger was released but god also relieved jonah from his consequences and allowed him to be freed from the whales belly. =]

app: this reminds me that you CAN cry out to god when it seems like he has left you or deserted you and he WILL hear you. I need to learn to take my issues to god and let him take care of them for me.

Tylermon33 said...

this starts out by jonah being in the belly of a huge fish and when he realises what he has done in not listening to God, he prays and says that God still hears him even when he has done bad things. he also tells him everything bad that has happened to him so far on this journey. then he goes into detail everything that is happening to him in while he is in the fishes belly. then he goes on to say those that worship idols are pretty much throwing away the mercy that God has given them (wich is so true). after that the Lord told the fish to spit out jonah and jonah was spat out of the fish. so first of all we need to listen to God so something bad like being swallowed by a fish wont happen to us. also we shouldn't worship other idols like tv, video games, or sports because that just takes us farther away from God and it takes away God's mercy from us because we are getting far away from Him. so we should just listen to God so nothing bad happens to us even when times are hard and it seems tough. God is with us and anything is possible with God.


hey i just wanted to tell you that i did my devos. for monday and that there is like no one on the devos. today...wow.

Anonymous said...

If Jonah never went against gods will he would have never been eaten i wonder if he realized that. Once he went to god he was spit out and i think thatsome people would not turn towards god. They would get put in there to learn a lesson and never come back.

Anonymous said...

Geez where is everybody!!!!
So this is a good story and I must defiantly want to see the veggie tales version.
This passage is amazing because it simply answers the question that GOD DOES ANSWER PRAYERS!!!
even though he got swallowed by a fish he still believed in God!! Amazing.. if it were me I would probably not be thinking about God at all i would be thinkink of ways to got out but i probably wouldn't without God.

Bethany B. said...

WOW, God really speaks to me through this passage! Its like Jonah was in the worst of times until God had his plan for him to still serve him on Earth but at the same time Jonah learned his lesson!

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

this is like the prime of the story of jonah! he got swallowed by a whale!!!!!!!! (big fish :o

anyway this is another display of gods amazing grace.

i think that it would be cool to know that whatever god has planned for you that it wat he wants you to do with your life.

and jonah didnt do that!

he did his own thing and didnt obey god and so god sent this oddly large fish to swallow him!

and then jonah prays and asks forgiveness from god and then the fish spits him out!!

eeeww!!


PEACE

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Hey everyone! Wow this passage is very power and meaningful! There is a lot of things to learn from this story. we see here that Jonah has been swallowed by a whale and is in there for 3 days and is then spit out by the whale after God had spoken to the whale. That is preety cool and we should learn a lesson from all this that we should obey God the 1st time even if its something we dont want to do!

well im sorry i wasnt there 2nite, we had to go pick my dad up in fort myers! got to go! see you all... bye!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow incredible Jonah has all of this and a whale jk. Jonah has a lot of faith now he has grown apart from God and he relized it and now he is praying for God to save him and i know that in the kind of situation i know i probably wouldnt be praying and i learned from this that i need to work on that so i am glad that this passage is on here.

Kacey! said...

When you asked the question 'Do you put things before your devotions?', that really convicted me! I was trying to get in the habit of doing them when I first got up so I could apply what I learned to my life that day. But today, I put it off until now, like 12:30 at night. Nothing is more important then spending time in God's word! We need to remember that, (:


Tonight's message was good, I just wish that some other people were there to here that.


Did you ever figure out when we were watching that movie?

Jessica M said...

>>>> I would just like to comment on that one verse that talks about when we have lost all hope we can look up to God for comfort.
In the midst of trouble and hard times we can have the confidence because of faith we have that HE will never forsake us.
I noticed that even in Jonah's deepest despair he turned to God in pray. That is something that I have truly learned.
At times I have felt that no good can come out of any situation and that doing the right thing will get you no where, BUT, I have faced things that I don't understand, but I jut need to remember that CHRIST IS MY REFUGE AND MY STRENGHTH IN EVERY THING THAT COMES MY WAY!...I JUST NEED HELP TO REMEMBER THAT!

Aznricerunr[PN] said...

ok sry i couldn't get on last night i went to aunt debbies and alot of the familia was there.

This is cool just like Joseph when his life just got worse and worse he turned to God the whole time and thats what Jonah did too. He was thrown into the sea and swallowed by a huge fish. Just think about how gross it would be in there. It would be dark, smelly, and I don't even want to think about what you would have to eat but through all of it Jonah prayed to God. it just goes to show that God will be there for you now matter what or where you are. He will never turn on you or ever lie to you. When your having a bad day just look up

Anonymous said...

again...gross w/the being in the whale 4 3days=[

we tend 2 do that alot(follow in Jonans footsteps)...become save, go our own way &when & ONLY when things go wrong do we pray2 him 4 help &hand him our problems...

im not gonna lie, ive been guilty of that a while ago...&i learned that's the wrong thing2do so i learned that lesson WAY before i read this...

dont worship idols or material things...put Christ 1ST!

aicirt said...

Jonah cried from the belly of the whale to God and God heard him, We should cry out to God for help in bad and good situations.

Jonah gave up and agreed to do what God wanted him to do. Like those people who want to know "why" to everything you ask them to do, We can't wait for God to lay down in detail His will for our lives, If He did, we might not want to go through the trials to bring us to God's way. We need to trust that God's way is perfect and just follow it, don't question The Truth!

Amy :) said...

You know what is really cool about this passage is that even in a giant fishes belly, Jonah prays to God even when Jonah has big problems but doesn't listen to God and runs away from Him.

That would be so weird to witness, like watch a giant fish vomit and then see a man come out! That would be disgusting! But meant it for good. God means everything for good even if your in a difficult situation.

Robert J Bellis-Nottingham said...

Wow, that is amazing, hard times are hard, and sometimes you think you dont have time to ask god for help, or you don't want to seem selfish, but god wants to help everyone, and if you pass up asking for his help, then you can't complain when he doesn't show you mercy, becuase if you turn your back on God, then how can you understand what he wants you to learn, or how can you grow in the way you need to?

Wow.
-Rob

weird high school kid said...

Wow its gross enough when someone pukes on you, but to actually be part of the puke and to be covered in it head to toe in nasty disgusting vomity nastyness. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

So pretty much Jonah had to pray to god when he was in trouble right after he just turned his back to god and tried to leave him and run away from him.

Lessons for today

1 we need to pray to god, not only during the hard times but in the good times as well.

2 If you don't want to be part of a large fish's vomit OBEY THE LORD!!!

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!