TUESDAY, March 30th, 2009

Ecclesiastes 7

1 A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth.
2 It is better to go to the house of mourning, than to go to the house of feasting: for that is the end of all men; and the living will lay it to his heart.
3 Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.
4 The heart of the wise is in the house of mourning; but the heart of fools is in the house of mirth.
5 It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools.
6 For as the crackling of thorns under a pot, so is the laughter of the fool: this also is vanity.
7 Surely oppression maketh a wise man mad; and a gift destroyeth the heart.
8 Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof: and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit.
9 Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.
10 Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this.
11 Wisdom is good with an inheritance: and by it there is profit to them that see the sun.
12 For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.
13 Consider the work of God: for who can make that straight, which he hath made crooked?
14 In the day of prosperity be joyful, but in the day of adversity consider: God also hath set the one over against the other, to the end that man should find nothing after him.
15 All things have I seen in the days of my vanity: there is a just man that perisheth in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man that prolongeth his life in his wickedness.

there is a lot of great truth in this passage... I love verse 5 where it reminds me that it is better to hear rebuke from a wise person than it is to hear a song of fools... in other words, it it better if a wise person corrects me instead of listening to some fool sing a song (or just talk) about how great I am (when I am not)...

usually we get ticked off when someone corrects us, but this passage reminds us how important it is to listen to the advice of the wise.

Also, the verse that talks about being quick to get angry!! It means you are a fool! I must remember that, because I do not want to be a fool!! I must not be quick to anger, instead I must be patient!!

8 comments:

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

well basically it says that it is better to be yelled at by a wise person than to be praised by a stupid person.

:0

AngelWings said...

Lots of great facts in this chapter. If you look at verse 3...I think it is saying that when we get down about things, it can really help strengthen our hearts by readying us for things. But the main picture that is being told is that we should listen to those wiser than us, when they correct us, they know how to make us stronger at something,-rather than being praised and admired by a foolish person that doesn't know what they are talking about-odds are, they don't know how to help us out at all. And verse 9, don't rush into things, be patient, and it also reminds us to not get angry with the wise people who correct us. They're trying to help us for the better.

Lucy;♥ said...

Short passage today, but theres good information in it!
Verse 5 stuck out to me the most, whickh it probably did for everybody! but its a important verse to learn because it is so true. Like we think we are so right about averything we do and our parents are dumb for telling us the "wise" choice, so we listen to our friends to make "foolish" choices, when really are friends don't know anything... (if your like 15 and under! haha)
I have problems with patience, people say. but i don't think i do, but i can't really see it on myself! i just know that i can be very controlling, and get mad easily cause i don't have a lot of patience! i mean if i need to i can, but normally i don't. it's kinda confusing, i just need to work on it!

Godservant said...

AHHHH!! STUPID COMPUTER!!! deep breath........ This passage tells us to be calm and not be slow to anger. I just exploded because I wrote a longish comment about verse 3, but I just will talk about you shouldn't get angry about things that don't matter, and don't get angry at small little, insignificant things, like I just did. Lord, forgive me.

Jessica Beals <3 said...

Heyy it has been a while and i am gladded i picked today to do my devotions. I loved verse 5... i think we can learn alot from it. It basically says that it is better to listen to those who will pull you up in your speritual relationship than to listen to anyone who would drag you down. i remember when Pastor lee preached a message once about hanging out with the right people and how if you are hanging out with someone who is un-godly, they become a part of you and you too become un-godly. i think it is important to surround yourslf by people who you look up to and people who incourage you, rather than possibly ruining your life by being carless about who you spend time with.

Pastor lee i LOVED your message last night... i felt like because you didnt completely stick with your notes it was alot more easy to relate to!!!!! :)

mallory!!! said...

yeah i like this passage mainly because of verse 5. i know for a fact i hate being corrected and i am trying to get out of that habit. I should want to be corrected to learn from mistakes in life and it is telling me here that its better to be corrected by a wise person than a foolish person. I also know that i dont do half the things i do like i should and therefore i need correction, but not from foolish people who dont know. many good illistrations i could make here, and more i could add, this is the main part.! im off to bed. bye!

McCue said...

MAAAAAANNN I wish I had jumped on earlier because I am exhausted and this passage is exactly what I needed. All of this is incredibly insightful but for me, especially today, but verse 9 is great. I have been angry all day for various reasons and this reminds me that I've got to control it and be slow to anger. More tommorrow Im tired.

♥Music♫GivesMeLife♥ said...

I also like this passage, it reminds me that no matter how bad things seem, there's a reason for everything, and I just keep getting stronger because of it. My emotions have especially been tested in the past couple months. I constantly felt overwhelmed with stress, depression, feeling like I'm not good enough, etc., you get the point. But I'm so much stronger because of that. You can't always get everything you want, you'll never learn anything and you'll always expect to get what you want, and that's just not gonna happen. Basically, it's not good at all to be spoiled, to be told you're perfect all the time. I remember hen I started high school, or somewhere around that time, things started to change in that way. Before then, I would CONSTANTLY be told by teachers that they loved me, I was so smart, blah blah blah. But once I got to high school, especially sophomore year, I've had to work SO hard, and there's not nearly as much praise; in fact, many people are better and smarter than me, and I can't get angry and throw a tantrum over that, you can't be the best at everything. All you can do is try YOUR best, don't get angry over every little thing, and you'll get stronger. If you complain about things that don't go your way, you're just wasting time, and I've definitely learned that, I try to just deal with things as they come, no matter how much it hurts me or annoys me. So just think things through before you act, before you get angry and yell at someone for no reason, before you start crying and shouting 'why did this have to happen to me?!' and things like that, just learn to get stronger from those experiences, and remember there's a reason for everything that happens, and it's all part of God's plan.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!