THURSDAY, February 21st, 2008

James 5:1-6

Pastor Lee:
There is an ongoing message throughout these six verses, that makes it clear: the love of money (or things) is the root of all evil. There are several verses that you may not understand and that is fine. The commentator is not even very clear, but let me share what I got and that should help you out.
Verse 5 is definitely the one that jumps out at me. Here is what it is saying: You have experienced the "pleasure of sin for a season" and it left you "wanton". Wanton means self indulgent and wrong. The idea it gives is this, imagine a cow on the day of slaughter, he is just sitting there eating away not knowing that with every bite he is only moments away from death. We are the same way, we indulge in sin, not knowing that every moment we come closer to our spiritual death. Stay away from sin/ Dont be a "fat Cow" when Christ returns!

1 Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.
2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.
3 Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
4 Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.
5 Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter.
6 Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you.

4 comments:

Katie said...

This passage was a little bit tougher to understand, but what I really got from it was don't waste your life.

It really applied to me in the area of selfishness. It is so easy to just be consumed with your own world that you forget the bigger picture. I often get lost in the things going on around me that have only to do with me or my family, and it is easy to lose sight of the big picture. And just like the verse says that the people were left wanting- when I focus only on myself I am left wanting what I don't have. I was thinking about how many times I go to the mall or out to eat and I see people and don't even think about where they are going to spend eternity. How convicted I am that I am more concerned with the shirt I am shopping for than the soul of the person next to me. And after I get that material thing I am looking for, I am still left wanting- I am not satisfied like I would be if I were doing something for eternity. I think this just really challenged me to go beyond myself. It is easy to get stuck in the rut of selfishness, but focussing on self cannot bring any lasting satisfaction. When I put too much attention on myself it only leads to dissatisfaction and insecurity-when I choose to put self aside and serve others I am filled with contentment.

Rachel☺; said...

I probably have this all wrong cause this one is kind of hard for me to grasp, but im trying. In the end, the riches and materials you have wont matter, but the relationship with the Lord will. Its the only thing that does, and nothing you, or anyone else have can be as important. Go ahead and satisfy yourself, but its only temporary. When you ignore the eternities of people around you, it can be just the same as you not caring if they end up in hell! We are often too concerned with the wrong things that turn out to prove us as foolish and selfish. I think this is telling us to focus on the important; live not to indulge in yourself, but to do good for God.

Jessica M said...

I think in these verses, James like in the last ones is reminding us as readers that "friendship with the world is enmity with God." I think money for us seems like a security, a firm foundation, something to "worship" in this uncertain world we live in. When James says "weep and howl" I think he is referring to the congregation and he wants them to repent or to "weep and howl". This could also be referring to consequences if you do not turn from your ways. All these things that you keep as your security and place your confidence in such as wealth will just rot and rust away and soon the rust will turn into evidence, but evidence against you and this evidence being where you come to worship and what you are placing your trust and faith in. I know a lot about God but it becomes more obvious where my faith really lies when I look back to see the life I am living. :( Selfishness cannot survive! So my challenge is to put aside my pride and just give everything I am to Him. What treasures am I really laying up for eternal purposes?

Pastor Lee said...

Jessica, How true! I didnt even think about that. How money can be a security in our mind, but the truth is, it is just a paper that man gives value to, and what kind of security is that. Really!
Great Job!

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!