THURSDAY, February 14th, 2008

Happy Valentines Day!

James 2:10-18

Pastor Lee:
Our Faith is made evident by our works, or our actions. In other words, the proof of my faith is the things I say and the things I do. (Remember that $20 bill principle. : "If I believe that you will give me $20.00 then I will reach for it; therefore If I really believe in Jesus Christ, then my actions should prove it")
This passage makes it clear that we are all guilty of breaking th elaw, therefore we are all going to face judgment! Right? Well, Praise the Lord for verse 13 where it says, "mercy triumphs over judgment." Because of the Lords mercy on me, I no longer have to face the penalty of eternal judgment.

Now here is the key, If I can trust him for my eternity, then I should trust for every day until eternity, AND my actions should prove that trust! What do you think?

10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,”[a] also said, “Do not murder.”[b]Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty.
13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?
15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food,
16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?
17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[c] works, and I will show you my faith by my[d] works.

5 comments:

weird high school kid said...

I think this is pretty cool how the lord gives us so much that even if we break his law he is willing to forgive me of my sin. Its kinda wierd though how if you put it into modern terms or my terms its kinda like getting the death penalty for stealing a penny. Yet even though i should die for taking that penny i won't since I'm saved and I'll get to chill with Jesus up in heaven one day. You know just by doing these devotions is proof of your faith through works since otherwise you wouldn't do them since it would be pointless. I like verses 15 and 16 since its so strange to just think that if there is some naked dude/dudet on the street in the middle of winter that someone would go and say hey hope you can get warm. That would be pretty stupid for someone to do since they obviously could have helped them but didn't. Oh and to answer pastor lee's question I say although it would be pretty hard to show through your actions every waking moment of your life that you trust him we should and by doing so we will be blest. Not that you should live faithfully just to be blest though.

Unknown said...

Awesome passage Pastor Lee. It's amazing how God can bring me these devotionals at the exact time I need them. When i read this passage I also like to look at verse 13 "For judgement is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgement". This reminds me personally that one can judge so easily, but it is harder to have mercy on someone who has wronged you. When we show mercy to those who wrong us I believe God may judge US mercifully.

Amy :) said...

This is a great passage, James is a great passage to preach from, on Wednesday at my school the chapel preacher spoke about this exact subject and its very good. You're right, we are all guilty of every sin we've committed and we don't have to face the penalty of eternal judgement with everyone you should trust God in everything you do, say, and act, and make sure you're a good example.

Rachel☺; said...

>>Happy Valentines Dayy!♥<<

What I seemed to think of this passage was that you can be forgiven for whatever you do but to remember that comitting one sin and not committing another is, in the end with judgement, all the same, a sin; and that all sins commanded to oppose deserve the same consequence for disobedience to the Lord. Also, I find in this that it is pretty deliberate to even claim your faith if you wont take up your responsibility to act on it. In both ways described, take your words and use them; it will keep you pleasantly regarded with not only God, but the people who experience it.

Pastor Lee said...

You Guys Are Incredible!!! Wow! I didnt even think of many of the things that ya'll mentioned! Keep up the good work!

Buffalo Wild Wings Reward Activity!! Thanks for being faithful!

Stay Faithful and Join us Next Time!