TUESDAY, May 13th, 2008

I must say (once a gain) that you all are the coolest youth group ever. I am so thankful for you guys! I love the unity and the spiritual insite on this devotional blog.

Many Thoughts from Yesterday:
Jeff: Thanks for Helping Yesterday! You are the man! (Even though I beat you in Monopoly... I dont NEED St. James place to Win. Ha! :)
Rachel: I KNOW THE FEELING! I hate it when My computer deletes everything I type. I think they are posessed!
Gaby: Wise Words: "You don't realize at the time that you are being changed, but you are"
McCue: That is exactly right! I think we should all do what you said: " pray for guidance before school every day"
Lucy: You are too funny. I am sorry, but I dont think that your birthday is better, JUST because you are a Girl!
Jill: I liked the fact that your devotions were different: That tells me that you actually read it and thought about it for yourself. Great Job!
Jessica: I am glad that you have such a great friend that you can be so transparent with. You should kidnap Darcy into our youth group :) J/K!
Jackieee: I figured there were not 3 "E's" in your name :)
Josh: I dont think that Paul called anyone an Idiot!... what is the greek word for that?

Whew... on to the devotions!

Philippians 4:1-7

1 Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved.
2 I implore Euodia and I implore Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord.
3 And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.


This passage starts out by telling us to Stand Fast in the Lord. In other words, stand FIRM in the Lord! Paul reminds the church of Philippi this while he is sitting in Prison, then Paul goes on to address a current issue. Imagine how easily it would have been to be very frustrated if you were Paul. You are in Jail suffering for Christ, and the people of the church are fighting and bickering with each other. Yet, Paul, the great example that he is, just tells them simply: Be of the same mind. Be unified! Remember that you are both children of God living to serve God therefore you should NOT be fighting with each other. In verse 3 Paul tells other people to get involved. If we see people in the church fighting with each other: We are not supposed to sit back and watch, or even worse gather around and watch (like they do at your school when there is a fight) We are supposed to get involved in unifying the two! Do you know any people that are not getting along? Well, Paul makes it clear that we as "True Companions, and Fellow Laborers" are supposed to help them work it out!

When we do that then all of us TOGETHER, can rejoice in the Lord! ALWAYS!

I think the next verse is powerful: Let your gentleness be known unto all men: I think of Jesus Christ when I read that. Jesus Christ could have sent fire from heaven to destroy anyone that mocked him, anyone who cursed him, but he showed gentleness. He showed Love!

You are going to love verse 6. DONT WORRY ABOUT STUFF! JUST PRAY ABOUT IT!
It is that simple. When you find yourself beginning to worry about something: Just pray about it, hand it over to God.

Application: I must not fight with my fellow children of God, and if I see any brethren fighting, I need to call them out and deal with it. When We are all at peace THEN we will be able to rejoice the way that God means for us to! I Love It!

Well there is so much in this passage: Maybe you even got something else. Well let us know what you got in your comments today!

17 comments:

jackieee said...

At first reading these passages I didn't get a whole lot from it, may have been the stomach pain. I'll never know. But on looking deeper into it, I realized somthing different. It looks to me that these passages are saying to just belive in Jesus Christ and he will guide you through the good, the bad, and guard your heart . Additionaly there seems to be some mention of helping others to know Christ.

Can't wait for tomorrow! *crosses fingers* hope I'm not still sick.
Oh, an the sign in thing is mean. I put in my password and it says I didn't put the security word in, then I put it in, THEN it says my password is wrong.

weird high school kid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This passage starts out by reminding us to stand firm- we are not supposed to wobble in what we know is right. The next part talks about companionship- or unity in the Gospel. And the last part tells us to rejoice in the Lord and don't let yourself worry.

There is soooooo much application from these verses! In fact the order that they are put in makes so much sense! First, we need to understand what we believe and stick with it. When we do that we can have biblical unity. Then we need to rejoice in the Lord. If we are rejoicing in the Lord it is really hard to be worrying. When we rejoice in Him our problems seem like nothing- He is in control and can handle anything!When we are focussing on Him and praising Him, we will have the peace of God in our life. Peace like we can't even understand! WOW-these are really some amazing verses!!!!!

Amy said...

Paul is a great Bible example of a good Godly Christian man that witnessed to many people. God is our tower and we should be a tower for God like whenever someone looks at us they would see Christ in you. Christs love is the most amazing thing to me if I was Jesus dieing on the cross and watching people curse at me spit at me and just horrible things i think that i would have been soo mad at them that i would'nt die for them but i'm not Jesus and His love is more than anything i could ask for. Jesus has loved me since the beginning of time and even before he created the earth! By the example of the love of Christ we need to show it to others by witnessing to them in love through Jesus and tell them that they need salvation.

Anonymous said...

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! always be glad in Jesus. this passage says to me that we should put are burdens on Jesus and dont take them back like if theres a sin you have and you give it to God and you take it back because you want to start doing it again thats what it means by not taking it back.And if you trust God with your problems then you will have a peace that he will take care of you no matter what and there was a time when my family was going thorugh a hard time and we just put are trust in Jesus that everyting would be fine and we are fine, like now me and Jessica are in a amazing youth group.
Jonathan Massey
12 Days till my B-Day May 24th whoo

Anonymous said...

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! always be glad in Jesus. this passage says to me that we should put are burdens on Jesus and dont take them back like if theres a sin you have and you give it to God and you take it back because you want to start doing it again thats what it means by not taking it back.And if you trust God with your problems then you will have a peace that he will take care of you no matter what and there was a time when my family was going thorugh a hard time and we just put are trust in Jesus that everyting would be fine and we are fine, like now me and Jessica are in a amazing youth group.
Jonathan Massey
12 Days till my B-Day May 24th whoo

Anonymous said...

Sorry it did it 2 times ^

Jonathan Massey

Gaby said...

Pretty much try and find the joy in life. I think the passage is saying that when a person praises god in everything that their life will seem so much more enjoyable. God then tells you that you shouldn't be worried about anything because he is in control and he knows whats going to happen before we do. God is also saying that if you just pray and ask him he will probably do what you want if its not something that he knows can hurt you. Once you learn to do this god will provide your life with so much peace and you will be content.

Application: this applys to me alot right now. I'm trying to trust god with my life but its really hard because I want to be in control. College is coming up so fast and im trying to make a good decision and its really stressing me. Also my relationships with people arent turning out the way i planned but im starting to see that god is allowing this so that i don't screw up what he has for me. I finally realized last night that im going to give my stress to him and let him handle it and whatever happens happens.

weird high school kid said...

Stand fast in the lord always, and rejoice. Rejoiceing is so important paul says it again REJOICE!!! show all men your kind and gentle heart. be patient and the lord will bless you in all you do, and we need to pray to god more to let him know our requests. So finally be at peace for an angry mind may cloud thy judgement.

Tylermon33 said...

what i got from this was that people in the church of Philippi were arguing over something dumb and Paul, which was in prison, was telling them to stop because they are a church and they shouldn't be arguing they should be doing things to honor God and praise God and a church especially shouldn't be arguing. he also says to rejoice in the Lord and you can't rejoice when you are agruing. he also says that if you are having a bad time then all you need to do is Pray it's that simple and easy. also he says in the last verse to guard or hearts and mind which is so hard to do these days, but we can still do it with prayer and God will always hear us, never doubt that!!!

PS. the sight looks cooler now.

Jillian said...

rejoice in the lord always and agian i say rejoice oh man that song is stuck in my head now lol well this is telling me that we should be as one with Jesus "be of the same mind" and like p.lee said we should be forgiving just like Jesus so when people do unkind things to you dont retaliate {or however you spell it}you should turn the other cheek and forgive them because thats what Jesus did for us =]so at the part when it says "be anxious for nothing ..... let your requests be made known unto God"how i inturpreted it was that we shouldnt wish for anything and expect things but if we want things we should pray and ask God for it because if its ment to be the only way we will get it or it will happen is through Himwell idk about you but i wish everyday on 11:11 haha just something silly that ive always done but its funny because it starts as a wish and then it ends up just being a prayer lol the last verse i think is pretty cool because it just assures us that Jesus is always there to protect us and watch ove us
so thats what i got outa this devotion and it might be something totally diffrent then you but oh well lol

Jessica M said...

Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice. Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice, rejoice, rejoice and again I say rejoice...Pastor Lee?? Another song. I'm sure you've heard of this classic. :)

These passages are asking us where we stand on our ground? How is our heart? We are still children of God and should be able to show that attitude to others. The relationship we have with Christ is very important and our relationship with others is as well because as children of God we need to be able to show that to others. But if we are fighting with one another and are not "unified" than we cannot make peace.
Our plans, hopes, and dreams need to come right from the peace of God. But how can we have that peace from God if we are not at peace with others? So I ask myself... What relationships does God want me to work on with right now? Then once I have become unified with whoever I need to be than I can rejoice in the Lord always I repeat Rejoice in the Lord always JUST REJOICE hehehe
Our sinful nature is to show strife so God I pray that you will help me to control that, as only you know how! Because I trust you that you will work everything out.

Rachel☺; said...

Well theres a lot of stuff said in this passage but the one thing i really think about is how it says to stand fast in the Lord.
As Christians, the Lord pretty much lives in you and should be the one thing you always go back to when you have trouble. When it says to 'stand fast' i think of it as telling us to sort of anchor on to God and make him the focus in our lives. Its totally worth giving up everything that distracts you, its the best feeling in the world to really let God handle everything.
Like when i woke up at 4 in the morning the day of my spine surgery, i remember praying till i fell asleep the night before for peace for my mom and i. It was crazy; When i woke up in the morning i was totally calm and didnt worry the whole time they were prepping me or anything! Best feeling ever :] Well maybe some of it was anesthetics, but ya know, whatever.
That was a bigg situation and more of a no brainer to pray about and let God handle, but to really apply it we should wakeup in the morning and think "Today is for You God, i wont worry, You just have Your way"
lol; that reminds me,
my mom has a plaque in our kitchen -Pastor Lee i think you saw it when you came over once- that says "Good Morning; This is God, Ill be handling all your problems today. I dont need your help so just have a good day."

Aznricerunr[PN] said...

The only reason you beat me is cause you IQ is like 200 and your amazing at board games! And cleaning the teen room actually fun any time you need me to do it again I would be happy to.

Pray,Pray,Pray you need to pray and thank God for all the things in your life because he gave them to you. Not thanking God would just be selfish and rude so we need to pray and thank him.

I need to use this in my life by thanking God for all the good and bad things in my life.

Anonymous said...

The fighting between christions reminds me of what u(pastor lee) was talking about in the van last night.

All these different christians fighting over who's religion is right lutherans, baptists, etc.

We know whats right & we should stick to it, & if ur friend believes differently dont shove baptist down their throat!Work it out & unify.

Paul never fought w/anybody & he of all ppl had the right to 4 being put in jail.

while being in jail he STILL spreads the word...what a GRRRRRREAT MAN!!!

McCue said...

Great stuff. I don't know about you, but life can be incredibly stressful sometimes. I often worry about things I can't control or worry too much about things I can control. It's simply amazing what God can do when we leave things up to him. Sometimes I try to mediate about people fighting. Many times the people fighting are so blinded by anger or some or emotion that they can't think clearly. We as children of Christ are responcible to take a christ-like objective viewpoint to try and quell the uproar.

HADOKEN!!! said...

This passage starts out by reminding us to stand firm or to keep faith in God. It goes on to tell us to not be anxious for anything but just to pray about it. If it is in Gods will for you than it will happen. And if not it is better for you.

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!