MONDAY, September 15th, 2008

Hey Everyone! I hope that you had a great day of School Today! We had a fun time in Sunday School Yesterday! If you were not there then we missed you!

Genesis 32

1 So Jacob went on his way, and the angels of God met him.
2 When Jacob saw them, he said, “This is God’s camp.” And he called the name of that place Mahanaim.
3 Then Jacob sent messengers before him to Esau his brother in the land of Seir, the country of Edom.
4 And he commanded them, saying, “Speak thus to my lord Esau, ‘Thus your servant Jacob says: “I have dwelt with Laban and stayed there until now.
5 I have oxen, donkeys, flocks, and male and female servants; and I have sent to tell my lord, that I may find favor in your sight.”’”
6 Then the messengers returned to Jacob, saying, “We came to your brother Esau, and he also is coming to meet you, and four hundred men are with him.”
7 So Jacob was greatly afraid and distressed; and he divided the people that were with him, and the flocks and herds and camels, into two companies.
8 And he said, “If Esau comes to the one company and attacks it, then the other company which is left will escape.”
9 Then Jacob said, “O God of my father Abraham and God of my father Isaac, the LORD who said to me, ‘Return to your country and to your family, and I will deal well with you’:
10 I am not worthy of the least of all the mercies and of all the truth which You have shown Your servant; for I crossed over this Jordan with my staff, and now I have become two companies.
11 Deliver me, I pray, from the hand of my brother, from the hand of Esau; for I fear him, lest he come and attack me and the mother with the children.
12 For You said, ‘I will surely treat you well, and make your descendants as the sand of the sea, which cannot be numbered for multitude.’”
13 So he lodged there that same night, and took what came to his hand as a present for Esau his brother:
14 two hundred female goats and twenty male goats, two hundred ewes and twenty rams,
15 thirty milk camels with their colts, forty cows and ten bulls, twenty female donkeys and ten foals.
16 Then he delivered them to the hand of his servants, every drove by itself, and said to his servants, “Pass over before me, and put some distance between successive droves.”
17 And he commanded the first one, saying, “When Esau my brother meets you and asks you, saying, ‘To whom do you belong, and where are you going? Whose are these in front of you?’
18 then you shall say, ‘They are your servant Jacob’s. It is a present sent to my lord Esau; and behold, he also is behind us.’”
19 So he commanded the second, the third, and all who followed the droves, saying, “In this manner you shall speak to Esau when you find him;
20 and also say, ‘Behold, your servant Jacob is behind us.’” For he said, “I will appease him with the present that goes before me, and afterward I will see his face; perhaps he will accept me.”
21 So the present went on over before him, but he himself lodged that night in the camp.

Wrestling with God
22 And he arose that night and took his two wives, his two female servants, and his eleven sons, and crossed over the ford of Jabbok.
23 He took them, sent them over the brook, and sent over what he had.
24 Then Jacob was left alone; and a Man wrestled with him until the breaking of day.
25 Now when He saw that He did not prevail against him, He touched the socket of his hip; and the socket of Jacob’s hip was out of joint as He wrestled with him.
26 And He said, “Let Me go, for the day breaks.” But he said, “I will not let You go unless You bless me!”
27 So He said to him, “What is your name?” He said, “Jacob.”
28 And He said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed.”
29 Then Jacob asked, saying, “Tell me Your name, I pray.” And He said, “Why is it that you ask about My name?” And He blessed him there.
30 So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: “For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.”
31 Just as he crossed over Penuel the sun rose on him, and he limped on his hip.
32 Therefore to this day the children of Israel do not eat the muscle that shrank, which is on the hip socket, because He touched the socket of Jacob’s hip in the muscle that shrank.

Wow! There are two main parts of this chapter... first we see Jacob going back to the land of his father, and he knows that he will have to face his brother Esau. Jacob sends his messenger to tell Esau that He is soming. I love the way that he approaches his brother. He does it very wisely!! Does Jacob have the right to call Esau his servant and march into town like he owns the place? Well, yes, he kind of does. Even God Himself told their family that the older (Esau) will serve the younger (Jacob).

But Jacob does not come into town on a high horse. Jacob comes to his brother with humility. With a LOT OF HUMILITY as a matter of fact. He comes close to the town and sends messengers to tell esau that Esau's servant Jacob is coming into town. Did you see that? Jacob who was the master called himself the servant!! Well, maybe the Bible is correct when it says that the first shallbe last and the servants shall be the chiefs!

When we want to mend a relationship like Jacob is doing here, we should not go in focusing on how great we are and how much better we are than others, instead we should focus on being as humble as possible. By focusing on humility we will not lift ourselves up, but we allow Christ to lift us up.

The second part of this chapter is where Jacob wrestles with God. This is an incredible story where Jacob wrestled with a man all night long. If you do your research you will realize that this passage is actually telling us that Jacob wrestled with an angle all night long sent from God. Why? I dont know. But that is probably something I should know so I am going to do more research on it when I am done here. But we do see that Jacob is passionate and persistent about being victorious and receiving a blessing! What is Jacob would have given up in this fight? Well, I dont know that He would have been blessed like he was. Because he trusted God and obeyed God, and asked for a blessing, God Blessed Jacob! and Gave him a new name... He was now to be Called Israel. Have you ever heard someone say the "Children of Israel" ?? Well, now you know what they are talking about! Literally they are saying: The children of Jacob!!! (and grand children, and great grandchildren and so on)

Well, I hope this chapter spoke to you about taking the low road, being humble but also serving God with passion and the desire to never give up but to be victorious!!

17 comments:

Godservant said...

Well, I guess Jacob is giving his birthright back to Esau because he told his brother through one of his men, "your servant is coming to you." Either that, or Jacob is just lying to gain back his brother's approval back, which I doubt it. Even though it was foolish for Esau to give up his birthright for lousy soup in the first place, (I would have taken the goldfish if they had any back then any day over lousy soup) It was still good for Jacob to give it back. Like Pastor Lee said, "the older sibling comes before the younger one."

taylor =) said...

Jacob was at a higher level (being his bros master) than Esau & he didn't take advantage of the power God gave him.

Anonymous said...

Me & T basically said the same thing

Jacob was at a higher level (being his bros master) than Esau & he didn't take advantage of the power God gave him.

BUT I GOT MORE!!! (when dont I?)

Basically just cuz ya got power don't mean abuse it. Just cuz ya may b "higher" than sum1 don't necisarily make ya better!

we as Christians tend to do that ALOT! I aint gonna lie, i'm guilty of it at times. But 2day i "lowered" myself 2 c a friends position (freshman) lol & helped her out...i coulda blown her off cuz ima JR but i wanted 2 help...

7 I TOTALLY MADE A DIFFERENCE! when she said I made her feel MUCH better it brightened my day

ya c i didnt even do devos earlier & by listenin 2 previous passages bout not puttin urself above others, he glorified me & made me feel i made a difference & i made a close friend 2day=]

Amy :) said...

Thats cool in this passage cause it talks about the older one serving the other one, which doesnt really happen anymore. Your endings Pastor Lee are the best. We should stop being focused on really stupid things and focus on God. God should be the most important thing in our lives.

Anonymous said...

So when they said that he was wrestling with God i have to say that we wrestle with God EVERYDAY and we need to understand if were gonna do something like were gonna say something or do something wrong and we are wrestling with God before we do it that is conviction and i KNOW that if your TRULY saved we struggle with that and we need to be careful and watch that. In John 16:8 It Says "When he [the Holy Spirit] comes, he will convict the world, and show where right and wrong and judgment lie. He will convict them of wrong..." God is gonna convict us of everything weve done wrong on the day of judgement and why would you want to have another thing on your record when God convicts YOU its like court if your going to court for murder you dont go out before the trial and kill someone else thats just dumb its kinda common sense. Also we need to be humble Jacob was and we need to strive to be like that because say your the only person in your school thats a chrstian and you walk into school like you own the place then your not gonna get very many people to like you and thats one more change gone for you to wittness to someone in James 2:24 It Says "You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone" meaning you CANT and i repeat Cant just have the faith you NEED to show the actions.
P.S.5 DAYS TILL DISNEY!!!!!!!!!!

Mallory B (basketball team) said...

Pastor lee if you find out what the reason was that Jacob(Israel)and the angel were wrestling please tell me because I was kind of wondering that when I read your comment! Well this passage is telling us to obey God and trust Him and we will be blessed. Also this talks about how the older serves the younger. Which just like Amy said doesnt happen to much anymore. Honestly it was getting confusing for me because a few passages ago we saw that Esau gave up his birthright for soup and now Jacob is calling himself the servant when he is the younger one who is supposed to be the one getting served by Esau and im not even sure if this makes since but hopefully it does! Basically we need to trust and obey God in all that we do and be humble which i looked up in the dictionary to see what it said and it was to be humble although successful not proud and modest which is exactly how we need to act! bye!

Rachel☺; said...

Im sorry if i post really late tonight, My grandma just got rushed to the emergency room on top of a really bad day.
My mom isnt answering her cll phone and i dont know whats going on but my mom was crying and stuff.
I read the pasage but ill comment later tonight, i cant focus right now im sorry. Today is just going really rough.
i promise ill be back later though

Jessica M said...

Jacob is told, "Go back to the land of your fathers" and is starting to feel the pressure...ugh I hate that! Does he obey God or stay where he is dominated by his father-in-law? It is sad to think but I am a victim of this but it seems like too many times I take the path which requires of me the least change. Learnig to live ny faith needs the willingness, relying on God and knowing HE is in control(I have learned that one fo sho) and pretty much just being able to come out of our comfort zones. To give Jacob the benefit of thre doubt lol, he doesn't argue but obeys God even though he is scared.

I just want to say this last thing and then I will be on my way. This is what I found just from learning more about God and His character of who He is....Our walk with God includes some quiet and uneventful times where wevery rarley see his active intervention. WOW that was a GREAT sentence! WAY TO GO JESS! LOL anyway...... and sometimes during these times it seems like we are not growing spiritualy. But at these most crucial times we are sometimes evwn more dependent on God becasue we have no where else to turn to. I have been called to walk in faith, and as I take these steps I can move to a new place in God.
Thank you lol

xoxoJess

Kacey! said...

So Jacob is really smart. If he would have gone back to see Esau having an 'I'm better than you' attitude, Esau would have probably killed him. Because if I'm not mistaken, then Esau was all manly and Jacob was not. Just as Jacob did, we should try to mend relationships with a humble attitude. It will make the situation a whole lot better.

RYAN said...

so basically this passage is about how Esuh is going to fight Joseph and Joseph is afraid. he tells his servents to go and tell Esuh that they are now his and that Jacob basically gives back the birthright to Esuh. just because you have power that doesnt mean you should misuse it like jacob did.

phil46 said...

Hey Lee! I haven’t left a comment on here and a while, but I really like this story so…. 2 summers ago when I worked at camp, Bro. Gibson came and preached on this passage. It’s probably my fav camp message so far! Just imagine Jacob taking a walk and someone jumps on his back! Wow – I would try to try to throw them off too! Bro. Gibson said “Jacob was trying to throw off his greatest blessing” It made me think, how many times do we try to throw off the blessing that God sends our way. Bro. Gibson also said “God makes the worst thing happen in your also become the best thing in your life.” That was true in Jacob’s life. That’s when he was blessed and names changed like you said! I hope your ministry is going well. Praying for your family! - Olivia

Anonymous said...

rachel i am praying for your grandma and your family.

Anonymous said...

rachel i am praying for your grandma and your family.

Anonymous said...

whoops i said it twice!

Rachel☺; said...

Hmm so theres a lot of forgiveness and humility here, we see that the lower you place yourself in value and priority-wise, the higher you will truly be by God and in your satisfaction when you realize that the other person you are lifting up really IS important and will think of you importantly for your consideration.

I should Be a better servant and remember that esteeming others above myself, is the most important way to be on the right level of humilty and consideration for others.

Rachel☺; said...

testtt

Anonymous said...

i read your notes pastor lee
it was book file by nick link18

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!