THURSDAY, September 11th, 2008

What do you think of the new buildings that will be built in place of the World Trade Center.
I think it looks incredible!

Hey everyone! I hope that you had a great day today! I am thankful that you all are doing your devotions faithfully. If you know someone who has not been on recently then I would like to encourage you to call them up and have them do their devotions!!

Genesis 28

1 Then Isaac called Jacob and blessed him, and charged him, and said to him: “You shall not take a wife from the daughters of Canaan.
2 Arise, go to Padan Aram, to the house of Bethuel your mother’s father; and take yourself a wife from there of the daughters of Laban your mother’s brother.
3 “May God Almighty bless you, And make you fruitful and multiply you, That you may be an assembly of peoples;
4 And give you the blessing of Abraham, To you and your descendants with you, That you may inherit the land In which you are a stranger, Which God gave to Abraham.”
5 So Isaac sent Jacob away, and he went to Padan Aram, to Laban the son of Bethuel the Syrian, the brother of Rebekah, the mother of Jacob and Esau.

Esau Marries Mahalath
6 Esau saw that Isaac had blessed Jacob and sent him away to Padan Aram to take himself a wife from there, and that as he blessed him he gave him a charge, saying, “You shall not take a wife from the daughters of Canaan,”
7 and that Jacob had obeyed his father and his mother and had gone to Padan Aram.
8 Also Esau saw that the daughters of Canaan did not please his father Isaac.
9 So Esau went to Ishmael and took Mahalath the daughter of Ishmael, Abraham’s son, the sister of Nebajoth, to be his wife in addition to the wives he had.

Jacob’s Vow at Bethel
10 Now Jacob went out from Beersheba and went toward Haran.
11 So he came to a certain place and stayed there all night, because the sun had set. And he took one of the stones of that place and put it at his head, and he lay down in that place to sleep.
12 Then he dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.
13 And behold, the LORD stood above it and said: “I am the LORD God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie I will give to you and your descendants.
14 Also your descendants shall be as the dust of the earth; you shall spread abroad to the west and the east, to the north and the south; and in you and in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.
15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you.”
16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, “Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it.”
17 And he was afraid and said, “How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven!”
18 Then Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put at his head, set it up as a pillar, and poured oil on top of it.
19 And he called the name of that place Bethel; but the name of that city had been Luz previously.
20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, “If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on,
21 so that I come back to my father’s house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God.
22 And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God’s house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.”

So, this is not a very long passage, but it has a neat story. First we see how concerned Isaac and Rebekka are about who their sons will marry. Why is that important? Well, because the person that you marry will determine the future that you will have. If you marry a heathen who does not love God, then it will ruin your life and your children will be brought up as heathen that do not love God either. Although your parents are not as involved as Isaac and RebekKa in the process of picking out your marriage partner, you should still take head and respect their advice about marriage. Think about it: They have already been through marriage and they know what it is like... you better respect their advice and LISTEN TO IT!

The rest of this passage is a neat story of How God goes to Jacob and passes the promise of Abraham on to Jacob. God tells Jacob that he will be the father to many Generations and God tells him several other things... I love the way the Jacob wakes up: He wakes up ans says: Surely the presence of the Lord is in this place!! And I didnt even know it!!!

For some reason I think that is funny... He is in some random place and God speaks to him and he says that. Ok... I thought it was funny. ANYWAY!

Jacob was sleeping and using a ROCK for a pillow. I have had a pillow like that. Have you? :)

Well, my favorite part of this chapter was definitely verses 20-22 Where Jacob says if God will do all these things that He has said, then He WILL BE MY GOD!!!

Teenagers, have you made God YOUR GOD? or is He your pastors God? or your parents God? Make him YOUR GOD!! He will be faithful to His Promises!!!

13 comments:

Amy :) said...

YES FIRST AGAIN!!!!
Isaac is concerned about who there sons would marry because he probably wants them to be good, Godly, Christian women. Example: my history teacher married a guy who is not a Christian and he wouldnt go to church with her or go to prayer meetings, and thats why she divorced him because he wasnt the right man in the sight of her and in the sight of God.

Rely on the Lord for everything,, He won't let you starve, be homeless,and He defently won't let you have a bad education...

God is defenitly my God! But sometimes we get carried away with other stuff and we make excuses like... oh i didnt have time to do my devos, my internet was broken... With God you have no excuse.

Godservant said...

I remember my Father saying to me that the last bible prophecy that came true(that hasn't yet come true, because 95 percent have come true a million times) was when Israel becoming an official nation on Earth about in the 1940's or 50's. And we all know He is reffering to Jacob's promise. God is the only person I know that has kept all his promises. Our God is a God of promises!

Pastor Lee, I don't think Julio has accepted Christ yet. I asked him if he did and he said that he is not all sure about it. I don't want to ask him anymore, because I don't want to brush him off and him forgeting everything about Jesus. Pray for Julio everyone!

Bethany B. said...

Pastor Lee i think it was great when you said " Is God really our God." At times i think everyone just thinks God is God and not there God that they love and serve, thats something we can work on!

Also Isaac being converned about who his sons marry is a good thing because even if you dont agree with your parents the first time there probally still right. And maybe if your parents are not right you can always cast your cares of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

that is very true. we should defenately listen to our parents about who we should marry!! :) after all, they do know how it is like to be married. I think that Isaac's parents were a little "over protective" but that is good. at leat for some people.


last night was so much fun. Pastor Lee, i need you to help me witness to chandler. (the kid who i keep bringing to church) i asked thim if he was saved and he said that he didn't know and that he didn't know what i was talking about. i gtg but i will see you sunday. probably. see ya.

Jessica M said...

SOO tonight we had our first WYLDELIFE/YOUNGLIFE meeting! And David told me how he met with you Pastor Lee, and you told him about the devo blog. And he thinks it is such a neat idea! I can't for Younglife to start! I LOVE IT!

I think a girl's heart should be so lost in God that a man needs to seek Him in order to find her. Also I truly believe and this for just me and maybe it sounds stupid and what not, but I feel that until I have showed that God is my number one, my everthing, my top priority, HE will not bring things into my life and what I mean by that is not the essential needs, but relationships, friends like Darcy, ummmmm and other things. I don't even know is that makes sense or not! But I have just learned that putting God first is the ONLY thing that matters. That is why you see teenage girls go from guy to guy to guy to guy in less than a year and they can't hold relationships, thats why there are broken families, and hurting marraiges. AMEN!!!!


That's all! good day :)

Anonymous said...

Ok so i dont know why i thought of this but i feel like i have to say it when they were talking about how there was a ladder i couldnt help thinking that we go on and off a ladder everyday in the sense of were climbing up this ladder and right when we get to the top were so close with God then someone grabs your leg and brings you to the ground and when you fall it hurts. The worst part is its nothing you can control they might bring you down in the form of calling you names verbal things and that might make you so angry i know it makes me angry and i think its something were gonna have to learn to not bring us down. This is what i learnwed from this passage so dont make fun!!!!!!

P.S. 9 DAYS TILL DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RYAN said...

so at the beginning of the passage its kind of growse. Jacobs wife was actually his cousin ewww. it is great how Isaac and Rebekah were so nvolved in there childrens lives thatt they wanted to be sure they got good Godly wives. it is true when you said is God our God. sometimes we forget that God is our God not your parents God or your friends God but hes yours. sometimes we forget to put god in our schedule but God needs to be at the top of our list. i think that is one thing i need to work on. im so distracted by other things that i forget about God.

RYAN said...

oh and i did mondays and tuesdays devotions.

HADOKEN!!! said...

basically this passage is telling us two things first of all it tells us to pick the right person to marry cuz u gonna liv wit dem 4evva! If you marry somebody who is rude to the Lord you are going to have a terrible relationship. The second thing is we need to respect God as our actual god not just some thing we hear about in church every sunday. We need to fear Him for the all powerful being that he is.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if my mother and father are going to be like that. I know they would want me to share my life with someone who is a christen. Wow doesn't that mean he married one of his cousins. Esau had many wives i didn't know that because it never mentioned him.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Ok so this was a short but meaningful story. This passage starts out with Isaac being concerned with who his sons will marry. I think thats good that they care I wish more parents today would care. I like how you asked if God is my God! He is for sure MY GOD and Im sooo glad!!! Well I dont think that would be to fun for me to sleep on a rock, I wouldnt enjoy that at all... I think its cool how God talked to Jacob and he had said the Lord is in this place and I did not know it. But honestly I dont understand how he didnt know it. After reading it a few times I understand better now but that would be cool to realize that your in the house of God and this is the gate of heaven! Well i g2g so ttyl and c-a Sunday! bye

Anonymous said...

The Promise of Abraham is a special thing to receive and Jacob must have been happy to get it. Also when it comes to picking a husband or wife everything matters and to me you need as much advice as possible. Marriage is a sacred thing in the sight of God and its a commitment to God, your partner, and yourself so this isn't something you should fool around with and pick just some good guy or girl they need to someone who matches you, loves you, and also relies on God even during the tough times.

Rachel☺; said...

Michael; i talked to Julio today and he said he will definitely come back to church next week if its possible, so thats a super good thing! He has a lot of questions about salvation though but hes still open to it.
im praying for him as well ((:

Hmm so my mom sometimes really doesnt know what shes talking about with soe things (dont worry, she admits it, lol) but i totally trust my mom when she talks about marriage.
Its a learn-from-my-mistakes and learn-from-my-sucesses kind of thing, and i dont mean that disrespectfully, shes described it that way before.
Ive seen familes that dont have the same goals and values before, and honestly, theres like, a huge rift inbetween them as a family and they dont function well as a whole. The kids usually dont know what to think of themselves or what to believe and im beginning to realize that values are the #1 thing in ANY relationship with ANYONE.
Christian friends are so beneficial and are people you can really feel good around, and non-Christians are often people you feel so different from or bad associating with, whether you partake in their wrong doings or not.
It makes me realize that if just people you associate with are important to share Christian values with, more importantly HAS TO be the person you will marry one day!
I know i have a hard time with reliable Christian friends that i can get close to, so as i have that in mind i should rememember to keep priorities straight for the benefit of my future too.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!