FRIDAY, July 4th, 2008

It Is July 4th! Happy Birthday... ...America! :) So, What are your plans for today? I hope that you plan to go to the "freedom float" at 12:00 noon so that we can all swim across together at 1:00pm. Then I hope that you also plan to be at Laishley Park by 6:00pm so that we can all hang out together and watch the fireworks!

A Few Thoughts From Yesterday:
Josh L: Thanks for coming with us yesterday! I hope you get to come and hang out today as well! It will be lots and lots of fun! BTW: 6:30am is not "posting the devotions late" so calm down. :)
Jessica B: I am excited about having Australia arked on here! I got someone to visit from South Africa! Cool Huh?
Alex: That was an incredible illustration! You had to get through the puke in life before you could feel better... God knew what you needed all along! Very cool! Keep those kinds of illustrations coming!
Grace: Alright! We will miss you though! Hurry Back!
Drake: Thanks for joining us man! That was some seriously deep theology! :)
Kervin: Great Job man! It is nice to know that there is someone always watching over us!
Kacey: That is what I am talking about! Thanks for truely reading the passage and seriously applying it to your life! Great Job! I Love Reading Your Devotions! Keep up the good work!

John 11:17-27

17 So when Jesus came, He found that he (Lazarus) had already been in the tomb four days.
18 Now Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles away.
19 And many of the Jews had joined the women around Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20 Now Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met Him, but Mary was sitting in the house.
21 Now Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died.
22 But even now I know that whatever You ask of God, God will give You.”
23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.”
24 Martha said to Him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.
26 And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”
27 She said to Him, “Yes, Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”

This passage is smaller, but there is still a great story. Christ comes to the place where Lazarus has been "entombed" (Placed in a tomb... because HE IS DEAD). Lazarus has been dead for 4 Days now. When Mary and Martha see that Jesus is coming, Mary stays in the house for some reason: Maybe she is upset with Jesus, because "he didnt come in time" or maybe she just wants to stay inside to mourn the loss of her brother. Martha, on the other hand ran out to meet Christ. Martha said with all the passion in her heart: "Jesus if you would have been here, then my brother would not have died!! But I know that even right now, whatever you ask from God He will give you" Martha trusted that Christ had the power to bring Lazarus back from the dead.

Jesus says to Martha: " Your Brother will rise again" Martha's response is very interesting! She says: Jesus! I know He will rise in the ressurection, but I want him to be back alive now... Then Christ reassures her by saying: "I am the resurrection and the life... He that believes in my shall never die"

How great is that statement: Christ is the source of Life in this world! We must trust that Christ can do ANYTHING in our life just as Martha did!

Ok, so here is the GREAT application for this passage! Martha had never seen anyone raised from the dead... She had probably never even dreamed that it was possible. However when she spent time with Jesus, She realized that NOTHING WAS IMPOSSIBLE WITH CHRIST! So you know what she did? She asked Him to do something greater than she could have possibly imagined! And Guess What! We are going to see that Christ answers her request!

We must ask God to do something great in our life, in our church, in our youth group! If we do not have the faith to ask God to do something so wonderful then Why would he ever do it? We must have faith in Him and ask Him to do great things in our life, our church, and our youth group!

That is some cool stuff!
Have a Happy 4th of July! My favorite Holiday EVER! :)

23 comments:

weird high school kid said...

If that was my close family member like my mom or jeff I would be bawling and complaining to jesus why didn't you come earlier now he's dead and its all because you didn't get here sooner. Unlike myself Martha put all her trust in Jesus and even though she might not understand what Jesus said at that moment she knew that with him there everything would be just fine. So like Martha put your trust in the lord and he will help to solve those problems. Have a great day I've done my devotions so finally off to bed for me since I've been awake since 2:30 A.M. yesterday.

weird high school kid said...

I forgot about When I slept for an hour in Pastor Chip's car yesterday. Whew don't want to be lying now would I.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHAY PASTOR LEE!!!!!!!! and happy 4th of july!!! i will do my devos later now i have to leave for alex's parade!!!oh and Africa is way cool!!

FoOtBaLl XtReMiSt (cary) said...

well.... first and foremost... HAPPY BIRTHDAY PASTOR LEE!!!


so martha is complaining to jesus because lazarus died b4 he got there...and she is saying "ohhh,, why couldnt u have got here earlier. and now jesus is like "what are you talking about?!?" hes living! (in heaven)

and then jesus drew a croud and had the disciples open the tomb and then said "lazarus, come forth!" and then guess what... i think you know..

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PASTOR LEE! Have a GREAT day celebrating the freedoms we have given to us by God, first of all, and of course, by our soldiers!!

Mrs. W.

Pastor Lee said...

I hope all of you are making plans to come out to the freedom float today! And I hope you will be joining us at Laishley PArk!! I am so excited!!!!!! Thanks for all the Happy Birthdays!! I am 25 today! Wow!

Aznricerunr[PN] said...

Happy birthday to Pastor lee and Gareth[PN]! ok well im going to the thing today so i hope you guys r ready to get beat because im going to be the first one to finish!


A man name (Lazarus) died and his sister martha heard that Jesus was coming to see it and she rushed to him and said that if he was here her brother would still be alive. Jesus says that he will be alive in the last of days or meaning the rapture he will be taking to heaven. He who believes in him will be with me through eternity and never perish. she believed in him also so she will go to heaven as will(Lazarus. Thats the same for us if we believe in Jesus he will save us from hell to live with him in heaven. If you think Sarah Watkins house is nice just wait till you see Gods house it will be amazing!

Aznricerunr[PN] said...

Thanks josh for caring about me man and if you died I would probably cry my eyes out too

Anonymous said...

I think that this passage shows us how we are not to underestimate the incrediable power of our Lord. I also like how Martha ran to Jesus with her problem(s), shouldent we do the same? When we put our faith and trust in Jesus like Martha, there is no limit on what our God can and will do!

How cool is it that I got the day off work for pastor Lee's birthday!
Infact the whole company I work for closed today, ha ha. Happy birthday pastor Lee.
Happy birthday America. Let us not forget the great sacrifices so many have made for our freedoms.

Anonymous said...

hAPPY BDAY PASTOR LEE, YOU ARE A QUARTER OF A CENTURY OLD WOW THATS OLD !!!!!!!!!!! LOVE MR PAUL

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday pastorr Lee 25 thats old Just joshin. Did you watch the hot dog eating contest cause it waz so kool. 60 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes my stomach hurt just watching it. Kervin is watching me right now so I better hurry up and do this.
Now on to the devotions I know if my brother was dead i would be crying so much. (No he didn't make me say that its TRUE) I prbobaly would have no one can bring him back so if jesus said he could bring kervin back i'd say he was a fool. Martha beilved that jesus would bring Lazarus back and trusted him complety.

See you on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Pastor Lee. I would have got you something, but then I thought for a second and came up with a great idea my presence is your present. As for the devotions its only human nature to not need anybodys assistance when everythings running smoothly, but when even the slightest thing goes wrong we need to find someone to blame and its usually Jesus. Mary would be a typical person in this story not being able to do anything but grieve and Martha would be someone who still grieves, but knows that Jesus does everything for a reason and that there is nothing to worry about. For me I think that Jesus takes everyone for a reason whether it be its just simply there time or there they maybe preventing other from hearing the word of the Lord. I just know that after all the miracles that Jesus performed I would have had the slightest bit of doubt and would have come out of that house 100% confident that Jesus would bring back Lazeraus.

Anonymous said...

First of all I would like to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! You're getting so OLD man !HAHA just playin around . And HAPPY 4th OF JULY !!
Those fireworks were so cool ! And man that swim ! I am NEVER doing that thing again !! But thanks for pulling me that much ! I wouldn't have made it without you ! And don't worry I WILL be back !!

Anyways back to the devotions .
Yeah if my family member died then I would TOTALLY be sad and crying ( even though they get on my nerves ALOT !! ) And I hope they would do the same if i died ! And they can't really blame Jesus for him dying . And they should be thankful that He tried . Well , I guess I will see you in 2 weeks :(

~ Grace ~

Anonymous said...

HAVE A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY PASTOR LEE!

Anonymous said...

Ok i had fun 2 night we went 2 the fireworks and it was kinda cool the fireworks were ok buti had fun with the people.
Ok so Lazurus dies and Martha says to Jesus “Lord, if You had been here, my brother would not have died" and you know thats not always true just because you have Jesus in your life and youer the "greatest" christian in the world doesnt mean that you are always gonna have it perfect because sometimes its Gods plan to let something bad happen so he can make it a better thing for everyone.
P.S. Sorry i havent been on my devos lately i missed it REALLY MISSED IT i mean i thought about about it when i didnt do them.
104okluvu2bye

Jessica M said...

HAPPPPYYYY BIRTHDAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
YOU ARE THE BESTTTTTT!!!! <3

FIREWORKS ROCK...I LOVE THEM!!!

AWWWWWW the story of Lazarus I have heard this time and time again but it still amazes me everytime I hear. Ecspecially now that I am older! We all know the story and you should know it if you read the passage...well Jesus hasn't raised him from the dead jst yet but we all know it is coming. Its like when you are watching a scary movie and you begin to hear that scary, slow music you know that BOOOOOOO...something scary is about to happen hahahahahahahhaha!
Anyway, I think Martha's trust was amazing...we need to learn that!!!! I hope I can!

sorry so short!! I'm all fireworked out...it made me sleepy

cya Sunday

Anonymous said...

sorry the Very merry unbirthday was me since i forgot to tell you happy birthday yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Ok...martha's all like "had u been here EARLIER he wouldnt have died...

Christ does things 4 a reason & this was 1 of em...i dont got alot 2 say cuz im tired& unable 2 focus (personal things goin on)so lets just skip 2 the application

APPLICATION: u need 2 have faith in Christ & believe what hes doin is best...& i need 2 have faith 2 ask of great things like Martha did

Kacey! said...

This kind of reminds me the song Set the World on Fire by Britt Nicole. There is no limit on what God can do. So there souldn't be a limit to what we ask Him. Piont is: ask God great things, and He will make it happen.

Amy :) said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PASTOR LEE!!!
I hope u get your jet ski!~
On the Forth of July I am going to the beach and watching fireworks and we are doing our own fireworks too.

We need to trust in the Lord just like Martha did by saying whatever u do i will trust in You. With our church, schools and communities we just need to ask the Lord for His strength and we need to trust Him because He has a great work and He has plans for them and us as well.

Rachel☺; said...

sorry i wasnt on yesterday, i wasnt home all day and i couldnt go to the freedom swim because my mom changed her mind last minute and didnt want to take me.
happy late birthday pastor Lee!
i got you a card andi guess thatll be belated too.
Well im thinking this is just about trusting God and how different things can be if you do/dont.
Sometimes for me its so hard to trust in something that i cant physically trust, but the more that i do trust, the easier it becomes.
If you ask God for the right things and things that will benefit Him in the ways He has planned, they will happen!
So if i need something i should ask God and see just what hes got planned instead of stressing out.

Anonymous said...

This passage was telling us that if we are close to God he can do anything for us!! things that we can't imagine!!! and it is so amazing that we don't have to pay him or work for him or do good works! all we have to do is except him into our lives!!!!

Tylermon33 said...

well it starts out by Jesus walking into the town and martha comes toward Jesus and says that lazarus is dead and that Jesus should have been there earlier. then Jesus says that lazarus will rise again but martha thought that He meant in the last days. Jesus really meant that He would raise him up from the dead but she didn't know that yet. then Jesus goes on to say that who ever believes in Me shall live again and He asks martha "do you believe Me" and she said yes Lord. wow what a powerful message. so we should never question or doubt God's power because we never know what He can or will do (because later on He raises up lazarus from the dead).

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!