FRIDAY, September 12th, 2008

Time is flying by so fast!

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Michael: I am thankful for your boldness for Christ. You are very smart not to talk to Julio about it for a while... let the Holy Spirit do His work, sometimes we tend to want to save people ourselves, but we can end up scaring people off. God is in control and Julio is a very smart guy, God will keep working on him.
Jake: Keep bringing Chandler to church. I am going to teach on Salvation very soon, maybe even this Wednesday night! I would love to show him how to accept Christ.
Jessica: I am so glad that you went, I really wanted to go last night, but we have family from Rhode Island in town, so I could not make it. David was a really nice guy, and I am excited about helping out.
Marvin: I am glad you came back on the devo blog... now get Kervin back on too!!
Mallory: I agree with you! I am glad that you are so faithful on here!

Genesis 29

1 So Jacob went on his journey and came to the land of the people of the East.
2 And he looked, and saw a well in the field; and behold, there were three flocks of sheep lying by it; for out of that well they watered the flocks. A large stone was on the well’s mouth.
3 Now all the flocks would be gathered there; and they would roll the stone from the well’s mouth, water the sheep, and put the stone back in its place on the well’s mouth.
4 And Jacob said to them, “My brethren, where are you from?” And they said, “We are from Haran.”
5 Then he said to them, “Do you know Laban the son of Nahor?” And they said, “We know him.”
6 So he said to them, “Is he well?” And they said, “He is well. And look, his daughter Rachel is coming with the sheep.”
7 Then he said, “Look, it is still high day; it is not time for the cattle to be gathered together. Water the sheep, and go and feed them.”
8 But they said, “We cannot until all the flocks are gathered together, and they have rolled the stone from the well’s mouth; then we water the sheep.”
9 Now while he was still speaking with them, Rachel came with her father’s sheep, for she was a shepherdess.
10 And it came to pass, when Jacob saw Rachel the daughter of Laban his mother’s brother, and the sheep of Laban his mother’s brother, that Jacob went near and rolled the stone from the well’s mouth, and watered the flock of Laban his mother’s brother.
11 Then Jacob kissed Rachel, and lifted up his voice and wept.
12 And Jacob told Rachel that he was her father’s relative and that he was Rebekah’s son. So she ran and told her father.
13 Then it came to pass, when Laban heard the report about Jacob his sister’s son, that he ran to meet him, and embraced him and kissed him, and brought him to his house. So he told Laban all these things.
14 And Laban said to him, “Surely you are my bone and my flesh.” And he stayed with him for a month.

Jacob Marries Leah and Rachel
15 Then Laban said to Jacob, “Because you are my relative, should you therefore serve me for nothing? Tell me, what should your wages be?”
16 Now Laban had two daughters: the name of the elder was Leah, and the name of the younger was Rachel.
17 Leah’s eyes were delicate, but Rachel was beautiful of form and appearance.
18 Now Jacob loved Rachel; so he said, “I will serve you seven years for Rachel your younger daughter.”
19 And Laban said, “It is better that I give her to you than that I should give her to another man. Stay with me.”
20 So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, and they seemed only a few days to him because of the love he had for her.
21 Then Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in to her.”
22 And Laban gathered together all the men of the place and made a feast.
23 Now it came to pass in the evening, that he took Leah his daughter and brought her to Jacob; and he went in to her.
24 And Laban gave his maid Zilpah to his daughter Leah as a maid.
25 So it came to pass in the morning, that behold, it was Leah. And he said to Laban, “What is this you have done to me? Was it not for Rachel that I served you? Why then have you deceived me?”
26 And Laban said, “It must not be done so in our country, to give the younger before the firstborn.
27 Fulfill her week, and we will give you this one also for the service which you will serve with me still another seven years.”
28 Then Jacob did so and fulfilled her week. So he gave him his daughter Rachel as wife also.
29 And Laban gave his maid Bilhah to his daughter Rachel as a maid.
30 Then Jacob also went in to Rachel, and he also loved Rachel more than Leah. And he served with Laban still another seven years.

The Children of Jacob
31 When the LORD saw that Leah was unloved, He opened her womb; but Rachel was barren.
32 So Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Reuben; for she said, “The LORD has surely looked on my affliction. Now therefore, my husband will love me.”
33 Then she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Because the LORD has heard that I am unloved, He has therefore given me this son also.” And she called his name Simeon.
34 She conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Now this time my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” Therefore his name was called Levi.
35 And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Now I will praise the LORD.” Therefore she called his name Judah. Then she stopped bearing.

Wow! The deceiver is deceived!!! Do you remember how Jacob deceived his father two days ago? well, now He is looking for a wife, and this story had potential to be an incredible love story. Jacob walks into the city, he sees the "shepherdess" Rachel, and walks up to her and just kisses her. DONT TRY THAT TODAY GUYS! YOU WILL GET KNOCKED OUT! :) TRUST ME! :) J/K

Well, Jacob finds the woman he wants to marry and He goes to her father and says: I will work for you for seven years if I can marry your daughter: RACHEL!!!!!! So seven years later... (where were you seven years ago? THAT IS A LONG TIME) well... seven years later the marriage day comes, there is a feast, and at the end of the day Jacob and his new bride go back to their tent. They consumate the marriage, and THEN!!! WOW!! "It came to pass in the morning, BEHOLD!!! (modern day language: WHAT IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!) IT WAS LEAH!!!!

I guess it was really dark in that tent, but Jacob was CLEARLY suprised to see Leah in the morning! The deceiver was deceived!!! You reap what you so!!

I cannot imagine that! Can you imagine the dissapointment in that situation. You count down the days until you can marry your wife, and then when you realize who you married it WAS NOT THE GIRL YOU LOVED.

Well, Jacob went to Laban and said YOU TRICKED ME!!!! (I bet that sounded familiar to him!) Laban made him a deal that if He worked another 7 years, then he could marry Rachel. Wow! 14 years of work, for the one Jacob loved!!!

Lesson of the day: Dont deceive people... you will reap what you so.

13 comments:

Godservant said...

Rachel, I saw Julio today and I kept quiet about the Jesus subject because like I said yesterday, I don't want to scare him away from church.

Deciving people, something Satan loves to do to mankind. When you decive someone, it may give you a tad bit of pleasure at first, but later on you may feel bad about what you did and/or you may be decived back by the same person or someone else. Lession to be learned: DON'T DECIVE PEOPLE, Christ would never do it to you.

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

deceiving... one of the biggest problems. and YES lieing does fall under the category of decieving people.

like michael said.. satan loves to deviece people.


we as christians need to be truthfull and hones in what we do...


PEACE

Tylermon33 said...

this starts out by jacob going into this one town and seeing rachel and jacob really likes rachel so he asks laban if he can work for him for 7 years to marry her. so laban says sure and 7 years later he marries what he thinks if rachel and the next moring he realized it was leah. so he goes to laban and tells him that he tricked him and laban says that i will let you marry rachel if you work for me for another 7 years (WOW thats a long time just for one person). so he agrees and finally 7 years later he marries the girl he wanted to marry in the first place. also the lord saw that leah wasn't getting much attention from jacob so God gave her four children. so we see that the trickster gets tricked. what ever you do to other people it will happen to you. what ever you reap you will soe, the old saying says. so we should treat others the way we would want to be treated because it will probably come back to us.


sorry i haven't been doing my devos. lately or coming to church but football practice goes until 7:30 and then i have to go home and shower and eat, then after that i have to do my homework (which takes FOREVER) and then i go to bed, so sorry about that.

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Well Its Friday!!! yea! So in case you all didnt know deceiving is in fact a SIN! I think that a lot of times we dont even realize when we are deceiving people we just do and we need to try and control it so that just like in this passage we are not deceived back! So we see that Jacob LOVES Rachel and works 7 years for her dad so he can marry her. Well that 7 years pass and he ends up with her sister Leah!(because he didnt realize it was her until the next morning.) WoW Jacob ends up working 7 more years so that this time he has Rachel. Kind of strange but cool! He must have loved her alot for 14 years of work!!!(I would honestly probably give up on the person if it was 14 years!!!)Well just learn from this and dont trick others! See you Sunday! bye.

Anonymous said...

hello everyone todays is my BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! i just got back from the football game and decided to do my devos,but enough about me lets talk about how often we are decived or we decive others. if you think about it,it happens too much. a simple little"white lie" can be deciving someone.no one is perfect and i know we all lie but we should all try to lessen the amount that we do lie because in the end it is probably going to keep coming back to you in your head and then that whole "guilt thing" forms and that is not fun

well tomorow im going bowling but i will definetlly try and get on here!

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Happy Birthday jessica B!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Deceitfulness is a tough game to play because just when you think your winning the one that your trying to deceits you and deceitetation starts from square one because each person wants to deceit the other more then they deceived them. All in all more sin is committed and nothing is gained except a little pride and what you deceived for which probably won't last long because material possessions can only do so much. I believe that if everyone can just follow the plan that God has laid out for them then there will be no need for any type of sin (we'll still sin though). If Jacob hadn't deceived anyone in the first place then He wouldn't have wasted 7 extra years of his life. I can apply this to my life because it says we reap what we sow and if I can learn to sow good seed like witnessing, helping people find God or anything that pleases God in general then I'll live a life that I wouldn't trade for the world, but if I continue to sow bad seeds then I'd probably start to fade so far away from God that eventually I might forget that I ever believed in Him.

Kacey! said...

Happy birthday Jessica, (:
Umm I will not be able to do my devotions on Saturday and Sunday on here, but I'm bringing my Bible so I can be all caught up with everyone else, (:

I can't write much tonight because I have to get to bed because we are leaving here around 7. If I were Jacob, I would be so mad! Here we see that he didn't take out his anger. Instead, he was willing to work for another seven years to marry Rachel. He is really good at controlling his anger and handling bad situations well.

Kacey! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESSICA B.
Ok so he goes up to Rachel and kisses her WHAT who does that and how do you know you really love that person you known them for aaaaaa 2 seconds but anyways he was decieved and i think that would be horrible he was waiting to get married and he finds out he slept with the wrong GIRL do you know how horrible he must have felt. We need to watch out Satan can decive us in ways that we didnt think would happen.
8 DAYS TILL DISNEY!!!!!

Rachel☺; said...

Michael, youre a smarter kid than i am (: lol.
i just asked him if he enjoyed wednesday and he said yeah & that he would come back.


Pastor Lee, i thought the so youre talking about is reallo s-o-w?

idk, but this passage seems really sad to me.
Sure, Jacob got what was coming for him and he shouldve expected nothing more, but i feel bad for Leah!
She was more of the wife on the backburner, all she seemed to do for Jacobs pleasure was to bear children because Rachel couldnt.
Poor woman kept thinking just cause she was having kids, her husband would maybe love her.

Deceit is often what i see as something that you can dish out much better than you can accept.
I know one of my biggest peeves is when people lie right to my face and i know what theyre doing, even though i know ive (not much though) done it before myself.
Jacob worked extra as expected to get Rachel for his wife because just as he was unaware that Leah would be given first, His father previously was unaware of his trickery.
I bet he had gained a bit more humility after all of the unexpected work he had to do, and better realized the wrong he had done to his father and brother.

So something i can work on;
Dont hand out what you cant stand to handle. Youll realize how annoying it is one day.


HAPPY B-DAY JESSICA ((:

RYAN said...

so at the begjacob finding Laban and his family. then jacob took Rachel to be his wife and worked for her father for 7 yars. then Laban devieves Jacob and gives Jacob Leah instead of Rachel. Jacob commited to serving a whole nother 7 years just so he could be with Rachel. Jacob had 4 sonsall from Leah

Amy :) said...

Ok this is satans schedule. 1. trick you into temptation, 2. decieve you into temptation/sin and 3. he wants you to hate God, and love him...
Don't let Satan into your life, don't let him trick,tempt,or deceive you from having a good relationship with God


You will definitly reap wat you sow.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!