WEDNESDAY, September 10th, 2008

Teenagers! Today is Wednesday and I hope that you are planning on coming to church tonight! We are going to have our second SUNCOAST YOUTH NINJA WARRIOR NIGHT! It will be lots of fun! Make sure you come!

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Rob: I think that proton collision machine is very interesting. I am not worried about the earth being destroyed... That will not happen. I think it would be hillarious if NOTHING happens and they will realize that no "big bang" ever happened. What a waste of 6 Billion dollars that would be!! Anyway... they will probably make up some kind of information about it to make their theory of the Big bang sound a little bit more enticing. I am thankful I know the truth. God Created Earth! It is that simple!(somebody needs to give me 6 Billion dollars for that) :)
AMY: Where have you and your sister been? I really miss you two being so involved in our youth group! Wednesday Nights have just not been cutting it!
Michael: I am so thankful for you man! I am excited about meeting your friends tonight!!
Bethany B: We missed you on Sunday! Tell your LAZY brother to DO HIS DEVOTIONS!! :)
Kacey: I really hope you are here in church tonight! I miss seeing you around!
Rachel: I have a printer that I LOVE TO YELL AT!!!! :)

Listen: Read this entire chapter! It is an incredible chapter that shows the sovereignty of God even through our mistakes... I will explain at the end!

Genesis 27

1 Now it came to pass, when Isaac was old and his eyes were so dim that he could not see, that he called Esau his older son and said to him, “My son.”And he answered him, “Here I am.”
2 Then he said, “Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death.
3 Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
4 And make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die.”
5 Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to Esau his son. And Esau went to the field to hunt game and to bring it.
6 So Rebekah spoke to Jacob her son, saying, “Indeed I heard your father speak to Esau your brother, saying,
7 ‘Bring me game and make savory food for me, that I may eat it and bless you in the presence of the LORD before my death.’
8 Now therefore, my son, obey my voice according to what I command you.
9 Go now to the flock and bring me from there two choice kids of the goats, and I will make savory food from them for your father, such as he loves.
10 Then you shall take it to your father, that he may eat it, and that he may bless you before his death.”
11 And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, “Look, Esau my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth-skinned man.
12 Perhaps my father will feel me, and I shall seem to be a deceiver to him; and I shall bring a curse on myself and not a blessing.”
13 But his mother said to him, “Let your curse be on me, my son; only obey my voice, and go, get them for me.”
14 And he went and got them and brought them to his mother, and his mother made savory food, such as his father loved.
15 Then Rebekah took the choice clothes of her elder son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them on Jacob her younger son.
16 And she put the skins of the kids of the goats on his hands and on the smooth part of his neck.
17 Then she gave the savory food and the bread, which she had prepared, into the hand of her son Jacob.
18 So he went to his father and said, “My father.” And he said, “Here I am. Who are you, my son?”
19 Jacob said to his father, “I am Esau your firstborn; I have done just as you told me; please arise, sit and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me.”
20 But Isaac said to his son, “How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?” And he said, “Because the LORD your God brought it to me.”
21 Isaac said to Jacob, “Please come near, that I may feel you, my son, whether you are really my son Esau or not.”
22 So Jacob went near to Isaac his father, and he felt him and said, “The voice is Jacob’s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.”
23 And he did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau’s hands; so he blessed him.
24 Then he said, “Are you really my son Esau?” He said, “I am.”
25 He said, “Bring it near to me, and I will eat of my son’s game, so that my soul may bless you.” So he brought it near to him, and he ate; and he brought him wine, and he drank.
26 Then his father Isaac said to him, “Come near now and kiss me, my son.”
27 And he came near and kissed him; and he smelled the smell of his clothing, and blessed him and said: “ Surely, the smell of my son Is like the smell of a field which the LORD has blessed.
28 Therefore may God give you of the dew of heaven, of the fatness of the earth, and plenty of grain and wine.
29 Let peoples serve you, And nations bow down to you. Be master over your brethren, And let your mother’s sons bow down to you. Cursed be everyone who curses you, And blessed be those who bless you!”

Esau’s Lost Hope
30 Now it happened, as soon as Isaac had finished blessing Jacob, and Jacob had scarcely gone out from the presence of Isaac his father, that Esau his brother came in from his hunting.
31 He also had made savory food, and brought it to his father, and said to his father, “Let my father arise and eat of his son’s game, that your soul may bless me.”
32 And his father Isaac said to him, “Who are you?” So he said, “I am your son, your firstborn, Esau.”
33 Then Isaac trembled exceedingly, and said, “Who? Where is the one who hunted game and brought it to me? I ate all of it before you came, and I have blessed him—and indeed he shall be blessed.”
34 When Esau heard the words of his father, he cried with an exceedingly great and bitter cry, and said to his father, “Bless me—me also, O my father!”
35 But he said, “Your brother came with deceit and has taken away your blessing.”
36 And Esau said, “Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has supplanted me these two times. He took away my birthright, and now look, he has taken away my blessing!” And he said, “Have you not reserved a blessing for me?”
37 Then Isaac answered and said to Esau, “Indeed I have made him your master, and all his brethren I have given to him as servants; with grain and wine I have sustained him. What shall I do now for you, my son?”
38 And Esau said to his father, “Have you only one blessing, my father? Bless me—me also, O my father!” And Esau lifted up his voice and wept.
39 Then Isaac his father answered and said to him: “ Behold, your dwelling shall be of the fatness of the earth, And of the dew of heaven from above.
40 By your sword you shall live, And you shall serve your brother; And it shall come to pass, when you become restless, That you shall break his yoke from your neck.”

Jacob Escapes from Esau
41 So Esau hated Jacob because of the blessing with which his father blessed him, and Esau said in his heart, “The days of mourning for my father are at hand; then I will kill my brother Jacob.”
42 And the words of Esau her older son were told to Rebekah. So she sent and called Jacob her younger son, and said to him, “Surely your brother Esau comforts himself concerning you by intending to kill you.
43 Now therefore, my son, obey my voice: arise, flee to my brother Laban in Haran.
44 And stay with him a few days, until your brother’s fury turns away,
45 until your brother’s anger turns away from you, and he forgets what you have done to him; then I will send and bring you from there. Why should I be bereaved also of you both in one day?”
46 And Rebekah said to Isaac, “I am weary of my life because of the daughters of Heth; if Jacob takes a wife of the daughters of Heth, like these who are the daughters of the land, what good will my life be to me?”

As I read this passage I had some SERIOUS questions!! Like: Why would God bless Jacob for being deceitful?? Why would Esau be punished for doing what his father told him to do?? I was extremely confused about this... I mean, the easy answer is to just say: That is how God wanted it to work, so He let that happen... But that does not answer the crutial questions about Sin, and Holiness...

I read about 4 pages in a commentary and it all makes sense now. I am so thankful for this passage because it teaches us that God's Will will be accomplished even through our mistakes. Let me explain...

To completely understand we must go back to chapter 25. In chapter 25 we see that Rebekah is about to have twins. God goes to Isaac and Rebekah and tells them that the younger "JACOB" shall serve the older "ESAU". Why? Because God knew the hearts of both of them before they were even born and God chose Jacob to be the son that would be blessed.

Well two chapters later at the end of Isaacs life, for some CRAZY reason, Isaac is about to bless Esau instead of Jacob... Well if you reade the passage then you know what happened. Rebekkah and Jacob wwere deceitful and the lied to Isaac to make Isaac bless Jacob instead of blessing Esau.

Was "the end" of what Rebekkah was trying to do right? YES. Was her "means" or her method right? NO. Teenagers, here is a good way for you to understand it... It would not be right for me to lie to a teenager and tell them I will give them 100 dollars if they will come to church, and then never give them the money.

Yes, I got them to come to church! Good! But I lied to them! Bad!

THE END WILL NEVER JUSTIFY THE MEANS!! That is a very important truth that you should memorize! Another way of saying it is like this:

IT IS NEVER RIGHT TO DO WRONG TO DO RIGHT! (if you can understand that)

Do you think that God could have brought about his will through an honest way? OF COURSE HE COULD HAVE! I believe if Rebekkah would have gone into Isaac with a humble attitude and a loving heart and explained to him that God commanded them to "bless" the younger son and not the older son, I think he would have responded and obeyed God. AND NO ONE WOULD HAVE HAD TO LIE!!

God's plan is always better than ours! I am so thankgul for this passage today! I definitely learned something about God and about Isaac, Jacob, Rebekkah, Esau, and MYSELF!!!

Trust Gods plan, and obey him, it will make life a lot less stressful, and a lot less hurtful!!

14 comments:

Amy :) said...

YES FIRST AGAIN!!!!!!!!
I really want to come on Sundays but I cant drive and my mom doesnt want to just quit on this other church,,, I wont be coming tonight idk why but I will miss you a lot and maybe hope to see you next wednesday...

“Indeed I have made him your master, and all his brethren I have given to him as servants; with grain and wine I have sustained him. What shall I do now for you, my son?” - this is such a cool thought that he made him his master and gave him servants and all that jazz.

At the end it talks about how we need to trust God's plan for our lives and to let God do His stuff in His time and dont give up on the Lord.

Godservant said...

What I don't understand is why Rebecah wanted Jacob to lie to his own father. Maybe it was just because God wanted it done that way. Like I've heard a million times (and you have probably heard it a million times too) God works in mysterious ways.

Pastor Lee, I will probably just be by myself tonight. I acually invited 3 people because one of them had their golf practice cancelled today, but his parents said no because they need "a week in advance." One said he is going to a different youth group 'cause it is closer to where he lives. And the third person has not returned my call... yet.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm not grounoded so i will try to be on here as much as possible. So Isaac is old and he tells Esau to go get him some food snd he will bless him. So he goes and lookes for food and Rebekah over hears and yells at him. I would wrie more but my brain is not functioning today...sorry

Anonymous said...

Ok so Jacob is a little poop shank i dont know why someone would push there on brother to side like that because it obvioulsy was Gods plan for Esau to get the blessing but Jacob went and messed with it. Have you heard the term a wolf in sheeps clothing thats what Jacob was doing he was deceving his father and i think thats something we need to look out for people who are fake meaning you think there a friend someone nice but they really will go behind your back and STAB YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok i think we should start a COUNT DOWN TO DISNEY!!!!!! 10 DAYS!!!!!!!

Bethany B. said...

this all comes together in this passage because it teaches us how to be put together as a christian! Having values and plans for your life really helps you get somewhere.We need to follow what God wants us to do. After all he is our master.

oH and i had such a fun time tonight!!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica M said...

First of all I cannot believe that Rebekah would have aided Jacon in doing wrong. What a bad example on her part. In these passages I could see urgency in other worda no patiences. It is a virtue you know! lol! Jacob had no patience and no self control and he had the trickful behavior of the devil! Let's not be deceitful and try to live right! You know what I mean!

peace out

Jessica M said...

I MADE UP YESTERDAYSSSSSSSS!!!!


PEACE

Anonymous said...

hello everyone it it nice to be back online.

well in todays passage we see Isac an old man who asks his son to find game for him And make him savory food.he says that if easu gets it to him he will bless him before he dies.haveing overheard this Rebeckah goes and tells jacob what his father said. she then goes through all this trouble to make sur that Isac believes that jacob is easu.so now jacob is taking easu' place without him knowing.so now thinking that easu was in front of him with the food and stuff he does as he said and blesses him litttle did he know that he was blessing the wrong person.so now easu walks in and says that he also has the food(if i was isac i would be extremely confused)PAUSE!!!!!!!!
so what i get out of this is how idiotic you can make yourself look by lieing!! serously i mean you tell a lie to impress someone and then someone else finds out and your left lokking like an idiot!!!!!!

um pastor lee i am defenetly considering what you called me about so ya!!

Kacey! said...

PL, I was totally trying to talk to you tonight and you disappeared! Umm I’m not going to be here on Sunday because I’m going up to Ocala. My grandma’s sister had a stroke and my grandma and grandpa want to go up there but they are old and don’t like driving long distances so my dad is driving them up there and he wants me to go with them. And I wasn’t there Sunday because my dad wanted me to go with him to church. At the Wilds, I talked to my counselor about the situation and she was saying that even if the church doesn’t benefit me at all I should still obey my dad. So yeah, that’s why I went. And I might bring a friend with me next Wednesday. His brother , Cody Holland, is going to Trinity and is going to be a pastor. You may know him.

God makes all things work together for good, even though we make mistakes. Whatever God wants, will happen. For example: I started talking to someone and this person is a Christian but isn’t living for God. I’m helping this person get on the right track. We started talking by complete accident, but it’s all working out good, (: It’s benefiting me because this person is someone I can relate to. This person is where I was in my past.

HADOKEN!!! said...

If this passage had a title it would be exactly what you said pastor lee "Never do Right to do Wrong to do Right". In this passage we see that the intentions were good but the means of doing so were bad. My example would be if a hobo wanted a sandwitch and you told him you'd get one but when you go to get it you beat up another hobo for it. Although you pleased the first hobo you sinned to accomplish that. Which isn't an accomplishment at all.



NEWS FLASH: I am going to read a book for entertainment purposes for the first time since harry potter 3 came out which was like when I was 10. Unfortunatly when I go to buy it, it is always sold out WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel☺; said...

UGH.
so im about to pass out.
please dont think im horrible but i doubt i will be able to analyze this at its full potential right now.

I just fished NOT EVEN half of my homework and i starte don it literally within minutes of getting home.
school is so dumb
):
im going to school late if i dont finish my work.

So ive read the passage but ill comment tomorrow cause i really need to function in school tomorrow

it has to do with jacobs evil ittle plan to take esaus firstborn benefits from him because his father cannot see very well and he puts a fur on to seem hairy like his brother and tricks his father.

dont think im horrible, please.
you know ill come back tomorrow and put a REAL comment of mine for it!

RYAN said...

wow you can get so much from this passage. so at first Isaac told his older son to go hunt for gain and make him food and Isaac would bless him. now Isaacs wife heard that and wanted Jacob to get the blessing so she told him to be decietful. he flat out lied to his father about who he was and he was still blessed. Rebekah tried to do this becouse before in there lives God told them that Jacob is the one that would be bleesed. so what Rebekah did was she wanted to make sure of that by all of the lies and decietfullness. it is never ok to lie.

Rachel☺; said...

Wow, i wouldve been sp upset ifi was Esau.
Not necessarily that Gods plans wrent what id have liked butt he fact that my oen mother wanted to take something away from me for my other brother.!
It doesnt even seem like rebekah was doing it because it was Gods plan at all to me, just because she had favoritism for Jacob and wanted the best for him.
Like the other days devotions, we see a reaction; a bad one this time, to situation.
Esau wante dto kill his brother because his blessing was 'stolen' in his eyes.
He couldve handled it in a more Godly manner and created his OWN honor istead of relying on a blessing to bring it.
Its way off topic from what the rest of you are talking about but, thats what im thining of most in this passage.
Instead of doing good and thinking i deserve better or deserve something great and expecting it, i should stay humble and earn those great things on my own.
As we see here, youd ont get everything you wnat, and for good reason.
I shoud not get upset when myway isnt fulfilled, but to try to be more humble in situations and earn my own blessings rather than just expecting them.

Anonymous said...

Took me time to read the whole article, the article is great but the comments bring more brainstorm ideas, thanks.

- Johnson

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!