WEDNESDAY, July 30th, 2008

Wow. Where was everyone yesterday? It was such a great passage, and yet we had so few people do their devotions. That was disapointing! I hope that you are calling up your partners and reminding them to do their devotions.

Tonight is going to be a great night! Listen, if you are going to camp you DEFINITELY need to be in church tonight! I am going to give you a few last minute reminders about some things you will need to bring!

INFO ABOUT THE DEVOTIONS:
I want us to finish the book of John before we go to camp and that means that we have 3 chapters left in three days, so the next three days are going to be bigger chapters than normal, but I think it will be good for us. Take an extra few minutes and read through this longer passage. This does NOT mean that you need to describe EVERY verse, but pick out the most powerful verses that spoke to you throughout the passage. This will only be for a few days, then we will study some other great passages.

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Michael: That was so great yesterday! I really enjoy reading your thoughts about the passages we are studying!
Bethany: You are correct when you say it was good that Pilate did not believe Jesus did anything wrong, the problem with Pilate is that instead of doing what was right, He followed the crowd. Pretty interesting Huh!
Jessica M: Wow! It is so good to have you back on here! I must say, I missed you each day that you were not on! Hey really quick, let me explain my thoughts about the version we use. In college I had to write several different papers and do many different studies on the different texts. In my studies I found that the men who translated the greek text that would one day be the KJV and the NKJV were EXTREMELY precise and dedicated believers. However the men who translated the modern versions were named Wescott and Hort. These men were UNBELIEVERS and it seems that sometimes they were careless or even biased in their translations. In other words they would change the text to say what they wanted it to say... Now, I am definitely not going to tell you that there could never be anything better than the KJV. Personally I believe that our language has shifted drastically within the last 150 years. I also believe that because of this language shift many people (like you and many other young people) have a hard time studying through the KJV. That is why each day I take the time to explain each passage in more common words. But I dont want you to only take it from me: We will be going to some much easier passages after we finish the book of John. So please bear with me for a few more days in the book of John and then it will get easier.

Do this: Go study up on the subject and tell me what you find out, I am always up for a good, healthy, debate, and I always keep an open mind, If what I have learned is not the most accurate truth then I am willing to admit it.

I will also do some more research on the topic as well...
Rachel: Yes you could say it was a "majority rules thing" or like "everyone was following the crowd"!
Marvin: So did you remind Kervin? Or did you not tell Him because He never tells you??
Ryan: you are Right On! Jesus does love us!
John M: Be Triangle? I dont know what that means, but I know I don't want to be a triangle, SO I WILL BE THERE!!!
Tyler: Good stuff man! Are you ready for camp??

John 19

17 And He, bearing His cross, went out to a place called the Place of a Skull, which is called in Hebrew, Golgotha,
18 where they crucified Him, and two others with Him, one on either side, and Jesus in the center.
19 Now Pilate wrote a title and put it on the cross. And the writing was:
JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS.
20 Then many of the Jews read this title, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city; and it was written in Hebrew, Greek, and Latin.
21 Therefore the chief priests of the Jews said to Pilate, “Do not write, ‘The King of the Jews,’ but, ‘He said, “I am the King of the Jews.”’”
22 Pilate answered, “What I have written, I have written.”
23 Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took His garments and made four parts, to each soldier a part, and also the tunic. Now the tunic was without seam, woven from the top in one piece.
24 They said therefore among themselves, “Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be,” that the Scripture might be fulfilled which says: “ They divided My garments among them, And for My clothing they cast lots.”Therefore the soldiers did these things.

25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus His mother, and His mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.
26 When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son!”
27 Then He said to the disciple, “Behold your mother!” And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.

28 After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!”
29 Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth.
30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

Jesus’ Side Is Pierced
31 Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
32 Then the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and of the other who was crucified with Him.
33 But when they came to Jesus and saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs.
34 But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out.
35 And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you may believe.
36 For these things were done that the Scripture should be fulfilled, “Not one of His bones shall be broken.”
37 And again another Scripture says, “They shall look on Him whom they pierced.”

Jesus Buried in Joseph’s Tomb
38 After this, Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus; and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took the body of Jesus.
39 And Nicodemus, who at first came to Jesus by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds.
40 Then they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury.
41 Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid.
42 So there they laid Jesus, because of the Jews’ Preparation Day, for the tomb was nearby.

I don't know about you, but as I read this with an open mind and heart, I see so many new things that I have not seen before. I think it is so neat How even in His death Jesus cares for His mother and tells another disciple to take care of Her.

I think it is so great how over and over in this passage every detail went exactly as was propecied. Down to the detain of not breaking Jesus bones... To dividing and casting lots for Jesus' clothes. Jesus Christ knew what was going to happen at this moment because He was had told the writers of the old testament what to write down when the word of God was inspired.

It is interesting to read Johns account of the crucifixion... John was not concerned about the graphic details, John simply wanted us to know what happened and then get that part over with. I think I would have been the same way... I think it would have just made me mad to write about every detail about what happened on the cross!!

I think it is wonderful how Jospeh and Nicodemus went and bought a brand new tomb and they went and got the best wraps and spices to take care of Jesus body... Thre really cool part is that all of that wasnt really necessary because in just three short days, this body of Christ would no longer be dead.

I am so thankful that Christ was willing to be sacrificed for my sin. He knew what He was going to have to go through, and He said, I love each of you SO MUCH that I will do it anyway!! What a wonderful God we have! Like Ryan said yesterday: HE SURE DOES LOVE US!!!!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have read this passage many, many times; so today I decided to pay extra attention and try to learn new things from it. There were two major things that I noticed. The first one was about the sign they put over Jesus' head. They were really trying to humiliate Him by hanging that there! He could have right from the cross killed all those people that beat Him, spit at Him, and humiliated Him. He chose to do the plan of God and not focus on what He was going through. What a testimony. When we are going through tough things, we must focus on God's plan and not ourselves. The second thing ties into this- Christ was in agony on the cross, and yet He cared to take care of His mother. When we are going through hard times, we must put our focus on God's plan and on meeting the needs of others. This is the example Christ provided for us. Thank you Lord, for Your ultimate sacrifice!

McCue said...

Sweet so I was just thinking about a sermon pastor chip gave about how important the death and ressurection really is to us as christians. I remember we went through this passage around easter. Anyway so I agree with you pastor lee its amazing that even in death jesus is making sure his mother is taken care of. When I read this I get extra thing si never noticed before too. Like the prophecy of none of his bones being broken. Anyway great passage im excited for you all at the wilds.
Peace
-mccue-

Anonymous said...

It is not only amazing that He died for us, but wanted His diciples to take care of His mother for Him. I don't know about you, but, that is a son that really cares about His Mama.

Anonymous said...

I did not tell kervin because he's lazy and because he doesn't remind me. Well i never did tell him.

They were really trying to make him be laughed by putting that there.i can't beilieve they spit at him and people watched and laughed. Would they want to be laughed at and spited at. He chose to follow what God told him to do.

Anonymous said...

I thing it really really cool that God saw all the pain and suffering that He would have to go through and yet willingly does without and regret. As for me I would have regretted it if I did it because of the amount people that aren't saved in this world. That's why God has the title that He does "Superior to All" and I have mine "Not Superior to All". I know God sacrificed Himself for me and I am as grateful as can be even though my actions may not show it all the time.

Anonymous said...

wow, thru all the pasin he focused on wantin 2 make sure his mom was taken care of! i never even knew about the sign that they were talkin bout! So thats wicked new 2 me...& i had no idea that they bought the tomb 4 Christ...

question...y was mary Magdalene mentioned...wait shes jesus's mom sister!? cuz they way that verse 25 says it, that's what it sounds like...cuz if that were the case than all those loony disbelievers who say jesus & mary M had a "thing" are freako nuts cuz then it woulda ben his aunt...

anyways...i cant concentrate long enough 2 try 2 comprehend everything...i should probably stop stayin up til 4:00-4:30 in the mornin! i woulda done em earlier but me bro & dad went bowlin 10min after i woke up(just b4 11) & when we got back i started 2 finish spring cleanin my room, lost track of time, &so im JUST NOW doin devo's...well...i think ima gonna go 2 bed yall

Anonymous said...

sadly pastor lee...i think these long verses r scaring our youth group off...it's NINE FIFTYONE & only me& FIVE other ppl commented...summer made every1 LAZY!!!

Anonymous said...

Where is everyone?

Like Katie i have also read this passage many times, I also noticed some new things. I never noticed how the chief priest asked pilot to change what he wrote on the plaque. Pilot's response seems to me like he is annoyed by these people, and/or he has begun to realize what he had just allowed to happen. I also never took much notice how in Jesus few last thoughts and words he is concerned for his mother, not like he has anything else going through his mind. I am sure glad that our God loves us so much that he gave his only son, not just to die for us, but to die a sinners death. Like pastor Chip says, Imagine a pure bride in her white wedding dress and then dump the rottenness sewer you can find on her, that’s what we did to our Jesus, and he still loves us so.
have a good night, see yall later.

Amy :) said...

Wow its really long today that means its probably really important. If i was there while Jesus was getting crucified i would be like spitting at the people that were spitting @ Him. That would be sooooo sadd to watch i wonder what it was like for some of the disciples that where there. Jesus knew His whole entire life that He would be dieing on the cross for everybody's sins. He did it because if Jesus didnt die then He wouldnt of ever rose from the dead and conquered sin on the cross. and He wouldnt of ever saved the souls of many who r lost.

Jessica M said...

This is an amazing story and I have read it sooo many times. I tried to get more out of it than the last time I read it. Katie said a lot of the same things I was thinking as I was reading this.

I just am so thankful that Christ did this willingly.
There is not greater love than this; thaw HE should lay down HIS life. For someone such as me :)
I've spent what seems like a lifetime wondering how the beauty of heaven is here in my heart and I know now there can be no greater love than this. He knows my every breath and every step. It's amazing! I never understood how wonderful HE could be until I found HIS flame light every part of me. I have been saved so I will give every part of me. It’s the least I can do!

Jess

Anonymous said...

Ok im more comfortable with the drama because we went over it!!!!!!
Ok so first of all i have to say im SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOtHANKFUL THAT JESUS DIED for me because words cant explain what would happen with out him and i luv him sooooooo much and when they talk about piercing his sides and putting nails in his hands i cringe because i cant imagine what it would be like for Jesus who could fly off the cross how that must have felt for him thats like someone having an amazing talent and never using it.

Rachel☺; said...

ill make toady up tomorrow afternoon seeing as its really late and my cat puked all over my bedding :(
i have to wash it and stuff and kill this huge, like 2 inch roach bfore i can actually go to sleep sooo,
be back tomorrow!

Tylermon33 said...

this starts out by Jesus going to the cross and being crucified and there was a piece of wood on the cross which said "Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews". also we see how much compassion and love Jesus has for his mother, disciples, and us because He sees His mother and says here I am your son and He tells His disciples to watch over and take care of My mother. then He says that He is thirsty so they give Him old sour wine on a sponge and after they gave it to Him He said it was finished and died. so to make shure He was dead a guard stuck a spear in His side and out came blood and water. then after Jesus death Joseph got a tomb for Jesus and 100 pounds of fragerences to put on His body. so we see how much compassion is shown in these passages by Jesus talking about His mom and telling His disciples to watchout over her, and we see that Joseph got a tomb just for Jesus with 100 pounds of fragerences (wow thats a lot). also we need to be like that, we need to be more compassionate and loving towards other people even it is a little thing. i want to be compassionate and loving like Jesus.


hey no one has said anythig about my two cents lately so does anyone know who he or she is? and i am almost ready for the WILDS just a few little things left. its going to be so much fun.

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

I WOULDVE BEEN VERY ANGRY AND I DONT KNOW IF I WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO CONTROL MYSELF IF THEY DID TO ME WHAT THEY DID TO CHRIST!

AND I WOULDVE BEEN MORE MAD TO SEE THE GUARDS GAMBLE ON MY CLOTHES!!

BUT I THINK THAT ITS AMAZING HOW GOD CAN KEEP HIS COOL THRU ALL THIS AND STILL PRAY TO GOD AND ASK HIM TO FORGIVE THE PEOPLE FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Hey everyone! This passage is probably the one that makes me think the most and I have heard the most about. I KNOW that what Jesus did on the cross is the BEST thing that anyone could ever do for us!!! I am SOOOOO THANKFUL for what he did! HE died on the cross for our sins,HE knew how much HE would have to suffer and go through and the BEST part is HE did it because HE loved you and me so MUCH!(and thats why I love HIM!!!)

Im very excited about the WILDS and I hope it turns out to be a GREAT experience for everyone!!!

RYAN said...

Its amazing how eventhough he is on the cross in pain that is probably undiscribable he could think about looking after his mom. now that is a son who cares. i didnt understand the part about the clothes and garmets hopefully pastor lee can explain it to me. I never knew that when he was peirced it didnt break any bones.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!