MONDAY, March 10th, 2008

I Chronicles 11:10-19

Pastor Lee:
Wow, bear with me, this might be a little tough for you to get at first, but I have color coded parts of it to help you out. In the beginning of this passage (the blue text), we see David "mighty men" mentioned. Then the orange text explains who those men were, which might be important, but that is not what I focused on.
The red text is where the story gets interesting: David is trapped in a cave by many philistines that want to kill him. While David is there he tells three of his men, "Hey guys, I sure wish I had a drink!" So David's "Mighty Men" go out of the cave risking their life, to get David a drink of water. Think about it: David is standing there, Hey mighty men, I am thirsty, see that well, out there past all of those men that want to kill us? Would you mind going and getting me a drink? Please?

Well These definitely are mighty men, and they go out there, risking their life, to get a glass of water for David. Well when they get back David dumps the water out, and said that he should not have sent them out.

I dont know about you, but I would have said, DAVID! you already sent us out and risked our life, you might as well drink the water now!! But the truth is, that realized that what he did was wrong and he did not want to anything good to come from his mistake. I think that is why he poured it out, because then He could say, God I made a stupid mistake, but thank you for saving my men! And because you brought them back safely, I will not enjoy this drink they brought, on behalf of my stupidity, but I will pour it out, as a reminder of my stupidity.

Two quick lessons and then you tell me what you got:
1. Even if your leader is wrong, he is still your leader, and you need to obey him. (unless it is sin)
2. When we make a mistake, we need to admit it and learn from it, not just ignore it!


10 These also are the chief of the mighty men whom David had, who strengthened themselves with him in his kingdom, and with all Israel, to make him king, according to the word of the LORD concerning Israel.
11 And this is the number of the mighty men whom David had; Jashobeam, an Hachmonite, the chief of the captains: he lifted up his spear against three hundred slain by him at one time.
12 And after him was Eleazar the son of Dodo, the Ahohite, who was one of the three mighties.
13 He was with David at Pasdammim, and there the Philistines were gathered together to battle, where was a parcel of ground full of barley; and the people fled from before the Philistines.
14 And they set themselves in the midst of that parcel, and delivered it, and slew the Philistines; and the LORD saved them by a great deliverance.
15 Now three of the thirty captains went down to the rock to David, into the cave of Adullam; and the host of the Philistines encamped in the valley of Rephaim.
16 And David was then in the hold, and the Philistines' garrison was then at Bethlehem.
17 And David longed, and said, Oh that one would give me drink of the water of the well of Bethlehem, that is at the gate!
18 And the three brake through the host of the Philistines, and drew water out of the well of Bethlehem, that was by the gate, and took it, and brought it to David: but David would not drink of it, but poured it out to the LORD.
19 And said, My God forbid it me, that I should do this thing: shall I drink the blood of these men that have put their lives in jeopardy? for with the jeopardy of their lives they brought it. Therefore he would not drink it. These things did these three mightiest.

1 comment:

Rachel☺; said...

Even though the mighty men brought David his water, when he realized how dumb it was of him to send them out and risk them in the first place, realizing that; he did not drink it in respect to God and his mighty men for his selfishness. We should never put other people on the line for our benefit; in other words use them; especially when they could be harmed, and also when we realize what we are doing, we should really follow through with the right thing; even if what we wanted to begin with is right in front of us. To follow the Lord and do what is right is more satisfying than any selfish desire you may ever have.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!