FRIDAY, May 23rd, 2008

It is Friday!! How cool! Today is going to be such a great day! I have some cool plans for this weekend; how about you? My parents are coming in town tonight and my Sister will be in church Sunday night! So you should all be there on Sunday night to meet my sister and her husband and there kids.

AND... We are going to a party on Monday. Jonathan, is everyone invited to your party... (I would seriously consider it, becasue that means more presents!!) Plus it will be even more fun of other teens are there.

A Few Thoughts from Yesterday:
Amy: I like your illustration of being "delicious" Christians for Him! :)
That one Kid and That one Guy: Hey guys, I "the creator" of this thing, want to say: Thanks for checking us out online. I am glad that you have joined us on here. If I were you, I would probably not be too sure what all of this is about: so let me quickly explain: Each one of the teenagers on here are a part of Suncoast Youth Group. You can check us out at http://www.suncoastyouth.com/. We are a group of teenagers that believe in Jesus Christ, we believe the word of God (aka: The Bible) and we believe that as we study the Bible we become wiser and we learn more about ourselves and God. If you dont believe in Christ, then I understand why this may seem weird to you: But I promise, we are normal people just seeking to please our creator. So the point is: Feel free to give us a chance and come to youth group and hang out. We do all kinds of fun stuff and we definitely have LOTS of fun! We are a friendly group of teenagers that want to uplift and encourage others into a relationship with Christ. I hope that lets you know a little bit about what this blog is about! Thanks for visiting! By the way: Talk to Josh about coming sometime, I think it would be cool to meet you guys!
Ryan: We will miss you on Sunday man!! Have fun in the car for 8 hours!! Sorry man! That is rough!
Amanda: Glad your hair is normal, I thought I did permanent damage!
Alex: I loved your "Wine-ing" Joke! Ha! That was a pretty great application :)
Kacey: Hey Girl! I have missed you on here! I am glad you are back!
Rachel and Jessica M: Thanks for the encouraging words about the message last night! I am glad that it spoke to both of you! I am in the process of praying about a leadership team and I KNOW that both of you need to be a part of that group! Thats for being leaders even before there was a "leadership team". I am excited about what God is doing in our youth ministry!

John 2:13-22
13 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business.
15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables.
16 And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!”
17 Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up.”
18 So the Jews answered and said to Him, “What sign do You show to us, since You do these things?”
19 Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then the Jews said, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?”
21 But He was speaking of the temple of His body.
22 Therefore, when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

Another very cool story! So Jesus goes into Jerusalem and when He goes into the Temple he sees what the people have done inside the temple. They have turned it into a flea market! Are you kidding me? That is what Christ was thinging. This is the Temple of God and we are supposed to show respect for Gods temple. There are two applications: Our Body is the temple of God: We must also show respect and honor to the body that God has given us. The second application is that this was the temple: The place that everyone went to meet with the Lord. We call that "the church" today. We should also show respect in the church. WHAT ARE SOME WAYS THAT WE CAN SHOW RESPECT AT CHURCH?

Finally, we get to verse 19: Jesus tells the people, if you destroy this temple I will build in back in three days. WHAT? They said: It took us 46 YEARS to build this temple; and you think you can build it back up in three days!! But they were mistaken; Jesus was talking about the temple of his body. And the fact is that when he was crucified that "three days later" he arose from the grave. He fulfilled his promise as He said He would.

Very cool stuff! I am enjoying the book of John very much! Say faithful! Someone get a hold of everyone that you normally see who have not been on. Hold them accountable (with love) :)

Love you guys! See you Sunday!
PLEASE COME SUNDAY NIGHT! I WANT TO SHOW ALL OF YOU OFF TO MY SISTER! :)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a world like this one it is great to know that we can stand on and know that the Word of God is true and God will do what He says He will do.
Yes, Please come on Sunday Night! I would love to meet you all!!!
Pastor Lee's Sister

Anonymous said...

Sorry i would invite all of you guys to my party BUT my parents doesnt want a lot of people at the house.
I will do my devos later.

weird high school kid said...

Sweet we can all see Amanda again. Hey PL is she finally good at DDR again yet.

So jesus went to the temple and saw a bunch of poeple selling a bunch of crud. So seeing as how
the temple of his father was beeing used as a market instead of a place of worshihp. So jesus apparently made a whip and drove everyone out. So then he said to some dudes that were left to get everything out of his fathers house. So in disbelief they told jesus to prove who he is, and jesus responded saying hey if you deystroy this temple i will bring it back in just three days. Now even though the temple the merchants were thinking of was built in 46 years jesus was talking about his own body.

So i t hink a simple application for this is don't defile god's temple, and to be respectful to him. We can all show our respect to him by simply following his hundreds of commandments. Alright since none of us can really do that let us all just try our best and win people to the lord. Even inviting people to church would be a good start like how I'm gonna invite that one kid and that one guy as soon as i can figure out who they are, and seeing as how
I'm not a detctive like
"L" it might take some time.

Anonymous said...

Thinking about this passage really shocked me. Think about this. The guys who were in the temple were selling animals and things that the people were going to sacrifice. It was probably very easy to justify why they would be in the temple selling these things-even though in their head they could justify it, it was wrong. Think about this. What do we do in church that isn't appropriate that we justify. Think about how Christ responded to these actions- He was righteously furious. Do our actions in church make Christ righteously furious? We must behave ourselves appropriately in God's house.

Rachel☺; said...

im going to an island some day this weekend cause like, half of my step family is visiting from out of state. andddd tonight is farewell for us little eighth graders :] since i havent been at school im happy to get to see my friends. im wearing slippers
(like most of the time) with my dress; ha, id rather be comfy than impressive.
okayyyy, devotions
:]
well im glad some people are witty enough to figure some of this out because i wouldve never understood the body-temple thing on my own. another stupidd rachel thing.
Well anyways,
Jesus is totally unhappy with how the people are misusing the temple and bluntly disrespecting its purpose, so He causes a big pandemonium to make his dissapointment obvious. I think when Jesus talked about them destroying the temple, He was reminding them how whatever they decided to ruin, He could revive; like the temple but more importantly Himself!
application: Even though their 'forget-churt-lets-make-it-a-market' ordeal was a lot bigger than the little things that go on in church now, disrespect still goes on like messing with phones and things or a total lack of focus for whats being said. so lets work on that :]

Anonymous said...

Wow Katie nice,

I thought of it a little of the same way but to a much higher degree.

I know, that the Sabbath is holy, and we should not do anything but honor god on the Sabbath and selling things, and going to the store and spending money on alot of things, (esp when people are ripping people off for their own good, ESP IN A CHURCH) is very bad.
It defines the holyness of church.

Now, as for Jesus talking about our bodies being Temples. That is very interesting, because then Technically you could say your body is just as much apart of the church as your soul. And if you defile your body, you are defiling, Christ, you are defiling the church.

So, not only do we need to use our body in church, and not defile it, we need to use our mind, and everything that is gods temple (us). So when Jesus tells us we need to love something as we love the church, we need to love something as much as we love Jesus, and the Chruch, and our bodies. (not vainly) But in a way that we do not do drugs.. molest ourselves with Tattoos, and degrading piercings, etc. I think it is very interesting to let the thoughts of this passage flow into how we interpret it.

This also relates to our last passage, about doing the simple actions that Jesus asks us. He tells us not to defile our temples,
Not just meaning our church, but our own bodies. And even the body of Christ as a whole (Christianity).

Very good passage.. I enjoyed reading what many of you wrote!

-Rob

Jillian said...

ok so its been a while since ive been on here ive just been really busy and havent had time

honestly i dont really know what to right about this passage

but..

its kinda messed up how people in a sence "use and abuse" the church like the are in this passage

ways we can help in the church :
pastor always is saying thatn they need more nursery workers and more choir members so we can do that but the most important thing we can do in the church is bring visitors so they can hear the gospel and then eventually maybe they can be servents in the church too =]

Jillian said...

hey p.lee i think you should go check out thursdays and wednesdays devotions =] i made them up

Sarah Watkins said...

its just saying treat your body like a temple of God. and also mainly the church,show him respect and honor when your in his house.

Gaby said...

Ahhhh I got it to work finally!! Sorry i havent been on it absolutely will not work on my pc it took me like 20 mins to load this one page so im goign to try and go back n make up my other devos even if it takes all night!
pray that my mom gets me a laptop for my bday so i can do my devos!!

I think this is a cool passage because Jesus shows his anger but not in a way that was wrong in a way that was right. I mean would you want to come home and find a bunch of people in your house seling sheep? I wouldn't! I think God put this in the bible to show that we need to remember to respect God's house and remember that its a holy place.

App: I think the application to us is like P.Lee said about respectin our bodies and remembering that its not ours but christs and what you do affects not only you but christ as well.

Amy :) said...

Yea last day of school today!!!! (4 me)

We can show respect for the church by help cleaning after the services, vacuuming the hallways, and even helping out with communion by filling up the cups with whatever the church uses. Each of us should have some kind of help with the church. Even if its inviting people to it., that is a great thing to do! Your endings are always great everyday and that ending is great. That the three- days later He would build it back up again and that He rose from the grave in three days. That is sooo cool!

Pastor Lee - I will be doing my devos whenever I am gone also! Have a great summer!

Tylermon33 said...

what i got from this was that when Jesus saw the people in the temple selling animals to be sacraficed instead of them getting an animal from their own flock He got very angry (He flipped out), but it was righteous anger. He got angry for the right reasons because they weren't listening to what God told them to do. also He told His disciples to destroy the temple (His body) and He will raise it up in three days (the resurrection), they were confused at first but then they got it later on.

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

WELL... DONT SELL THINGS IN CHURCH... WELL..... I GUESS I SHOULD STOP SELLING THE CARDS!?!?!?! LOL...



no... but really.. we (as christians) need to respect and honor our bodies and treat it like it is the temple of god... well it is (in a sense). i mean really, would you go in to THE TEMPLE OF GOD and just start ravin' and rantin' on and on about greed and money and things that dishonor god... I THINK NOT! and jesus wasnt gonna have none of that either! i mean its stupid to do that now-a-days... but back then, WHEN JESUS WAS CONSTANTLY IN THE CHURCH!!! i mean how much dumber can a person get!!??!! but the main point of the passage... is to set standards like pastor lee says like once a month. honor your body, and glorify god! (that last ones a no-brainer, that should be second nature)

peace.....

Anonymous said...

Ok so this passage is talking about men coming into the church and selling things making the church in to something its not supossed to be and this spoke to me because even though you might be a christen you can still be living in sin and thats kinda the same thing because the church is holy but they were doing sin so thats kinda the same thing.
P.S.My B-Day is tomarrow yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica M said...

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY JONATHAN JAMES MASSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah tomorrows Saturday I can SLEEP IN!!!!!!!!

So Jesus walks into HIS Father's temple and sees that people have completely ransacked it! What were they thinking?? Jesus was a man on a mission! He was not going to stand by and let these people turn HIS temple into a flea market. He sort of seems a bit scary here cause we have never seen Jess act in this way before! Fierce you could say :) But if we look at this closer, we see that Jesus wasn’t acting just out of a moment of anger. But he was cleansing the temple. He was making it clean and pure. He was casting sin out of God’s house… something he is able to do for each of us as well.
And Jesus is also talking about the fact that people will destroy his body and he will raise it again in three days!

Our bodies are temples of God. And we are to honor God with our bodies. So today let me pray and ask him to clear out my heart so that my relationship with him can grow. Please pray with me:


And remember all...an apple a day keeps the doctor away!!

HADOKEN!!! said...

This passage is so cool. Jesus goes to the temple in Jerusalem only to see that it has been turned into a market! Sometime we do the same thing, coming to church only thinking of what can I do for my personal enjoyment. We don't think about how can I praise God today. Anyway on to my favorite part. Jesus tells these people to destroy the temple that they worked on for 46 years and He will resurect it in 3 days. This is like Jesus's symbolism about His resurection.

Anonymous said...

I can relate this passage 2 our youth group...in the passage they were using it as a market place & other things...some people(VERY VERY SELECT FEW)
use the youth group just as a "hang out" 7 the fun...dont get me wrong, its good they're here cuz they're hearing THE TRUTH of the Lord....BUT, that's not what the youth group is ALL about...

I understand how Christ was refering to his body as the temple...tear it down & he shall rise again

our body is also as a temple & we should b treating it w/respect/honor cuz itz property of Christ...therefor should b treated the way Christ did himself=]

Kacey! said...

I agree with Brooke. We shouldn't go to church just to hang out with our friends. I'm not saying that everyone does that, but I know a few people that do.

Great applications Pastor Lee. We need to respect our bodies because they are a temple. Also we need to respect the church! Texting in church is not respectful to God! That's basically saying to God 'I have better things to do than to listen to what you're trying to tell me'. Not only is it disrespectful to God, it's rude to Pastor Chip! He spends so many hours on preparing a message that God laid on his heart to tell us, and you don't even pay attention. Also, we shouldn't talk in church. It's rude and disrespectful to God, Pastor Chip, and the people around you. When someone says to stop talking, don't just talk quieter. Just stop talking.

Ok, sorry for writing a lecture but those are some things that I feel should be said. (:

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!