THURSDAY, January 31st, 2008

Matthew 26: 17-29

Pastor Lee:
Two things happen here:
First we see at the beginning of the passover supper that Jesus explains "one of you will betray me". Then the disciples have a conversation trying to figure out who it will be?
Second, The supper begins and Jesus gives the disciples the bread, and the cup, to symbolize the body and blood of Christ.
I think the most impacting statement in this passage is in verse 24 where Christ says, "Woe to the man by whom the son of man is betrayed, It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.
We sometimes betray our Lord, maybe not to the extent of Judas, but each of us in our own way. Think about ways we may hagve betrayed our Lord and lets post some ways that we can avoid being like Judas.

17 Now on the first day of the Feast of the Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying to Him, “Where do You want us to prepare for You to eat the Passover?”
18 And He said, “Go into the city to a certain man, and say to him, ‘The Teacher says, “My time is at hand; I will keep the Passover at your house with My disciples.”’”
19 So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them; and they prepared the Passover.
20 When evening had come, He sat down with the twelve.
21 Now as they were eating, He said, “Assuredly, I say to you, one of you will betray Me.”
22 And they were exceedingly sorrowful, and each of them began to say to Him, “Lord, is it I?”
23 He answered and said, “He who dipped his hand with Me in the dish will betray Me.
24 The Son of Man indeed goes just as it is written of Him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been good for that man if he had not been born.”
25 Then Judas, who was betraying Him, answered and said, “Rabbi, is it I?” He said to him, “You have said it.”

26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”
27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.
28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”

2 comments:

Katie said...

When I first read this passage, I just kind of thought to myself that I would never be like Judas and I never would have betrayed Christ like that. The more I thought about that, the more it started to bother me. I realized, I betray Christ every single day.Wow- that is embarassing. Every day I make choices that please myself and not God. When I do that I am betraying Him. This passage really made me realize that I need to make sure that I am being faithful to Christ all the time- in every decision I make I have to opportunity to please the Lord or betray Him.

Jillian said...

everyday most of us without even realizing it betray Jesus . . and some of us do notice it
like Judas he knew it was him Jesus was talking about
and ways we can not be like judas is not being ashamed of our God and embaressed of what we believe and standing up for what we believe when someone says something negative about it

the definition of betray is to be false or disloyal to and also to lead astray

so when we betray Jesus we are also leading others astray and maybe that would be there only time to hear about Jesus and instead of speaking up we were embarressed or something and we decided not to say anything or just go along with what was going no so when when we get to heaven that will be someone elses blood on our hands

and just the simple decisions we make everyday can be betraying God like katie said making choices to please ourselves and not God

i know this is something i need to work on alot because when people around me are saying things negative about God or Christianity i hardly ever speak up instead i just sit back and listen thinking that there crazy for thinking that but really if i spoke up and said something they might reasize that what theyre saying is wrong and listen to me and that would open a door for me to witness to others which ties in with the other devotions we had a few days ago

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!